Author Topic: Thanksgiving Fowler  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Thanksgiving Fowler
« on: November 26, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
Here is a tiger striped maple stocked fowler from New England.  Has a 47 inch barrel & an English lock by Braizer.  No embellishments on this gun, a hunting gun.  Exc. condition.  I am guessing around 1810, what date do you think? 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Thanksgiving Fowler
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »
I think that is a good estimate for the timeframe. Looks to be in great shape. Thanks for sharing!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:55:36 PM »
Very nice gun in great shape.  I am not knowledgeable to date it.  I can't tell from the pictures if it has a front sight or not?? 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 08:04:47 PM »
The lock and stock styling make this fit the 1810-1820-ish timeframe in my view.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
 Does it have a metal RR? May be the Pic but the front RR pipe looks large like it is from a musket of sorts. Well preserved and nice looking.

Tim C.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
I can't find any of the Braziers that really fit the time period of this lock. Most seem earlier or later.
Can you tell us what the lock says in full, Avlrc ?
Looks very sound.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »
Ramrod is steel, but doubtful original to gun.  Front pipe has a slight flare, but not really a musket pipe.  has front sight,  no rear sight.   Cleaned the lock some to reveal the name in block letters BRAZIER.   Online I have found several locks made by the Braziers.  The family was making gun related stuff from early 1700s to late 1800s. 

https://www.internetgunclub.com/archived-forum/posts.php?topicid=1426

dogbest

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
Beautiful gun. Simple yet elegant.
Love the color of the wood.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »
I can't find any of the Braziers that really fit the time period of this lock. Most seem earlier or later.
Can you tell us what the lock says in full, Avlrc ?
Looks very sound.

I cleaned lock plate a little & here is a pic.  There may have been something  above BRAZIER, don't think so, however  it is corroded in that spot.  I took me awhile to make out Z&I.  Actually it was my wife who told me those letters , that is when I got online and found Brazier.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 12:46:42 AM »
The Brazier's of the Ashes, Wolverhampton, were, of course, the best known later lock makers but I don't remember ever seeing a lock with their name on it. I have a Ketland flintlock with the initials BB on the inside and I suspect it may be Benjamin Brazier who appears to be the first of the lock makers...but we have to remember that the references are mostly (or entirely) based on directories. If someone chose not to be listed, he's largely invisible at this point. There was also a family of London gunmakers of that name and I don't know if they were related to the Wolverhampton lock makers. It seems more likely the lock came from a good quality gun by the London family. It was probably still made in the B'ham trade but whether it was made by the famous lock making family is anyone's guess.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »
The Brazier's of the Ashes, Wolverhampton, were, of course, the best known later lock makers but I don't remember ever seeing a lock with their name on it. I have a Ketland flintlock with the initials BB on the inside and I suspect it may be Benjamin Brazier who appears to be the first of the lock makers...but we have to remember that the references are mostly (or entirely) based on directories. If someone chose not to be listed, he's largely invisible at this point. There was also a family of London gunmakers of that name and I don't know if they were related to the Wolverhampton lock makers. It seems more likely the lock came from a good quality gun by the London family. It was probably still made in the B'ham trade but whether it was made by the famous lock making family is anyone's guess.

Good information to have thanks.