Author Topic: New gun  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
New gun
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
This is what happens when you have no plan. I just started shaping and adding things I liked based on other guns I liked, old and new without copying anything directly, only using them for inspiration. Have at it fellows.

L&R lock & triggers, Rice barrel,.54cal., 46"lg. with hooked breech, purchased through Eric Kettenburg's deal with Rice barrel company, Thank you Eric, Its the most accurate barrel I have used to date. Red maple blank from Wayne Dunlap. Butt cap, Trigger guard from Reeves Goering.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline RobertS

Re: New gun
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
I think it's very nice and quite pretty to look at it.  Thanks for showing it around.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »
Robby:  From what I can see in the photos-- excellent workmanship and good taste in your decoration esp. the cheek rest side of butt stock.  For further critique need to see it in person.  Why did you choose a " hook breech"?       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi Robby,
Wow!! Well done.  You've created an elegant and sleek rifle.  Your woodworkmanship is superb and engraving is top notch.  My only reservations are the pronounced brass inlays around the patchbox.  They are very well done but the technique and style doesn't appeal to me on longrifles regardless of who does it.  It always seems to me like painting one of Raphael's Virgin Marys in a Grandma Moses.  That is only my opinion and taste and in no way diminishes your achievement.  I heartily admire your work.  Thanks for sharing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
Well, other than getting the lock and patchbox on the wrong side.......It is quite a "tricked out" lady!!  Interesting ideas and not at all hard to look at......Nice contemporary piece. Your craftsmanship is evident!!  Thanks for the pics.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:21 PM »
I agree, nice contemporay piece.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »
Nice contemporary gun, Robbie.  I find the architecture really pleasing. Great 'flow' in the wrist between lock and butt. I also am with Hugh, in that I'd have to look at in person to be able to say more.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

eseabee1

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:11:17 AM »
nice looking weapon you got there

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:18 AM »
Robbie....what is that shiny brass thing down on the end of the butt stock, never used one of those before.........Don

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »
WOW!!! I enjoy looking at rifles that builders create when they do what they please, and not try and stick to a certain school, or any period correctness. Just my opinion!! I love the rifle.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 02:54:17 AM »
Great job Robby, I like it alot.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Madcaster

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »
 Hey,at least it is an individual piece,and shows what YOU like!The craftsmanship is good I think.

Offline VP

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 04:29:12 AM »
Roby,
Your gun is great. Beautiful carving, engraving and inlay work. I love to have a gun that came together like yours. Good work.

lew wetzel

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:13:18 PM »
love the lock panels and entry thimble..carving is really sharp...nice rifle!!!

eagle24

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
Beautiful rifle and excellent work!  You definitely have some talent.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
Hugh, #64 in RCA is a Buck's county gun by John Shuler. The hook breech is a small detail, but to my eye, it is a big factor in giving it a line that keeps me coming back for another look, thats pretty much why I went with the hook breech. Thank you for the complements, the carving comes from the Lehighs, especially  Eric Kettenburg's beautiful guns, the hunters star is elephant ivory and ebony. I had to try it after pouring over The Jaeger book I got from Jim Chambers. The tendrils around the patchbox was an inspiration from David Prices beautiful guns. Raphael and Grand Ma Moses, Yeah Dave, I can kind of see that ;D, I wanted the metal to stand proud of the wood, maybe there is a little too much pride there, isn't that what goes before the fall?! Thank you for the good words.
The political statements on the wear plate and thumb piece were directly motivated by my daily reading of the newspaper.
Acer, I worked pretty hard to get that "flow" and for you to note that specifically is much appreciated, take a day trip, you can see it in person.
Don, I think those shiny brass things you referred to are called butt caps or plates. I haven't been doing this very long and can't help but stick shiny things all over the place, but slowly, I'm beginning to see that sometimes less is more.
Thank you all for the good words, I really appreciate them. I know that this type of gun isn't for everybody, especially the hard core traditionalist, but it is fun to make and forces me to stretch what meager abilities I might have. In my real life I'm a pretty plain, meat and potatoes, Joe six pack kind of guy. The photo pretty much sum's it up.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
Robby:   Thanks for the reply and reference to the Shuler gun-- I wondered if that gun was an influence to you- I was right.  I also thought that you might be wanting to remove the barrel quickly for cleaning , changing or take down purposes, which is what the hook breech is designed for.  Also wondered if you used pins through the barrel tenons or keys? I once knew a flintlock builder and shooter who , not only removed the barrel, each time, for cleaning but also removed the breech plug as well!  There is no need to do this.  Once I've installed the breech plug and the barrel I never remove either unless there needs to be a repair made of some kind.  Anyway thanks for sharing your photos with us-  it is nice to see other fellows and their work!   Hugh  Toenjes 
H.T.

caliber45

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 02:45:30 AM »
Hey, forum administrators. I posted a reply to Robby, but don't find it in the queue. Did I say something non-PC? If it's been eliminated, I'd like to know why. Tks! -- paulallen, tucsonaz

Roy S.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »
I like it  ;D

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Thanks Roy, You folks ever get up this way again, I had a nice curly maple log milled up and am willing to share.
molon labe