Author Topic: Small Horn - Repair Needed Before Completed  (Read 929 times)

Offline Kevin

Small Horn - Repair Needed Before Completed
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:03:36 AM »
So, I was going do some practice aging on a small horn and ended up "aging" it with a real repair.

I found a small crack up the side after I had set the plug.  I had softened the horn with some heat thinking I'd get a really good fit to the plug but must have been a bit ham-fisted with the horn in the assembly process.

Figured I might as well attempt to salvage the project.  I filed a small flat over the crack and fit a scrap of horn over it.  After the glue dried and I dressed down the edges but some corners seemed like they could still be easily caught on something.

In for a penny, in for a pound.  I did a "home-grown" rawhide repair over the first fix.  Sort of the belt & suspenders approach.

Feel free to take a look and learn from my missteps.

The scraped surface of the horn did get a blushed vinegar & iron solution treatment.  The red on the plug is Salem Red from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company that has been rubbed back pretty hard with a brass bristle brush.  The wooden pins were fashioned from round toothpicks and the ends were rubbed with a pinch of good old dirt that was hiding in a corner of the basement floor.

Enjoy,
Kevin

url=https://ibb.co/742zhKb][/url]

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Small Horn - Repair Needed Before Completed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:46:07 AM »
 Nice job, looks good.

Tim

Offline old george

Re: Small Horn - Repair Needed Before Completed
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »
I agree with Tim, good salvage job.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)