Author Topic: Rifle kit for a newbie question  (Read 1786 times)

Lampson01

Rifle kit for a newbie question
« on: December 06, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
Hello,
Quick question for everyone. I would like to purchase a rifle kit. I built a rifle from a kit when I was 16 many years ago. At any rate, I'm a little apprehensive about diving in purchasing and kit that when all told will run $1,200 or so. Are there any quality kits in the $600-$800 range? I would rather learn on a kit that costs that much instead of one of the upper end kits. Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Thank you!

Offline Frank

Re: Rifle kit for a newbie question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
Just get a Jim Kibler kit. Impossible to screw up. It is like putting together Legos.

Lampson01

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »
That is where I'm leaning. They seem very nice. Thank you!

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »
Buy the best you can afford the first time and you generally wont be disappointed.

So what if you make a mistake or two?  I would never build or get anything done if I let that stop me.

Plus you have a whole forum of the best gun builders you could possible tap into for help if you need it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Lampson01

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »
That's great advice Snapper. I took the plunge. I ordered a colonial rifle kit in .54 cal! Woohoo!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 05:53:26 PM »
I started out as a teenager buying kits because it was less expensive than buying a finished rifle. To boot I was also buying the cheapest kit available to lessen the impact if a mistake was made. I remember reading something that Turner Kirkland stated in the Dixie Gun Works  catalog at the time. I'm paraphrasing but it went something like "Do you have what it takes to build a rifle kit? It's a rare person that can make an $800 dollar rifle from $100 worth of parts." What I learned over the years was buy the best quality parts you can and then take your time and not get rushed. Other advice here about the Kibler kit is most likely the best chance of success in having something worth more than the cost of the parts when you're done. Am I long winded or what?  ;D
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Lampson01

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 06:32:37 PM »
Lol. Thank you Daniel! I vaguely remember the quote you are referencing. I took the plunge and just ordered a Kibler kit. I'm stoked!

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »
I have a colonial in 54.  You'll love it.....Did you get extra fancy maple and a patchbox?

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
The short answer is, yes, there are kits available for $600-800 and yes, you can build a nice firearm from them.   Check Sitting Fox, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, etc..   None of those are going to be of the same high quality and perfect detail that a Kibler kit will, but there's something to be said for having more options and for creating your own firearm based on your vision and handiwork (versus putting together a kit that was made on a CNC machine and which is all but perfect).   

I have a Kibler rifle that I built, I'll surely purchase more in the coming years and have encouraged friends to do the same, but everyone who asks a question these days about a kit is told to "just buy a Kibler".   That may be great advice and what's best for some, but it's not universal and it's not the only answer, particularly given the fact that there are only 2 basic styles available today from Kibler.  If there were 20 options available and a person suggested that they simply weren't up to building their own rifle, then by all means, my advice would be that if you want a beautiful gun that you'll be happy with, then get a Kibler kit, but at the present time, there are people who may not be looking for that specific SMR or that specific Colonial kit and there are also some who may really wish to "build" their own gun rather than to assemble a set of parts that are all but finished.

Offline DBoone

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »
Hey Daniel Coats!  Your stuff is always worth the read and never too long!!   :)

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 12:47:51 AM »
Hey Daniel Coats!  Your stuff is always worth the read and never too long!!   :)

Thanks Don! ;D
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 01:46:35 AM »
A kit is one way to start, and a good way at that.    However, as an alternative, I would suggest If you have someone who builds in your area that you consider contacting them and seeing if you could “shadow” them and see what it takes.   I think most of the people on this site would be happy to demonstrate how to build a rifle.    I have a standing offer ( which no one has taken me up on....they all ask me to build for them).  Anyone who wants to build a gun can use my shop and tools and my expertise  ( nothing to brag about but I can build a presentable, safe, shootable rifle) and my library any time.
You’ll have more money tied up in it, but you’ll also have a great deal of pride in it also.
Mike Mullins

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
I am new at building guns too although I built one in the late 70's I didnt build another one until this year. One suggestion I would make is check out videos on rifle building. I found that buying some and watching them helped me a lot getting organized and sequencing order of operations, etc. Check out American pioneer video http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/ they have a lot to choose from.
Rob

Offline Bill1617

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 08:00:52 PM »
The Kibler Colonial was my first rifle build and I think I made a very wise choice.  For me, assembling it has been more of an enjoyable-relaxed learning process rather than a sprint to finish the rifle in minimum time.  I am very methodical and VERY slow in most anything I build. 

The most useful single element for me in building the rifle has been the Utube videos that Jim Kibler has produced.  I enjoy listening to Jim explain to a novice something that has taken him years to learn. Those Kibler Utube videos first sold me on his product and certainly made the assembly possible for me.  They are very informative and have generally taken me down the correct path.  I would recommend anyone thinking of working on the kit to watch the Colonial series over and over again.  It seems like I discover something that I didn’t really understand the first time or the second time through a video segment. Jim has actually updated some of the videos since I have been learning, ordering the kit and building the Colonial Rifle.  Surprisingly, even I can eventually apply most of his explanations. 

The rifle shoots GREAT and is a real joy to shoot for my wife and I. Hope to have his Southern Mtn Rifle by Christmas.

Offline duca

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:08 PM »
I’m on the list for the SMR kit in .36 but won’t be seeing it for a couple of months. Spoke to Katherine
Today she said there backed up a bit. Also Jim isn’t offering the barrels in 46” anymore 😢 looks like 44” from here on

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »
Lampson, just take your time building whatever you decide on.  LOTS of good advice above.

And welcome to the Forum!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.