Author Topic: r/r groove  (Read 1101 times)

Offline yip

r/r groove
« on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »
  should the ram rod groove run paralell with the bore of the barrel? i'm trying to make this rifle slim looking and read something about using a 6/32" lock bolt on the front the lock.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: r/r groove
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »
What matters is the distance between barrel and groove at the muzzle and barrel and hole at the lock bolt. Lay the barrel on a table. Get a very long straightedge. I’ve got a 5’ long piece of square steel channel. Snug the straight edge up to the barrel with the gaps you want at the muzzle and front lock bolt. That helps you visualize.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:28 PM »
 Yip, Rich's recommendations are good. A straight barrel is pretty straight forward. A swamped barrel you need to do like Rich does. I personally don't like to use a 6-32 front lock screw. I will if necessary to correct something. Your muzzle cap will also determine the web thickness to some extent. I use a milling machine with an 8" rigid backstop   for cutting in the ramrod channel. I would rather have a little more wood in the forestock for strength. You will need at least an 1/8" thickness for pins and adequate thickness of the lug where it goes over the pin. You can do an awful lot with forestock moldings to make a forestock look thinner.

Dave

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Perhaps I determined the direction of the RR groove using a more time consuming way {swamped bbl} but it came out as I wanted. After measuring the swamped bbl in a few places, I then determined dims that measured from the top flat to a dowel pin laying in the RR groove.  To really make the RR groove consistent, a size board that was 12" long w/ the desired radius filed on had a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper that was used to make the groove  straight. No guessing w/ this procedure but it did take awhile, so after the 4th LR, began having the work done.

All the Bucks  County LRs I've built have a 1/16" or slightly less web at the breech and 5/32" at the muzzle and used a #6-32 front lock bolt and an #8-32 for the rear. Never had any problems using a #6-32 lockbolt...afterall it only holds the lock in and the inlet does most of the work. The 1/16" web requires a special bbl lug for the 1/16 dia music wire  which I use for all the pins in a LR.......Fred