Author Topic: Help identifying a horn maker  (Read 1130 times)

PAhorner

Help identifying a horn maker
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
Hello all...John DeWald Here.  Ask for some help in identifying a Horn maker.  The original plea for help is posted below from Ms. Diane Hazen through Dave Ehrig and then Frank Willis.  You can respond here and I will forward the messages on to Frank, Dave and Diane Hazen.  I am going with an early Bruce Horn horn here.  Bruce?  is this yours??  anyone??

Hi
My husband Herb Hazen (who belonged to the NMLRA for at least 40 years) passed away last year. I recently found this amazing powder horn of his which is of sites in New York state. It says “This horn made Oct. 85 by BH” –I have checked with a couple of muzzle loading friends and they aren’t familiar with who this might be. Probably because we’re in Wyoming and Oregon and the maker is probably an east coast person. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you
Diane Hazen
Jackson Hole, WY

Offline Top Jaw

Re: Help identifying a horn maker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 03:40:48 PM »
With the undyed horn body, and nontraditional base, I’d place it in the 1980s. A lot of horns from that era were not dyed.  My initials are BH, but it’s not one of mine.  😀. 

It’s well done for that period.  Probably not someone who just made a couple of them, although it could have been scrimmed by a separate hand other than the horn maker.  I would inquire with Bruce Horn.   But if she is from the west, there were a few guys in that neck of the woods making them.  Even F & I horns, once some of the early books were published.  So I wouldn’t rule west of the Mississippi out. 

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
Well I apparently missed the ‘85 date comment.  But guess my guess was right after all.  😀

Offline John Proud

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
It doesn't strike me as Bruce Horne's "engraving hand". I checked my file of makers marks and the attached image is of the earliest horn of Bruce's that I have. Note that it is  number 17 made in 1991, six years later than this horn and Bruce was quite prolific making about 10 horns a year from my file between 1991 and 2011. Also, it is my belief that his practice was to sign and date his powder horns.