Author Topic: Help in identifying a percussion muzzleloader  (Read 2348 times)

Offline RMann

Help in identifying a percussion muzzleloader
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
Thanks in advance... I appreciate all your expertise in fleshing out any information on a friends muzzleloader.  He acquired it around 30 years ago at a long forgotten auction, probably in Ohio, and has been gracing his wall since.  I know a picture is worth a hundred words... I will have to get a little help from my wife to make that happen...  I did take some pictures on my old Canon, but only want to download and post what is relevant.  So I need some guidance there.

Anyway, here are some details before pictures:
     Golcher Lock, w/ faint engraving/stamp of pheasant, fence, and plants.
     38-7/8 octagonal barrel, tapered .870 at breech, to .825 at muzzle.
     Coned muzzle, estimated .32 caliber or slightly larger.
     Builders initials scripted into top flat, T F with a snowflake/star in between letters.
          (I am not familiar with the script, might be J F...)
     Fullstock, curly maple

The rest of the details should be evident in photos, but the rifle is in good shape, with working lock and set triggers. The only pitting is on the barrel, where the drum intersects. The cock is a little rattily, and hammer cavity that strikes the cap, somewhat worn.  I would like to carefully remove the barrel to thoroughly inspect and clean the bore, but will wait for your suggestions.  It is held in place with 3 pins and 2 tang screws. I would like to remove the breech plug also, but am hesitant as I am unfamiliar with the percussion geometry, and the drum is 1/2" forward of the breech. I'm not sure if the drum intersects the tip of the breech plug, and don't want to try removing the drum/nipple as that is beyond me. 

I will try to send photos as soon as is practical for the technically handicapped.
Thanks again in advance,  RMann

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help in identifying a percussion muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
On most original percussion guns with a drum that I’ve examined, the drum must be removed before the breechplug can be removed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline RMann

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:03:44 PM »
Thanks Rich, that is what I suspected, and the nipple looks a little buggered, and the drum is smooth and round, not something I could get a grip on to wrench a little on.  Better to leave as is for the owner, and just clean the barrel as best I can.

Offline RMann

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:27:10 AM »
Here are the photos.  Sorry, probably too many....

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 03:35:55 AM »
Great looking backaction.

By the way, there ain't no such thing as "too many photos" of these guns.

A rifle by Samuel McCash, Pittsburgh, and having the same style patchbox appears on page 128 of Whisker's Behold the Longrifle.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:53:49 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 05:27:19 AM »
Fleeger, Ferree. I don’t know
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
Sure looks like a Pittsburgh gun! And, it's a nice one. Thank you for showing it around here.
Dick

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Joel Ferree is my guess.
Joel Hall

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 03:42:35 PM »
       I would be w/ Majorjoel on this one,  Fleeger was a much, much better engraver and would not left that patchbox totally unengraved.  In his late years Fleeger stamped his name, so initials only would not fit. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »
I no longer have the book anymore and my memory is not what it used to be but the Joel Ferree that trained Abia Butler Smith (A.B. Smith) as his apprentice, I believe is your man.   
Joel Hall

Offline RMann

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks all,  I see the Ferree's were quite a gunsmithing family, with 3 Joels of the percussion era: Joel A. (1806-1861), Joel Thorton (1815-1882), and another Joel A. (1847-1880).  I write "percussion era" with your thoughts in view that this may be a Ferree Rifle, and it is a cap lock.  So I have a good lead to investigate... and since this is a Golcher back-lock, that should narrow my search, no?  I'll keep in mind the apprentice link to, of AB Smith too.  Thanks Joel, and the rest of your help!   RMann