Author Topic: Seeking Opinions  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Molly

Seeking Opinions
« on: November 08, 2020, 06:18:34 AM »
Here are a few photos of a rifle we have had for some time.  It was the stepsister in a pair that was purchased at the same time.  It's a sound rifle and I would appreciate opinions about its origin and any other info you care to offer.  More info will be added later when I can dig it out.  The barrel is 45 inches and overall it is 61 inches.  Current guess is it is about 38 to 42 cal.  When we find it I'll measure and revise the info.  Very heavy barrel.  Originally flint ??

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:33:04 PM by Molly »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Seeking Opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »
The simplicity of the gun, with its small  box and military side plate, suggests to me it is a state contract rifle circa 1810-1815. I'm looking at the butt height/thickness and lock style to help date this rifle.
Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:08:20 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »
Interesting.  The stock is thin.  At the wrist it is 1 and 1/8th and that reduces as you move to the butt to about 1 and 1/16th.  From tip to tip the butt is right at 4 inches.  The muzzle shows some "aggressive" looking rifling. Photos added.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:20:34 PM by Molly »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »
It looks like the lock at one time was a flint lock but whether or not the rifle was
at first fired by flint and steel  is open to discussion.The stock in the area over the
lock SEEMS to have a scalloped area that at one time gave a flint cock a place to
stop.The fit of the drum and lock plate is non existent and once again the possibility
of the lock is a replacement.This is only one man's opinion and nothing more.
Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 11:14:36 PM »
It sure seems to have plenty of early percussion  cap erosion. I suspect it was converted to percussion early on.

Bob I think a lot of the "gap" between the drum and lock plate is shadow from the drum when photographing it.
I think it's the original lockplate.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:31:10 AM »
Dennis is basically correct.  Most of the dark is a shadow however there is a gap toward the front side of the drum.  To the bottom and rear it's pretty tight.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 02:28:41 AM »
Is the stock cherry? The box has a New England look, but the toe plate box release is very similar to those of John Derr of Berks County, PA.
Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:44:34 AM »
Cherry ??  Walnut??  We have always just taken it as walnut but with the question comes greater scrutiny.  The grain and color are very accurate in the photos.  So much of it is covered in "black stuff".  The grain does not look as coarse as walnut should but the color does not seem red enough for cherry and still not brown enough for walnut.  Darn if we really know.  We did remove the butt plate to look at some wood as it may be without grime or finish.  I must say the grain and color do lead to thinking it may be cherry.

Patch box release is found on many PA guns but I have seen it on others including VA guns, but it's not common outside of PA I suppose.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »
The stock wood looks like rather plain maple to me. If you enlarge the view with the rear pipe, you can see the wood clearly. If it was cherry, I would think the white annular rings would be black, or at least very dark. Despite the reddish tone, I believe this is a maple stock.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
Maple seems the most likely.

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 01:57:18 AM »
Quite surprised at the lack of opinions but thanks to those who offered them here as well as the PM's.  Funny how some threads go on endlessly over was it made in 1789 or 1792 or some other minor detail.

I guess it's just a darned old gun ready for the scrap heap of darned old guns, of which there are many.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 02:40:03 AM »
Quite surprised at the lack of opinions but thanks to those who offered them here as well as the PM's.  Funny how some threads go on endlessly over was it made in 1789 or 1792 or some other minor detail.

I guess it's just a darned old gun ready for the scrap heap of darned old guns, of which there are many.

I’ll take it if you don’t want it lol

Offline far55

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:04:20 AM »
Set triggers ? How common is this on a trade gun ?   Thanks, Roland

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 04:36:26 AM »
Actually, I do not want it.  Not to say it would be a gift however