Author Topic: New Member and a Coning Alternative  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Machinist John

• Starting Member
New Member and a Coning Alternative
« on: November 06, 2020, 04:44:52 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:24:49 AM by Machinist John »

Offline FALout

Re: New Member and a Coning Alternative
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:09:19 AM »
Nice looking shop you got there, and your project sounds interesting.  I have no clue on where to find a polygonal barrel, good luck on that. 
Bob
Bob

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 05:16:16 AM »
John, I can't help you barrel wise, but I sure am jealous of your backyard playground. Do you have a welder and anvil included?

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
There's a lot of info about Whitworths on the British Militaria Forum.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
Charles Brunton once told me he would make anything I wanted.  I was planning a Pope rifling form project.  Pope used and octagon form with little lands in the corners.  I bet he could do a hexagonal bore at what ever twist rate you specify. 

http://fcibarrels.tripod.com/rifle-barrels.html

Be careful with cartridge rifle barrels.  Until recently they worked well.  I had a dud with a 38-40 pistol barrel used as a ML.  The rifling was just to shallow.

Nice play pen indeed. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
Ah, John, but can you tap dance and sing?  LOL!

Shot an original Whitworth back in 1961.  My elder sister's boyfriend lived in rural Fairfax, VA, and he or his family had an extensive collection.  The Whitworth was just one of many.

If I recall correctly, he used paper patch bullets, and about as much powder (100 gr +/-) as my 1863 Springfield.  Recoil was a bit stiff compared to my Springfield, but nothing really bad.

We were on his 100 yard target range, I fired 5 times, all from the bench.  Made a nice group about 4", but on the down wind side of the target, centered on the 7 ring.  He stuck it back in the rack behind the bench, said he'd clean it later.

Nice rifle!  The guy's Christian name was Mahlon, can't recall the family name.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »
Rice Barrels makes the polygon Alex Henry for the Rod England/Don Brown Alex Henry
long range.They are 7 wide grooves and narrow inverted lands.This system surpassed
the hex Whitworth and is VERY useable with common cylindrical bullets paper patched
or grooved.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:06:11 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 04:06:55 AM »
Have the barrel made extra long.  Lap a choke in it.  Cut a piece off the muzzle.  Use the cut off piece to make a size die for grooved lubed bullets.  By virtue of using a piece of the same barrel that is a smidge smaller than the rest you have mechanically fitted bullet that loads super easy. 

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 04:26:43 AM »
I do not know what a "a custom 458 barrel" is but I am a metallurgistwith some knowledge of barrel steels. For a Whitworth just plain annealed 4140 or 4142 should be just fine, in my judgement. Originals were annealed plain carbon steel, somewhere around 0.35 - 0.40% carbon.
Most American muzzle loading barrels are made of 12L14 screw stock, designed to machine quickly on an automatic screw machine. 12L14 has low ductility. Low fracture toughness on the order of a very good aerospace ceramic and is completely unsuited to hold repeated explosions.

No one on this site will find my opinions at all tolerable.

Find you a good mechanical engineer, preferably metallurgist if they still exist, and chat with him. You are about to make a fine rifle. No reason at all to use the very worst steel that is available.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 05:05:58 AM »
I have no problem with using the barrels made from 12L14 for round ball shooting muzzleloaders.
However , once you get into bullet guns, the pressures go way up !     30 to 35 thousand PSI if I recall correctly.  This is why they used platinum nipples on these guns.  Green Mountain made bullet barrels, as did Badger .   I'm not sure if they are still in the business, but make sure you tell the maker what you are going to do with any barrel you purchase.  I think Track of the Wolf sells bullet barrels
 of 4140  The .45 cal ones were 1 in 18 twist

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
The late Bill Roberts rebarreled a Rigby or similar rifle with a .458 Douglas blank with a 1 in 18 twist
and I watched him shoot it at 500 yards at Friendship with good results.I made a long range gun with
a GM blank and Don Brown breech plug and shot it at 500 meters with fine results and used grooved
lubed bullets up to 560 grains weight.
The debate about 12L14 for barrels is an ongoing thing but I think Rice makes bullet gun barrels from
4130 or some similar material.I support the experienced opinions of degreed metallurgists when it comes
to rifle barrels.
Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
Rice Barrels makes the polygon Alex Henry for the Rod England/Don Brown Alex Henry
long range.They are 7 wide grooves and narrow inverted lands.This system surpassed
the hex Whitworth and is VERY useable with common cylindrical bullets paper patched
or grooved.
Rice doesn't sell those barrels direct.  You can only obtain them from Rod England.  There are a number of builds in the past by myself, Snapper, and most recently by Curtis.  You can use the search function to locate those threads.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 08:03:18 PM »
As far as the grade of steel is concerned, 4130 might be preferred over the higher carbon 4140/4142 grades. But, and a very large BUT, 4130 is commonly available as steel tubing used for things such as customized vehicle frames. Problem here is "seamless" tubing. Occasionally "seamless" is not in fact seamless. It can have a nice crack down the bore, where it cannot be seen by eye. This crack can well be found by a magnetic particle inspection machine. Reckon your barrel maker has one in his shop? Remington does (did circa 1997)
I have personally observed such cracks on three occasions. Two were in my job, very highly alloyed (25%Chromium 20%Nickel, for one) $$$ materials used for extreme temperature service. Third was in some heavy wall 1018 (plain low carbon steel) tubing made here in Michigan. A friend had turned a piece for a pistol barrel I was going to use. Whoops! He observed cutting fluid leaking out of it. On observation it had a crack right down the bore, opening up to the O.D. where the barrel was swamped. In total these represent two or three different tube mills, disremember which.
I personally only speculate that these cracks begin when a billet of metal, with a hole drilled down the center, is heated white hot and extruded into a tube, with molten glass for a lubricant. After extrusion (kinda like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube) that long hollow thing is cleaned of its scale and cold-drawn down to the tubing size the mill wants. Pretty much the same process whether it is good ol' 1018 steel tube, 4130 alloy steel, or the fancy high nickel stuff I used to worry about.
As to 12L14, this rifle was loaded with 80 grains GOEX FFFg and a 370 grain Maxi-ball lubed with Crisco, Remington caps. Circa early 1980's. The shooter had 12 years experience shooting and hunting with a muzzle loader. He marked his ramrod to ensure that the ball was well seated on the powder. We shall not discuss his injuries, save that he had to cease being a union pipe fitter. If any of you wonder why a well-known West Virginia barrel maker ceased to advertise muzzle loading barrels mid 1980's, well I don't suppose I can say in print that this just might have something to do with it.

Offline Machinist John

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
Cleaned up my posts and removed the photos showing centerfire rifle work.  Sorry guys, my mistake.

Also removed the extraneous posts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:09:46 PM by Machinist John »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
If contemplating shooting bullets, I would most certainly go with a known barrel steel from GM or other 'modern' barrel makers.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joey R

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 03:25:49 AM »
Considering your profile and where you reside I would think you and another member here David Rase could strike up a very fruitful conversation on this “hobby” we love.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 03:37:43 AM »
Rice has a 4140 fast twist bullet barrel on their website.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 11:34:20 PM »
Rice Barrels makes the polygon Alex Henry for the Rod English/Don Brown Alex Henry
or grooved.
Bob Roller

I will check it out, thanks.

I am not convinced the original Whitworth polygon is the cat's meow.     The 21 inch twist might be it.   I will run Postells through the Sharps with 18 inch twist for some trials.   I have sizer dies in .456, .457 and .458.   One should work out.

18" will work better with long bullets in 45, the last LR bp/lead bullet guns in the US used 18 twist. Remember when the gov't adopted the 22" the 405 gr bullet. The longer bullet was an after thought.
Also Greenhill's formula is always about 2" slower than it what works best being intended to calculate twist rates for ML artillery.
I and a "rifle crank" friend once (back about 40 years) had a barrel cut by Ron Long that was rifled with a .456" or .457"  BORE. It allowed a Lyman 457125 to be started with the fingers with none of the coning fad. The bullet design does not suffer from having the nose slump off center so a soft alloy could be used. Recovered bullets would show bore riding nose was really riding the bore all the way to the ogive.  It shot pretty good for our knowledge level of the time. Needed a platinum lined nipple even with 70 gr of powder. IF I were going to make a LR ML I would set it up with a false muzzle with a guide starter and shoot PP bullets.  No leading and the bullet is more aerodynamic for LR shooting. I would likely play around with swage making too. Though somewhere in the shop there is a 40 and a 45 swage already that work pretty good.
The twist rate much over 18 in a  45 cal bullet gun is a mistake IMO. Cast bullets ALWAYS have flaws, the greater the RPM the greater the chance there will be a flaw that will cause a flier. Greater than a slower but adequate twist would produce. I know a guy (that rifle crank) who played with this.  This is why the old time slug gun shooters, the precision bench rest shooters of their day, used swaged bullets from before the US Civil War. They also used false muzzles on the guns with a guide starter. The false muzzle was crowned or relieved so that the muzzle of the barrel was left perfect. They often used a "cross" paper patch.  Some used two piece bullets with a harder streamlined nose to prevent slumping under initial acceleration, the two pieces were then swaged together. Swaging cast bullets reduces the size or any flaws in the bullet. Also if you are REALLY serious you need to find a barrel maker that is expert in precision barrels, like Krieger or maybe Bartlein barrels or one of the others and ask about coning.
And finally the LR percussion rifles the Whitworth and Rigbys etc were designed for quasi military rifle competitions. All comments to the contrary not withstanding they were not the high precision rifles of their day being rules limited in weight and used unsupported in matches.
In context of this website...
Elongated bullets in MLs are problematic for any use other than military tactics of the 19th c or competition on a range. For hunting they are prone to slide away from the powder charge. This was a problem with the military as well (the Minie Ball and variants if not thee then the close to the most useless projectile for civilian purposes (the military never did make it work for the cavalry) ever invented, the original  "Maxi-Ball" is not far behind). While the cloth patched "Picket" or "Sugar Loaf" bullets would no move off the powder they still needed a guide starter to obtain usable accuracy. Without the starter, precisely fitted to the barrel and the ram carefully fitted to the bullet nose accuracy is "problematic". The one I made for my 40 cal experiment weights about a pound and they are easily damaged. No matter what one might think from reading Ned Roberts. The the average person staid with the round ball for the ML rifle. And not just because of the extra gear needed to shoot elongated bullets. If we read Greener, Baker  "A Hunters Wanderings in Africa" and especially Forsythe "The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles" we will see that there were and are killing power issues that favored the RB.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 12:05:43 AM »
I do not know what a "a custom 458 barrel" is but I am a metallurgistwith some knowledge of barrel steels. For a Whitworth just plain annealed 4140 or 4142 should be just fine, in my judgement. Originals were annealed plain carbon steel, somewhere around 0.35 - 0.40% carbon.
Most American muzzle loading barrels are made of 12L14 screw stock, designed to machine quickly on an automatic screw machine. 12L14 has low ductility. Low fracture toughness on the order of a very good aerospace ceramic and is completely unsuited to hold repeated explosions.

No one on this site will find my opinions at all tolerable.

Find you a good mechanical engineer, preferably metallurgist if they still exist, and chat with him. You are about to make a fine rifle. No reason at all to use the very worst steel that is available.

Some of us understand barrel steels having been in a place, as you probably recall, that seemed to collect blow up reports like a magnet for a time.  I once went face to face with a big German ethnicity guy I worked for over 1144, the "Stressproof" grade no less by the paint marking, used for certain barrels where I worked.  He  changed the next batch to 4140, which caused a cloud of bad language by one of the workers over the machining properties. The neat part was the deep dovetail in the bottom flat over the chamber.  They were heavy and the blanks were turned to 1.25" at the muzzle end to fit the gun drill. I had a heavy rifle on order and wandered back to watch the button rifling process to find that about 10% were splitting from the point the diameter was reduced to the muzzle. Causing me to look up the paint marking and the rest was history. The discussion was then heated to the point that my wife, working in the plant at the time, got between us.
ML barrels?  I have read, on this site, some REALLY scary things related by a "barrel maker". Use of blanks with obvious flaws. Sloppy workmanship is the norm. Especially in the breeching. And its not just one maker. But he knew I was right.
I do have a question though. From my reading the Gov't spec for military small arms barrels is 41V50 and has been since before WW-II. I also KNOW, from personal experience, that whatever they used in the 1960s it can be fired at very high heat levels, nice red glow or higher. But its nearly impossible to make MLs and not use what one barrel maker called "pipe bombs" in a phone conversation. I have a small supply of GM barrels and a heavy barrel of 4150 GB. One is getting cut into pistol barrels.
Most here don't want to hear it. Its too scary or they simply will not believe. Worse I have one I would probably sell but for the barrel. 
Regards
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine