Author Topic: Using Galvanized Steel  (Read 3334 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Using Galvanized Steel
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:47:57 AM »
Well, I must say, I'm no metal expert.  But when I build an iron mounted rifle, I like to use a length of galvanized steel for making side plates.  The steel I get is from Home Depot and is 7/64" thick... for me, perfect thickness for a side plate.  In order to dissolve the zinc coating the steel, I immerse it in Kodak Indicator Stop bath which is 85-90% acetic acid.  The stuff is extremely inexpensive, and a good alternative to hydrochloric acid.

The piece on the right sat in the stop bath for 24 hours

After the zinc has been removed, the metal is capable of being browned.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Using Galvanized Steel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:51:21 AM »
I think you can buy mild steel there as well. Save a step?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:43:03 AM »
I think you can buy mild steel there as well. Save a step?
Well, if they had it... I would have bought it.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
Onlinemetals has about any type of metal you might need and ships at moderate rates.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »
Also check your local welding shop or supply house ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:16:31 PM »
I used to use a piece of painted angle iron from a bed frame for side plates and trigger guards. I never bothered to strip it since all traces of it's origin went away during the re-purposing process.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:47:56 PM »
 Heat it red hot and it will burned it off.

Tim C.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
Burning galvanizing off is a good way to cancel your own ticket. It got my father in law, who wouldn’t take the risks seriously.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 09:38:42 PM »
Burning galvanizing off is a good way to cancel your own ticket. It got my father in law, who wouldn’t take the risks seriously.

Hungry Horse

Ditto.   It's a bad idea !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:33:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
Hungry Horse; Sir, the information you just shared with the ALF members is by far the best shared information (truest) I've seen on this site. One of the first basics a welder learn. Welding hood around face and fumes under hood its over. I must qualify , I have seen wilding areas with special venting air vacuum systems. Still not self. Have a great week. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
Finding un-plated mild steel flat stock should be easy anywhere in America. A "good" hardware store generally has a selection, farm and ranch stores have steel stock-sheet, and then the steel suppliers generally have a drop bin of small pieces to pick through. I am in nowhere land in Montana and can get un-plated material here with no big effort. Cannot imagine otherwise.
kw

Offline Machinist John

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »
I may be new to the forum but I have over 50 years experience in the Machining, Fabrication and Welding Trades.  Pay attention to what the guys are saying.

Leave the galvanized metal in the store.

Any steel supplier has mild steel in any size you want.

Even Ebay.  Search for steel flat bar in the size you need.

I am working with some 1/8" x 1-1/2" steel flat bar today in the shop.     Cutting to length, drilling, welding and painting.  Bought it on Ebay in 6 foot lengths, it was here in 3 days.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:03:33 PM by Machinist John »

Offline mountainman

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 11:26:04 PM »
i would have never thought of using galvanize steel. But at the same time I was not aware what burning galvanized steel does to you, which I'm guessing is harmful to your lungs, from what I'm reading from the above comments, but then I never worked in a welding shop, but I heard of guys having bad lungs from working in those environments.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »
The best steel supplier, and the location is next to almost all of us. Salvage yards with anything you are looking for and than some. I think an old car body would have steel enough to build five or more complete long rifles. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
 The toxins that you breath when burning galvanized metal are deadly, and not always noticeable in small doses. A lot of doctors today don’t think of this when you come in with some nonspecific symptoms. This is what happen to my father in law. They notice his body was deficient in vitamin D. Anybody that knew him knew he got enough exposure to sunlight to not suffer such a deficiency. A couple of days later he just collapsed. He went into total renal shutdown and it was over.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 12:08:08 AM »

Hungry Horse

@!*%! I never knew that, I've been doing it for years! Guess I'll find another way. Thanks

Tim C.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:36:55 AM by Tim Crosby »

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 01:19:55 AM »
Açcording to GOOGLE

Likewise, how do you remove galvanized metal? Remove Galvanization

Step 1: Supplies. for this instructable you will need: vinegar.
Step 2: Soak It. First, fill your bowl with vinegar, then put in the piece of metal from which you want to remove the zinc. Its that simple.
Step 3: Brush It. After the half hour has passed, take out the piece of no-longer-galvanized metal.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 02:22:32 AM »
Then, you have toxic vinegar to get rid of. Just buy mild steel and save yourself the trouble.

galudwig

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 04:12:29 AM »
What possible advantage is there to 1/64" less material thickness on a side plate? Krikey, if you think 1/8" mild steel is too thick, heat it up and hammer it thinner. At least you won't be risking your health with that process.

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
Not going to argue that metal fume fever from zinc is not harmful, but I do think the effects have been overstated on this thread. Short term exposure without adequate ventilation can cause fever and chills which go away in a few days. I do not think it would be fatal without some other comorbidity. I own a welding shop and we frequently weld galvanized metal.

I will also agree that buying mild steel is probably the better option in this case.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 09:17:08 PM »
Interesting information, all.  Here on Long Island, my source of "mild steel" is somewhat limited and my local Home Depot carries none that I can find.  My reliance on galvanized steel is because of that.  The reason I posted the use of stop bath as a means of removing galvanization was to inform of a possible alternative to burning it off.  The acetic acid smells foul but works great for that purpose.  Just thought I'd share that information...

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »
I agree completely with Sawfiler.  I have torch cut and welded tons of heavily galvanized steel over the last 50 years.  Just some adequate ventilation and care is all that is required to be perfectly safe.  A little zinc oxide is NOT hydrogen cyanide and the effects are definitely overstated here.  (Seems like everyone is afraid of everything these days and automatically takes things to the extreme.)  As Sawfiler notes, over exposure to zinc oxide fumes results in a condition called the "zinc chills" (also called metal fume fever as the condition can be caused by other metals as well).  While the symptoms do go away in a day or so by themselves, you can make them go away in a few minutes by drinking a glass of whole milk.  I know this for a fact because I have had the zinc chills a few times over the years.  And, by the way, the last time I had the chills, I didn't have a cold or flu for seven years afterward......(think "Zicam")

Just my $0.02
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
Let's stay on topic gentlemen.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Not English

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 05:08:04 AM »
Ron, Saw filer and Dave are spot on regarding galvanized. The safety police are over reacting to galvanized metal fumes. Common sense and practice goes a long ways towards safe practices. As a former welder with 50 yrs. experience, they are right. The last few comments are germane to the discussion once safety was brought in to the original question.

Dave

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
For those who live in rural areas, a farm sale will provide probably tons of scrap iron and steel, at a near give-away price.
I have a scrap pile, and that is my "parts department".
We used to chuck a piece of zinc-coated steel into the fireplace occasionally back home, as it removes the soot from the chimney!
(Coal fire)