Author Topic: Scabbard and Frog  (Read 1660 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Scabbard and Frog
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:36:01 AM »
Bespoke made scabbard and frog for an original hunting sword. Scabbard, including all metal hardware is completely handmade by me. No electricity was used for the metal work, including the use of electric lighting. This was actually not by choice but due to an electrical problem in my metal shop caused by an Asian stink bug ; ) The frog design is loosely based on an 18th century German engraving. The metal hardware is from my own design after studying multiple period scabbards. The hardware has been aged in an attempt to be compatible with the sword fittings. Credit to the ever talented Wick Ellerbe for information over the years.

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Scabbard and Frog
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 03:22:19 AM »
Beautiful!  Like I don’t have enough projects...🤦🏻‍♂️

James, is the scabbard leather covered wood, or just heavy leather?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:37:32 AM »
Thanks Greg. The scabbard part is leather brought down to about 8 oz.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
 That is Really neat, the metal work itself is impressive, Very nice work.

Tim

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »
Love to see it, and great work as always. Matches the sword nicely.
-Robert

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:19:43 AM »
Great job James.  I especially like the details like how you rolled the metal edge of the throat to cover the leather at the top.  Beautiful work.  Someone is a happy camper.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 05:28:22 AM »
As always James, great looking stuff.
David

Online scottmc

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
You are truly a master of leather work if there ever was one!  Forgive me as I dont think I've ever commented on your work but your attention to detail amazes me.  I guess this scabbard finally pushed it out of me😁
Remember Paoli!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 06:11:47 PM »
This forum is SO very beneficial!  I am in the midst of making a scabbard for a short "hunting sword".  11" blade.  I have chiseled out (OK, mostly with a small router plane) the shape of the blade from some nicely straight-grained maple, inletted a retention spring, and glued the two halves together.

I have been pondering how to make and attach a belt-hook type arrangement, and you and others here have provided many ideas.

Much appreciation.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 09:57:19 PM »
Fantastic work as always. You always leave me shaking my head in wonder. Such work doesn't seem possible by mere human hands.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 12:24:54 AM »
James, what a great looking outfit!  Just an observation:  I think I would have put the slit for the frog button going down rather than up, so that the scabbard didn't force the slit open and allow the sheath to rise in the frog when pulling the blade free.  ...unless the sword comes free without resistance, or a two hand pull.  Really lovely work all the same.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 06:28:47 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words of encouragement. Taylor, a pippin hole's design is to traditionally have the round hole take the predominant pull or weight. Since the sword hangs more than its drawn i chose this direction which is the common direction. What can happen when reversed is that over time the slit will splay under the weight of the sword and you will eventually create a two hole snowman effect. I have viewed a couple of originalss with a pear like hole much like a mini trace punch but not close enough to determine if they were punched that way or deformed over time. I have also seen some originals that have the slit on the center horizontal at east and west of the hole. This would be a good option in consideration of your concerns. I can't however recall if those types are specific to a certain military, country, region etc.
Many carriers had no hole provision. A lot of the Scottish baldrics are like that as the user would frequently be removing the sword when sitting. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:40:52 AM by James Rogers »

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 05:14:41 PM »
James a truly impressive and beautiful piece
The metal work is very well done I know first hand how tough it is to execute and that is clean
I too have received a lot of information from Mr Ellerbee he has been willing to answer questions and share his knowledge

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
Thanks James.  That makes perfect sense. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.