Author Topic: Out of Massachusetts Attic  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Out of Massachusetts Attic
« on: November 17, 2020, 03:44:47 AM »
Recently acquired this old musket.  I just liked the untouched look.   Has a 45 inch tapered round barrel.  75 cal.   Illegible proof on barrel.  Not sure what the deal is behind the two chunks of lead ( maybe  flattened lead balls) in the bottom of the butt stock are for?   All of the brass looks to be American.  The whole piece looks similar to lot 1188 Musket at Morphy's auction tomorrow.  Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:48:43 AM by Avlrc »

Offline VP

Re: Out of Massachusetts Attic
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 04:29:07 AM »
Nice untouched rifle, nice find.

VP

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 05:00:28 AM »
I would think the barrel was originally longer, maybe 46 to 48".  Looks like a militia musket, but if the front sight doubled as a lug, the bayonet wouldnt fit on its current form.  Buttplate tang looks kinda like a crude  French 1728 in style.  Lead maybe to add weight to the buttstock, like a crude version of a finer British fowler? All guesses of course.

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 05:05:18 AM »
Very cool mixed parts musket, probably early 1790's after the Milia Act was put in place? There is a great article published in the ASAC journal about 10 years ago, I think is titled "Broken Muskets" or something along those lines; anyway the author discusses the complicated history of American muskets from ca 1780 through the 1790's, including the heavy re-use of parts. If i find it I'll post a link. Seems like this may have a French barrel, "second model " or short Land Pattern furniture and a fowler guard with a homemade sheet butt plate.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
That is a great looking American assembled musket with an interesting mix of components. The lock appears to be from one of the Low Countries. Do you have any photos of the triggerguard?

Thanks for posting the photos.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »
Triggerguard  & breech.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:17:12 AM »
Are those the remains of English proofs on that barrel? I sure do see what looks to be crossed scepters.
Psalms 144

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 03:13:21 AM »
Clark---I think you are correct about the British proofs on the barrel.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline vanu

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 03:24:17 AM »
Good eye Clark! i take back my possible French attribution for the barrel.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
Those do indeed appear to be the two usual proof and view marks.  With some parts being from a short land pattern musket, I wonder if the bands that would have been at the at the breech of a Bess barrel were removed just to make re-stocking easier. Also, look closely at the trigger guard - that looks like a filled-in sling swivel hole.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:20:42 AM »
Thanks for all the input. 

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Very cool mixed parts musket, probably early 1790's after the Milia Act was put in place? There is a great article published in the ASAC journal about 10 years ago, I think is titled "Broken Muskets" or something along those lines; anyway the author discusses the complicated history of American muskets from ca 1780 through the 1790's, including the heavy re-use of parts. If i find it I'll post a link. Seems like this may have a French barrel, "second model " or short Land Pattern furniture and a fowler guard with a homemade sheet butt plate.

I searched and found that article, Thanx,

https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1999-B81-Broken-Muskets-1783-1800.pdf