Author Topic: Old David Morton  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Old David Morton
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »
         Living in the western half of PA I often get request for guns from that geographic area.  While most are for the later Golden Age style rifles, this client chose a very early gun.  David Morton was a prolific maker and produced some very nice elaborately finished guns.  This gun attributed to him must have been some of his very early work.  I had the pleasure of working on the original when it was owned by a gentleman in Clarion, PA.   The original was a big heavy early gun  ruggedly and simply built with no extra frills, the kind of gun that would put meat on the table and stand up to a battle. 
          this gun was built with an above average piece of maple, the carving is simple incised carving as was the originals.  The two piece patchbox is simple and efficient. The design is atypical for a Western PA gun, and has no engraving.  This is a 58 cal. rifle with a 44" Rice barrel. ready to take on any PA big game.    Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Old David Morton
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 03:10:19 PM »
Very cool and appealing. I’d never seen examples of his early work, so thanks for that too.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »
That’s a Very appealing rifle. Morton is a maker that I’d like to know more about. The patchbox puts me in mind of the Moll family rifles. A friend has a super fancy Morton that if I recall correctly was made for a PA Governer and it’s a stunner. Beautiful work on this Ron. Keep them coming.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:50 PM »
I like that rifle alot ;D Excellent work
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
Elegant and gorgeous; all one needs.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 09:37:29 PM »
Nice, thanks for posting.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:15:10 AM »
Beautiful.  Love the color and finish.

Offline flinchrocket

IRe: a Old David Morton
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 11:41:30 PM »
That’s very nice, I really like the early rifles. Do you have any idea when the original was made?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »
        I have handled and worked on several of Morton's rifles, this one exhibits the earliest of characteristics.  Since most of Morton's surviving rifle come from the 1820-30 period and later I would believe that dating this one in the 1800-1810 period would be pretty safe.  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »
That looks great.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline mesabi

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:07 PM »
I keep coming back and ogling this one.  Beautiful work!

Offline DMacKay

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 06:01:31 AM »
It is a beautiful rifle, I love looking at it. It’s even more fun to shoot! :)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 01:52:08 AM »
        I have handled and worked on several of Morton's rifles, this one exhibits the earliest of characteristics.  Since most of Morton's surviving rifle come from the 1820-30 period and later I would believe that dating this one in the 1800-1810 period would be pretty safe.  Ron
Thanks Ron, when I first looked at it I was thinking 1785 or 1790’s. Then I noticed that Morton was born in 1770 so I was thrown off a bit. In any case you have built a great looking rifle. Thanks for shareing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:55:32 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline heinz

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
A very nice looking rifle.  The work on the trigger is interesting.  Is that typical of Western PA?
kind regards, heinz