Author Topic: Southern Mt. comb line  (Read 1189 times)

Offline RMann

Southern Mt. comb line
« on: November 22, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »
I'm laying out the stock profile for an East TN mt. rifle, and need a little guidance on the comb line.  I'm not strictly trying to recreate a particular rifle, just build a simple shooter along those clean southern lines.  In most of the photos I've looked at, the projected comb line generally intersects the very top of the stock, or slightly above, the point the wrist begins to curve downward.  This has a nice look, as the eye sees a sweeping curve.  But occasionally the comb line points more directly to the top of the barrel breech, and from my reading that makes sense functionally, in efficiently absorbing the recoil with less potential refraction.  I am just building a .40 caliber, so maybe that consideration is not so important, but I think it is still a relevant question, and I haven't found a thread yet that informs my decision.  My stock layout currently has a 3-7/8" drop at the butt, and 1-1/2" drop at the comb, and the comb line projects just a little behind the breech.  It looks fine to my eyes, and my mock-up seems to shoulder well, but I easily could adjust a steeper comb line that projects just above the curve of the wrist, which more closely fits the majority of the southern guns I've seen, and may form a more graceful curve to the eye.  I'll choose function over form, but suggestions would be helpful.  (Perhaps the relevant #'s from Kibler's SM rifle would be helpful, if that is kosher to pass along)   Thanks in advance, R Mann

Offline Carper

Re: Southern Mt. comb line
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:15:56 PM »
Your decision on the angles of top and bottom line of the buttstock will have a tremendous amount to do with which geographical area your rifle represents . Also if you plan to bring your tang up and over the nose of the comb a little taller( angle projecting slightly above the barrel/breach intersection is very common. As you get over into SWVA where I’m from you start to see a little more ‘Roman Nose” or rounded blending of the comb into the wrist . But I think the most important line to watch is to make the bottom and top line without curvature as much as possible. Again this is just my opinion . Hope I was helpful. JW

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Southern Mt. comb line
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »
There are pics somewhere, I don't recall where just now, of a Tennessee rifle or two with lines extending out from the comb and the toe lines over to their intersection.  Flatter than that will look more modern and less TN if you ask me.  There's a small range there to work with, to get the right look. The buttstock needs to be curved in the butt and straight through the comb and toe lines for a TN I'd say (knowing there are exceptions) but also other Southern areas had their own styles. Different mountains had differing ideas, so there's miles of wiggle room keeping it generic as SMR. 40 Caliber means recoil considerations a non-issue
Hold to the Wind