Author Topic: McKee inspired curly ash in progress, updated with a question  (Read 1918 times)

Offline pjmcdonald

McKee inspired curly ash in progress, updated with a question
« on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:15 AM »
Gentlemen, 

Started this from a blank at Jim Parker’s October class. Curly ash blank from Jack Garner. 46” Rice B weight in .50. I made the trigger guard and butt plate. Chambers late Ketland lock.

I’m finally starting to shape it down. I appreciate any feedback or advice you might wish to share.

Some obvious things to correct that I’ve already noted after comparing to the McKee (208) in Ivey and the original posted some time ago in the antique section of this forum:
- cheek rest is too long and too thick
- more scalloped sides up to comb
- thinner wrist (not sure I can do anything about that)
- rounded, rather than pointed, tails on the lock panels

Guard is big but so am I. So it will suit my fat fingers and gloves in the winter. LOP is 15”. Again, stretching the original.

I still have a lot of shaping to do. And you won’t hurt my feelings!

Thanks,

Paul

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:06:33 AM by pjmcdonald »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: McKee inspired curly ash in progress
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 05:45:37 AM »
Lookin good there PJ. I have several under way for the winter. I really like your iron work,and several other fellers on here too.
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 06:09:23 AM »
I don't know what the original looks like but I agree on the cheek rest. Maybe just taper the front into the wrist just a little more. I like the gun and the work you have done so far.

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 07:30:40 AM »
Paul,
Glad to see someone else working on a McKee. I have had one on my to do list since the late 70's.  I have a 48 inch straight tapered .40 cal. H&H barrel in a walnut stock for the build I have in process.  The rough profile has been cut in the blank. I too am using a late Ketland flint that Roller put together for the build, hand forged hardware, and a copy of original triggers.  I got side tracked on another SMR, but will get to go back to the McKee in a week or so.  I hope to have it ready to shoot around the first of the year if all goes well.  Good luck with your build.  Looks good.
                                                                                                              Roger Sells

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:54 AM »
Thanks gents,

Roger, I’m just not good enough on the forge yet to match McKee’s guards. But I feel I’m at least in the spirit of his originals. I’ve noted from the pictures I have of originals that McKee’s top comb line is closer to parallel with the toe line. I’m a bit steeper. Partly because of the longer LOP. Partly because of a taller buttplate. A concession to fitting it for me. I look forward to seeing yours!

Smylee, I appreciate the encouragement! I hope to do it justice!

Dave F, my metal work is getting better. Guards are still rough and I spend a lot (a whole lot) of time with files. Butt plates I’ve found are actually pretty fun. I use the end of a stump to swage them. As the hot metal burns into the wood, I can hammer out the double curve. The return is simple enough and I like brazing them on.

Offline pjmcdonald

Re: McKee inspired curly ash in progress, updated with a carving question
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:06:03 AM »
Gents,

I’ve only seen two examples of McKee rifles in photos, so no evidence to suggest he ever did any carving. That said, I have a hankering to do a little incised carving based on another Appalachian rifle in Ivey. I’d appreciate your thoughts on carving on this style of rifle in the first place. Second, I’d like an honest critique of my initial layout.

I’m thinking a simple, shallow and narrow, incised carving. Here’s my first sketch on the stock.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: McKee inspired curly ash in progress, updated with a question
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 05:27:51 PM »
Paul;

I think if you were going to do a carved stock you should have chosen something other than a SMR style, and definitely something other than curly ash for wood. The real beauty in these Southern guns is in their graceful slender simplicity, IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline pjmcdonald

Re: McKee inspired curly ash in progress, updated with a question
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »
HH,

The more I look at it, the more I agree with you. Guess I’m just going to have to force myself to build another! Maybe something in plane maple so I can play with it some.

Thanks,

Paul