Author Topic: new kit builder - Kibler SMR  (Read 2060 times)

Offline wayoutwest

• Starting Member
new kit builder - Kibler SMR
« on: November 15, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
Yet another new kit builder thanks to Jim's innovations with a CNC. I've wanted to build a long rifle for a while but never really felt any of the kits that would produce a rifle I would want to own seemed realistic for a neophyte builder. Hopefully it doesn't blow up in my face, literally or figuratively!

I think I know the answer but once I have finished whatever inletting is necessary, should I stain and finish stock and then install all the parts?

not necessarily a building question but...the SMR barrel is so long that I can't find a range or cleaning rod long enough. Should I just get one of the long hickory range rods that TOTW sells? I was hoping for one that would pack down.

If there are any successful Kibler SMR builders that want to add in advice please feel free.

I'll update this thread with updates over the next week or so. Thanks!

Sam

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: new kit builder - Kibler SMR
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
This is what I use for a range rod and cleaning.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/566/1/RAMROD-C-44-10
Rice also sells them.  I put together Jim's colonial kit and there was very little inletting if anything at all.  Few corners cleared out if I recall.  I finished fitting all of the parts including polishing the metal and then the finish was put on the wood.  Good luck. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
Check out Jim’s videos for good explanations of the process, I figure with these guiding it’s hard to mess up

It’s not so much a step by step, but the NMLRA has a series of videos from a recent class where students built Kibler kits as well. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeX1hP_vYp_Ty_XrixIbIsnQ-jLnF-PWu
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »
Install all parts first to obtain good fit while sanding. Disasemble prior to final stain and finish, then re-assemble.  You might want to get Chuck Dixon's book.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »
.....not necessarily a building question but...the SMR barrel is so long that I can't find a range or cleaning rod long enough. Should I just get one of the long hickory range rods that TOTW sells? I was hoping for one that would pack down.......

Jim Kibler sells a 46" range rod that is long enough for your SMR once the cleaning jag is put on the rod.  Also Rice Barrels sells a 48" range rod.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 12:22:26 AM »
Check Jim's web sight for range rods. He has them for the SMR.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 02:16:10 AM »
We have a local shop that sells aircraft-grade stainless rods. I have no idea what the #'s are for this material, but I bought a 48" 5/16" rod of it, drilled and tapped one
end for jags and brushes, and epoxied a wooden handle, a piece of birch branch on the other end. This is useful for cleaning my 44" .50 bl., however, until I started using
'range' rods, I simply used the rifle's rod - for a couple decades, actually.  they always worked just fine.

In Jim's video - WOW - that skinny long fit!!!!! shocked I am, but shouldn't have been. I believe even I could build that kit. ;D
Now I just have to save up some sheckles.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:22:05 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline heinz

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 03:03:25 AM »
Log Cabin's standard hickory ramrod is 48 inches long.  They are happy to ship if you buy a minimal number of them
kind regards, heinz

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 03:30:13 AM »
If you are indeed way out west, Muzzle Loader's Building Supply always has an adequate supply of rods.  Do NOT buy just one, however.  Buy 3 or 4 at least - the shipping is the same.  They are in southern Idaho, so maybe not too far for you.  Terry Jo will take good care of you!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
I have a Rice Range rod for my SMR, cheap, simple and well made.