Author Topic: ... OLD TENNESSEE RIFLE  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... OLD TENNESSEE RIFLE
« on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
.... recently became aware of a mid to late 1800's Tennessee rifle that had been hidden in a private collection and never displayed for public viewing,... I have some ideas on her, as I know a little about these old Tennessee made guns, but will post some photos for you boys to comment on,... I kinda like her meself,....  SPECS ... Overall length, 61",... Barrel, 44"X7/8" at muzzle,... Butt, 4 1/8" H X 1 1/4" W,... Heel, 4 1/4"L, ...Toeplate, 5 1/4 X 5/8"  W ... approx 38cal. Regards,.... Cades Cove Fiddler ... (left click on photo will enlarge)

best online photo storage

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:29:39 PM by Cades Cove Fiddler »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: ... OLD TENNESSEE RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
 ;) ;)... Stock is Maple with minimum stripe,... silver front sight is set into barrel without a dovetailed base, butt-plate & toe-plate are iron,.. trigger-guard, rammer pipes, & side-plate are brass,...inlaid pewter nose-cap,...rifle is in shootin' shape,.. !!! ... CCF

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »
What a great find in someone's private stash. Thank you for sharing the wealth. The file detail on the return of the butt plate is interesting. Was the pewter muzzle cap joined at the area of the crossing of the ram rod or just solid individual bands? One might say it was originally flint looking at the modifications to the lock panel for a cock to rest on the lock plate and the relief for the cock at full bent. Is there a particular area of Tennessee that is likely to be its origins? A beautiful example. Thank you for taking the time to measure it up for us.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »
Wow. That’s a pretty sweet one. Thanks for posting Dana. This one was some old boys pride and joy. Every time I look at one of these I’m reminded how a feller could pitchfork you with that butt if you pitched woo at his girl....

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:06:26 PM »
Lawing?  Stock architecture and the butt plate to include the file work look like the one I have. Toe plate as well. Do you think that the trigger guard may have been replaced?  This one doesn't have the over the comb tang either.  If not Lawing, someone that was close or worked with them. Just my thoughts. Nice looking Tennessee rifle.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
That is a nice un-messed with rifle.

I like the setting of your photos especially those with the corked jug.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
Fiddler, nice one. Have to agree with Eric,
Lawing .......

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »
Man I like that rifle I keep going back and looking at the pictures over and over! Reminds me a great deal of my Jack Duprey East Tennessee rifle I got from Bob. My guess is this rifle was in continuous use over many many years with upgrades along the way.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Very nice indeed, CDFiddler. Judging by the newish rod and nipple, it is being shot.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »
YUK!  Better try to sell that thing ASAP.  I'll swap you 5 gal of what was once in that nice looking jug AND give you $50 to boot.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
Has the name Wesley Lawing been mentioned?

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 10:15:54 PM »
Beautiful!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
Nice rifle.  Love the cabin!!

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »
I have no idea who built the rifle, but methinks the three grooves cut in the cheek rest, the file work on the buttplate return, and the fact that the buttplate and toeplate are riveted together may be of some significance in identifying the maker.

In any event, the rifle is outstanding.  There is nothing to criticize.

...and the rifle appears to come with a jug of "bore cleaner," too...  No wonder it's in such good shape!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline albert

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »
Interesting rifle , I  have one with similar buttplate , toeplate , and ramrod entry hole stock work. The buttplate and toeplate are nailed on the stock and are pinned together , toeplate design almost identicle , the bbl. on mine is 46" in length and has the  hammer marks from forging.The bbl.is marked W.B on top flat , pewter inlays , with pewter heart marked 1867 .I have identified the man that originally owned the rifle , he was born in Kentucky abt.1810 ,I  believe he died abt.1890 , and was one of the oldest men in the county at the time , there are descendents of his still living close by. My dad bought a collection of 6 guns from his grandson in the 1960s.
j albert miles

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 04:18:33 AM »
Sweet!!! One of the best I have seen. Thanks for letting us have a look at it.
Dick

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:13 PM »
As Hillbilly proposed- Wesley Lawing, I suspect.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 12:46:00 AM »
CCF,

Great rife! Thanks for sharing, if it turns out to be Wesley Lawing and I have no reason to doubt it, this would have to be one of the few full stock rifles signed or attributed to him.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 01:43:21 AM »
Ol Dana sure is old iron magnet!!!Hahahahaha.
Sweet ol gal fo sho bro.
Have a goodun Dave  8) 8)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 04:49:23 AM »
   C.C.F. as I said on another site. Nice ok gun an a great find.
  Not the expert you are on these. But I do believe some parts have been as it has out of replaced. But it could very likely be
an unsigned Lawing....Now ifen you was gonna sell her...I might just have to up...Molly's offer...  Oldtravler

Offline Hillbilly Delux

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Hey Dana,

Great find, that incise is interesting, love the architecture and the fact it hasn't been cut down. Hope we get the chance to see it at Knoxville next year.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »
Very neat rifle CCF!  Thanks for sharing it.  Just curious but didnt one of the lawings start out in the mountains of North Carolina?  This gun appears to have an almost parallel look between the comb and toe ridges like you see on many of the Carolina rifles (could be the camera angle).  Doesn't appear to really flare out at the butt.  Just wondering if it could be from over mountain and east.
Remember Paoli!