Author Topic: Attention postal shooters  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Attention postal shooters
« on: November 11, 2020, 01:17:07 AM »
You postal shoot guys made the big time. Awhile back Dennis Neely of Woods-N-Water News: Michigan's Premier Outdoor Publication contacted me about using information from our forum in an article he was writing about Black Powder shooting during the COVID-19 pandemic. I gave my permission hoping to see some of our member ingenuity written up in public media. I received a copy of the October issue and below is a scanned excerpt about ALR's postal matches.
Click photo to enlarge

Any of you interested copies of the Oct. issue may call the publisher at 1-810-724-0254. Anyone interested in subscribing to this publication should be able subscribe to both digital or hard copy at this URL https://woods-n-waternews.com/2020/09/02/7647/

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

Re: Attention postal shooters
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:27 AM »
Well done, Dennis. Thanks for posting this.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 01:28:29 AM »
Written by an enterprising reporter.  And I concur that the subject is worthy of the news.  I can't help but reiterate the writer's observation that the Americans are having trouble competing against us Canucks.  That will undoubtedly change as more people get out and put in the trigger time.  Practice definitely makes a huge difference, not to mention young eyes and steady muscles, Justin.  Ah alas, they increase as we diminish.  So beit.  It's all good.
Thanks for posting this Dennis.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 04:26:16 AM »
Wonderful !
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline old vet

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 02:20:12 AM »
Good information on the postal match.  Hopefully that will get more people shooting black powder.

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »
We have a lot of people who say they shoot black powder right here, but for reasons I can't fathom, very few participate in the ALR Postal Matches.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 03:13:39 AM »
I'd like to know that too, Taylor. I suspect that one factor may be difficulties printing targets. Other than that I have no idea. We should have like 50+ people participating.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 04:57:24 AM »
Our club had monthly matches and weekly targets. Then we did make up matches for all the ones we missed during the early Covid outbreak so had club matches every 2 weeks. It’s been keeping me busy. Will try to do this more after our last local match.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 05:30:22 AM »
I'd like to know that too, Taylor. I suspect that one factor may be difficulties printing targets. Other than that I have no idea. We should have like 50+ people participating.
Should be no problem there, all office supply print centers that I am familiar with will print from a thumbdrive or you can just email them the photo. Just be sure to tell them what kind of paper to use and for the to print actual size.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:26 AM »
Justin: I find it hard to believe there are very many members who have less computer skills than me. To simplify this downloading issue I simply opened a file and named it postal matches. I bring up the target, right click and select "save as". Rename the download to something like November target and download it to that file. Then I can bring it up and send it to my printer where I can size it and print as many as I need. Now if a simple old man with very few computer skills can do it anybody should. Now if someone selects a target that is over 8.5x11 I am in trouble.
"Muskrat" Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 09:47:01 PM »
Me too, Mike. :o  However, targetz.com has a much of animal targets that print on several sheets of paper and you put them together.
At least this is how I understood their directions/description.  I balked at trying it out. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
I've owned muzzle loading rifles since the 70s. But I didn't start competing with them until the late 90s. There are lots of shooting disciplines that took up my free time.
 I have found through out the years regardless of what shooting sport you are talking about, not every one involved in them are what you would call competitive shooters.
There are folks that  satisfy their shooting needs with a monthly club shoot. Some, specially with muzzle loading clubs, are more interested in the social aspects of their clubs, and shooting is just a byproduct of that.
Most of the folks that post targets in ALRs Postal matches are competitive shooters. Folks that are not satisfied just shooting once a month, and even less satisfied with shooting poorly. I believe that the best practice is to be had when competing against other like minded folks, Competition sets the bar and lets you know what is possible.
So I don't think the folks who are not participating in the Postal matches, do not have poor computer skills. I think maybe they do not like to compete.
There are a lot of folks on ALR that are new to muzzleloaders. Some are even new to shooting. They may be  intimidated by the level of play evident in these matches. There are really good shooters here.
I think these matches are fun and for me gets me out of my normal shooting routines.
The matches make me wish I had the means to go all around the country and even North of the border and shoot with all the fine fellows that shoot these matches.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »
I would compete in the postal matches but I'm not connected to a printer. I do all of this ALR stuff with an iPhone and a tablet.  Shooting the target isn't an issue.  I own a pretty nice shooting range.  8)
Stop Marxism in America

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »
I use an I-pad, no printer. Not a very good shot anyway. ::)

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »
SC:  give me your mailing address please.  If I am lucky enough to win another of these, I will happily mail you a bunch of targets so you can play.  Same goes with anyone else unable to print the target.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline ranger76

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »
Taylor maybe send the information to Yvonne she will get out there.

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:54 AM »
ranger76:  are you referring to our Yvonne Clarke?  She's not a member of this board, as far as I know.  How do you see her able to help?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »
I would compete in the postal matches but I'm not connected to a printer. I do all of this ALR stuff with an iPhone and a tablet.  Shooting the target isn't an issue.  I own a pretty nice shooting range.  8)
[/quote
Wayne if you like I will print enough for the both of us for next months match. I will gladly mail them to you.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
[/quote
Wayne if you like I will print enough for the both of us for next months match. I will gladly mail them to you.
Thanks Guido for your kind offer! I just discovered that my daughter has a printer hooked up. Clueless me!! No excuses now.
Stop Marxism in America