Author Topic: Some more knife pictures..and Wm. Clark's knife  (Read 1979 times)

Offline jbigley

Some more knife pictures..and Wm. Clark's knife
« on: November 09, 2020, 03:29:50 AM »

As you've probably guessed, I like knives. I like making knives, mostly as "users," not as artwork.  (I don't have an artistic bone in my body).
The top knife is William Clark's knife, now owned by his great, great, great, great grandson, Bud Clark, who I met when he came through Salmon in 2005, when he was re-tracing his famous ancestor's journey to the Pacific and back. I got to view the knife and thought it was pretty cool, so...I decided to try my hand at making one.
The second picture is my rendition of the knife. Not an exact copy for sure, but so what. I made it in my blacksmith shop using 5160 truck spring steel, pewter, elk antler slabs, and 1/8" brazing rod pins. I do not have a modern shop, so the work is pretty primitive. No lathe for turning walnut or other wooden hafts, so I used what I had available--elk antler.  I gave the knife to Ron Hood, and I think Karen still has it.
The third picture is a group that I made a few years back. The top one is a 7" Damascus dagger with fluted bone haft, brass guard, and cast pewter butt cap The bottom three are little Damascus neck daggers. The dark-hafted dagger is a large double edge dirk, fluted horn haft,  German silver guard, cast pewter butt cap. It is the only one that I still have out of that group of knives. Thanks for looking. --JB

Offline Notchy Bob

Re: Some more knife pictures..and Wm. Clark's knife
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
That second knife (the one just below the Wm. Clark knife) is reminiscent of the Caiaphas Hamm Bowie.

Nice work!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline jbigley

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Bob. I'm not familiar with Caiaphas Hamm's work, and admittedly, my rendition of Clark's knife is not an accurate "replica." That said, --and this is not an excuse, just a reason--  forged blades,and other forged items, sometimes take on a life of their own, and become what they become. In many cases, the result is more pleasing than the intended object. Not to say that you *cant'* make what you first intended to make, just that sometimes the end result is better. :D --JB

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »
I appreciate your response, JB.

Caiaphas Kennard Ham (one "m"... I misspelled it before) was a neighbor and buddy of brothers Jim and Rezin Bowie.  There is a short biography of him here:  Caiaphas K. Ham.  Mr. Ham was evidently not among the defenders of the Alamo, but the knife that was associated with him is reportedly on display there.  Here is an image of it from the web:

The knife was reportedly made by Lovell Snowden in 1826.  It bears a very strong resemblance to the knife you made, except the original was hafted in wood instead of antler, and yours, if anything, is more graceful.  A number of craftsmen have attempted to copy the original, with more or less success.  You can Google "Caiaphas Ham Bowie" and select the "Images" option, and you should find a bunch of them.

Keep up your good work!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline jbigley

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:53:13 PM »
Hey thanks for the picture and the kind words,NB. That original Bowie sure looks like a “skull cleaver.”  I will certainly look up more info on Caiaphas Ham.  Thanks for the info.—JB

Offline mony

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 01:06:12 AM »
Really nice work. I like them all. If you decide to sell some, I hope you will post them here first.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
Really nice work. I like them all. If you decide to sell some, I hope you will post them here first.
Thanks for the kind words. As of now, the only one I still have is the horn handled dirk. The rest are...well, gone. Sold, gifts, etc; don't remember.
Butt...If (when) I make more and decide to sell, I will post here, in the For Sale Forum, first.
One of my winter projects is to make a wide blade Damascus dagger. I already have the blade, just need to figure out what kind of material to use for the haft. Maybe another spiraled horn. I'll let you all know..
Thanks for looking --JB