Author Topic: Horn forming question for you horn experts.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Horn forming question for you horn experts.
« on: November 19, 2020, 02:16:32 AM »
I know horns can be made round and even flattened, but has anyone ever taken a 5 or 6" piece of horn, and completely straightened it while keeping it round?
Psalms 144

Offline John Proud

Re: Horn forming question for you horn experts.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Sure. Start with a piece with as little cure as you can find as that makes the task easier. Measure the top and bottom inside diameters and the length. Make a wooden form matching those dimensions with some extra length. Heat the horn to the point that you can only touch it for a brief instant (a bit below 350). You can use a heat gun or hot oil of some kind, I use lard. When you have it hot, force the form into it. Let it cool and you should have a straight piece of round horn. It does take some practice so don't get discouraged on the first try!     

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 12:19:23 AM »
So that is how you make those nice containers.   I am making a couple right now for the first time and had a devil of a time finding horn sections I could turn reasonably straight.   Now I know.   Thanks for the original question and the answer. :)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 01:11:28 AM »
WOW, those are really nice.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
Beautiful indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline old george

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:01:10 AM »
Yes indeeed those are so neat.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline John Proud

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 04:09:56 AM »
I should have mentioned that it is unlikely that they will be perfectly round after this stage since the horn piece wasn't smoothed up before the tapered wedge was driven in. Chuck it up before you remove the wedge ( I use a steb center in the lathe headstock) and turn it round. But you can also turn a spigot on the wedge when you make it and chuck up on that. Take the wedge out, rechuck it and turn the inside to smooth it up. Practice, practice, practice and don't get discouraged. I have found many ways not to do something. 

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 06:14:09 AM »
John,

Could you post a photo of the form you use?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline John Proud

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
Here is a picture of the form I use. The shorter one I use to round out powder horns and small horn pieces. The pencil lines are there to help with alignment. The left end shows the "spigot" that goes in the lathe chuck. By the way, the easiest way to get that sizer out of a powder horn is to chuck it up tightly, then tap the end of the  spout end of the horn. It will lever the horn off the sizer in a flash.
The larger sizer is an example of what I would use for a horn box as discussed in a previous comment. If you are making multiple boxes start with the largest one. Turn the sizer down for the next smaller one and so on until you finish the batch of boxes. Best way I have found to get the sizer in the horn box piece is to open your vice just enough to catch the edges of the small end of the horn. Insert the sizer and give it a good wack! Reverse this proceedure by opening up the vice to just catch the edges of the large end of the piece.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:39:45 PM »
John,  I don't see a photo.

Offline John Proud

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 11:25:09 PM »
Photo should be here now. Thanks Mark.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »
John,

On the wedge,  it looks like the sides are cut off of the smaller 2/3s of the wedge.   Do you put those in the horn and then drive the wedge into them or do you just use the wedge as it is?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Joey R

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 03:29:36 AM »
What temperature do you heat the lard to to shape the horn? Nice horn boxes also!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline John Proud

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 04:53:28 PM »
The wedge is a straight taper, nothing cut off the sides. I think you are looking at a stain line, not a cut. Some times to get a tighter fit, I will cut a saw kerf in the base and drive a wedge in it to expand it a bit.

I set the temp. in my Walmart fry pot to 320 degrees with a candy thermometer. The thermostat reading are highly unreliable. If I am doing only a few boxes, I use a heat gun and heat each one as I go. Get then hot enough that you can only touch them for a split second. Tap them on the work bench, the sound gets duller as you get then up to temp.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 09:21:36 PM »
Thanks much John
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill