General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Lapping machine?

(1/4) > >>

Scota4570:
I have lead lapped several barrels.  I have three I want to do.  Removing enough material to clean up a bore and create a choke is physically demanding.  I am not up to that anymore. 

I was thinking of making a machine to move the rod back and forth.  My first thought is using a lever that rotates on a spindle at low speed.  That could be done with a gear box or pullies.
The lever  links to a rod in a tube to straighten the movement.  That rod links to the lapping rod.  A 5" lever would give a 10" stroke.   The barrel could be moved back and forth in a carriage to cover the whole barrel.   

Has anyone made something that does this job?

D. Taylor Sapergia:
My experience with lapping is limited to only one rifle barrel.  The purpose in my case was to remove a frosting of rust in an otherwise good barrel.  the frosting was caused by the owner using boiling water to clean his rifle, for several years.  Each time the barrel flash rusted, getting worse and worse until loading was difficult and cleaning  between shots became necessary.
There is a feel happening in the process that tells you that the lap is actually cutting.  I think this contact feel would be missing in a machine operated system.

rich pierce:
I agree with Taylor on this. I could also see tight and loose spots happening without that feel.

Scota4570:
I must be doing it wrong.  I start with clover 120 grit.  I cast the lap on 10-32 all thread.  Jam nuts expand it as I go.  IT takes hours to remove any significant material.  Half a thousands takes most of the day.  I end up with sore shoulder and elbow with a blister on my palm. 

Is there a sharper abrasive I should be using?

I got this idea from the Ruger custom shop.   They use a machine to lap bores, or at least used to.  Their machine did cover the barrel length in one stroke though.

Maineshops:
I think I would get a car seat meter and rig a lever assembly to increase the stroke. Use a dpdt switch or micro switches t reverse the streak? Just a thought... or get a 5lead thread and nut and use a windo Moyer...Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version