Author Topic: breech plugs  (Read 6002 times)

eseabee1

breech plugs
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:45:35 AM »
Had gotten my barrel today and the breech plug is in and tight I gave it all I had to remove it so I could make sure my barrel inlet is correct I tried heating it but nothing as a matter of fact all it did was move in my vise and now I have marks where it slipped out of the brass pieces I had in to protect it any suggestions?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: breech plugs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:08:42 AM »
You will do better when trying to remove a breech plug if you make yourself a couple of hard wood "V" blocks that you can put copper or brass into to hold the barrel.  The "V" blocks holds the barrel with four surfaces instead of just two.  I use a 15 inch Crescent wrench on the breech plug and give it a good smack with a large lead hammer.  Works every time, although I hear that some barrels have a set screw or cross pin to lock the breech plug into the barrel.  If that is the case then you will need to remove the set screw or cross pin before trying to remove the breech plug.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:54:35 AM »
Had gotten my barrel today and the breech plug is in and tight I gave it all I had to remove it so I could make sure my barrel inlet is correct I tried heating it but nothing as a matter of fact all it did was move in my vise and now I have marks where it slipped out of the brass pieces I had in to protect it any suggestions?
Thin cross section barrels can be permanently damaged buy clamping too tight.
You should wonder if its been locktited.
If so it may require 400 degrees or more to break the bond.
I have never though having a pre-installed plug was a plus myself.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »

If you can tell us who made the barrel we can give more info as to how to get the breech plug out.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

eseabee1

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
colerian swamped b profile was ordered thru track of the wolf

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:39:24 AM »
Are you clamping the barrel right next to the tang? If so you may be compressing the threads of the barrel, tightly down on the plug.

Move the barrel out far enough that the threads are not compressed.

God bless

eseabee1

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:46:43 AM »
I have taken it over to bill schlusser he will get it out it came thru overtighten like it was a returned barrel I though the same thing when after I tried to do some inletting and noticed the mark was off so he is going to fix it up for me Thanks everyone

Berks Liberty

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:05:20 AM »
colerian swamped b profile was ordered thru track of the wolf

Here is what Scott from Colerain sent me about the same problem.  Hope it helps.

"Hi Jason,
Yes, it can be removed. Use a large adjustable wrench and place a thin peice of copper, brass, etx between the wrench jaw a bolster on the biting side. I do put them in tight, might take your body weight to break free.
Regards
Scott

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
I never had a Colerain  that   tight, but there is always a wierdo.  Definitely need to check the breechface fit, as the last 5  I used were not fitted properly & had to be refitted.   ::)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:07:32 AM »
Few barrelmakers actually fit the breechface to the bore. It is not a safety issue at all, as many original guns were breeched the same way. It's a cleaning issue for me. I hate a gap between the end of the bore and the face of the plug.

This breeching takes a LOT of time, because now you need to time the plug to hit the back of the bbl and the bore faces at the same time. Tricky, and VERY hard if not impossible to do without a lathe.

To save yourself a headache later on, you must really check your barrel breeching BEFORE you inlet it, fit lugs, etc., just in case you need to set it back 1/16.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:52 AM »
eseabee1:  If you have followed all of the previous advise such as clamping the barrel in the right place and using a large enough wrench with the proper jaw protection-- use a little heat applied to the breech section of the barrel just prior to using the wrench.  About 300 degrees with a small propane torch works well.  I've always had good success with a little heat whether it be an old breech plug or a new one.

Acer:  I've done many a breech plug fittings by hand using lamp black and a file to fit both outside and inside shoulders  together simultaneously.  It is tedious but it can be done! I have seen many new breech plugs installed with a 1/8" gap between plug face and inside shoulder-- totally unacceptable in my shop!!    Hugh
H.T.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
Stuck or tight fasteners like a breech plug can be loosened much easier with a series of taps or blows vs. constant pressure.
DMR

eseabee1

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »
Acer the plug came in already installed as a matter of fact there was a indentation mark where they were to line up but even before I tired to take it out it was turned past that mark about 1/4 of an inch I got a guy fixing it right now for me I just will make sure next time I look everything over before I decide it ok to use Likk eI said thanks for the advice sure does help

erdillonjr

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
When you put it back in use a little neverseize so it wont be so hard next time. Ed