Author Topic: Cock stops at half cock  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
  • .45 Jukar .32 Pedersoli .45 Pecatonica SMR
Cock stops at half cock
« on: March 05, 2024, 07:00:57 PM »
I hope someone can help me with my conodrom .I bought my rifle as a flintlock with a L&R dures egg lock.I shot for about a year and thought I would go percussion since I got a Durs Egg percussion with it. Got it matched up and used it for a while and got the rock urge back.I swapped the locks and snapped it a couple of times then it stopped at halfcock every time after>I took back and checked for contacts but found none.I tightened and loosened springs and bolted but to no avail.I went to get her and bring her into the house to see if temp change help and cocked her and it worked 2 times and then back to half cock.This was befor I brought her inside.Just checked and no change.On’treally want to go back to percussion .HELP
Gary Kirk

Offline EC121

Re: Cock stops at half cock
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 07:06:39 PM »
If it is a single trigger, try pulling a little harder.  You might be nursing the trigger or the fly is letting the sear catch the notch.  BTW: Is the fly there?
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 07:25:51 PM »
Missing or damaged fly was my guess. I have both flint and percussion locks of that make and model and they both work perfectly.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Rmjchas

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:59:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, this lock uses a fly with a small hole in it--if so, try turning the fly over as sometimes that makes a difference.

Another possibility is the sear spring may not be pushing the sear into the full cock notch.  I had one L&R lock with this problem, and it drove me nuts before I figured it out.  I annealed the spring and opened it a little wider, then re-tempered.  It's been working perfectly since.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 08:03:46 PM »
Will the lock cycle when it is out of the stock?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 05:09:25 PM »
Look at the lock and see if the "fly"snaps forward when full cock is attained.The term "fly"makes no sense and intercepting cam is the real function of this important piece of the lock.A heavy sear spring or an ill fitting screw thru the sear can be the culprit.
Bob Roller

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 08:12:24 PM »
It has a fly and the strange thing is with the lock out in my hand if I push on the sear it cycles all the way but if I flick it with my finger it slops at halfcock.It. Sets in full and halfcock well.also it worked it a couple of times at first install and then started stopping at halfcock.I’m going to flip the fly and see if this fixes it.could the fly be worn out?
Gary Kirk

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 08:52:07 PM »
Worn or mis-fitting fly is my guess.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 10:39:53 PM »
I've made more than a couple fly's for that lock, though left handed.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 12:37:02 AM »
Worn or mis-fitting fly is my guess.

ditto
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 12:42:39 AM »
It has a fly and the strange thing is with the lock out in my hand if I push on the sear it cycles all the way but if I flick it with my finger it slops at halfcock.It. Sets in full and halfcock well.also it worked it a couple of times at first install and then started stopping at halfcock.I’m going to flip the fly and see if this fixes it.could the fly be worn out?
Flip the "fly"? I know no lock I ever made had a "fly"that can be flipped.Who made this lock?
Bob Roller

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 06:21:20 AM »
This lock has a fly that has a hole in it and it drops over a stud in the tumbler so it is possible to install it reversed.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 05:09:56 PM »
This lock has a fly that has a hole in it and it drops over a stud in the tumbler so it is possible to install it reversed.
One side is ground flat. The other is as stamped. The flat side goes down.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 06:28:48 PM »
Odd but easy way to install a "fly".Have you tried slowly lowering the hammer across the "fly" and see if it will cam the sear over the half cocked position.I should have posted this earlier.
.Bob Roller

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 05:02:21 PM »
The only time it stops at half cock is in the gun or when I flick the sear with my finger.If I push the sear with my finger it works fine.I’m going to try to make me a fly before I order one.I’ll tell ya’ll the results.
Gary Kirk

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 05:34:45 PM »
Took me 3 tries to make a fly that would work for an L&R percussion lock. “Next time” I will drill 3 holed half an inch apart, thin the stock to the right amount, file it to max width, get my magnifiers on and file the toe on the first one before detaching it from the stock and finishing the head. Leave it a few thousandths long and finish while trying in the lock. Lots of last clean disassembly and re-assembly! But very do-able once my mind grasped the concepts of width being perfect to stop movement of the fly, then angles and length being right.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 11:16:55 PM »
I made the "fly"with an integral pin,installed it and filed the forward edge to the contour of the half cock position and then filed the intercepting side to the point it will be a cam.Some had to be relieved on the left side to make sure it would do what it was supposed to.
I like the bigger styles like the Brits used in their top of the line locks.Function test before hardening and then temper it and polish the camming side to a smooth ramp.
Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 02:42:48 AM »
It is unlikely that the fly is worn if the lock has never been in a rifle.  but it is imperative that it be installed with the right side up, and there isn't anything really obvious about which is the right side...until you study the fly in detail under magnification.  The forward facing edge is shorter than the after side, if that helps.  I have found that L & R's stock replacement flies work perfectly if installed this way.  The lock should function just fine with just the kick of the set trigger's hammer trigger.  Before I went to the effort and trouble of making one, I'd try their replacement fly.  I have found them to be hardened and tempered to the right hardness, and do not need polishing.  I've never worn one out.  Polishing may remove vital length...be wary.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 09:38:42 AM »
Is the lock properly lubricated? It may sound like a silly question, but more than one person has posted this type of problem here and lack of lubrication turned off to be the problem.
Also, are you sure that there is no dirt or grit in/on the lock innards.

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 09:51:55 PM »
If it stops at half cock in the rifle, tben the hammer is hanging up on the stock. Remove wood under tge hammer. I have seen this before and fixed doing this.5

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2024, 01:37:18 AM »
I took it to a member of our club and let him look at it and the sear arm was just barely touching the trigger bar and it had worn dow.Also the trigger plate was installed in the pre inlet a little far back so the sear didn’t lineup with the x of the trigger bars.he said he could take car of all that and get it shooting again.he builds beautiful flintlock rifles and pistols so I trusted it to him and he says no problem,he also said the fly was worn so that didn’t  help any.But I really appreciate all your replies so keep your powder dry till next time
Gary Kirk