Author Topic: First try at a screw tip horn  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Mike from OK

First try at a screw tip horn
« on: December 01, 2020, 06:17:12 AM »
I was supposed to be finishing organizing the new shop but decided to try and make a horn instead. Not going to lie... It was kinda tough. Much respect for Tim Crosby and you other folks who do this and make it look easy.

I used only what I had on hand material wise... So some of this wouldn't have been my first choice for making a horn.

Starting at the beginning...

Drilling the hole...

Tapping the hole, 1/4-20...

On the lathe...

Here's how I secured it in the chuck...

More to come.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

Re: First try at a screw tip horn
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:26 AM »
Tim showed us this trick a while back and I thought it was one of the best ideas ever. Drilled and tapped a 1/2-13 bolt to put a 1/4-20 in it to start my 1/2-13 die...

Cutting the threads. I got a little heavy handed turning down the horn. Major diameter was a hair undersize so my threads came out a little truncated. I was worried they were too small but it worked out fine...

Here's the piece of horn I used for the collar. I had intended to use antler for both the collar and the tip but it didn't work out that way. I didn't get any pictures of turning and tapping the collar and turning the antler tip. I got busy and it slipped my mind...

Here's the collar and tip glued up... Still a little finish work yet to do.

And here it is screwed together...

Mike

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:02:01 PM »
 Good start Mike, a couple of things: How did you hold the horn to drill the spout and do the other work? Once you've got it drilled and are ready to tap it for the threader put a small hose clamp on the tip and tighten it down good, it will prevent the tip form splitting. You may need to build it up with some tape so it doesn't try to slide off. What did you use for a lube with the die? Screw a nut on the threads to protect them as you work the rest of the horn, it will also work as a depth gauge to slim down the horn in the neck. You must have quite a swing on that lathe to turn a horn, mine doesn't so I do all that by hand. That's where the 3/4" hole saw comes in handy. It fits a 5/8-11 die perfectly and is easily worked down to 1/2 with a rasp if you want to use a smaller die.
 Look forward to seeing it progress.

Tim

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »
This is a absolute wonderful post!  For a total newbie like me, seeing this in action is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »
Thanks Tim!

I held the horn in my hand to drill the spout hole... Might be wonky but that's just how I do it.

No lube, probably why they look so rough. But the die was brand new, never used... Probably why it didn't turn out worse than it did.

I would have preferred a 5/8 die for the threads... That would've allowed for a bigger thread body and by extension a bigger spout hole for easier filling.

Lathe is a 12 x 16. This horn would just ever so slightly kiss the ways while turning... I was only turning at 50 rpms so it wasn't an issue. I can also turn outboard on it up to a 16" swing... That and the digital speed control are what sold me on it.

I like the hole saw idea, much faster and better control of diameter... Now you said 3/4 hole saw, I'm an electrician so "3/4 hole saw" is actually 1.125" to me for 3/4 conduit... But I'm guessing you meant an actual 3/4 one.

Looks like I need to make a list for when I head to town today!

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »
This is a absolute wonderful post!  For a total newbie like me, seeing this in action is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Get after it Ranger. This is only my 3rd or 4th horn so I'm not much ahead of you experience wise.

Some of the horn making books help a lot... Just having pictures of originals and repros to reference is worth the money.

Mike

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks Mike!!!  Someday, someday.  It is on my bucket list.  We had a close family friend (my Godfather) who made horns & all other accoutrements.  He is deeply missed.  Someday I would like to take his place, but I am at a time in my life where I have way way to much cooking.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 11:02:40 PM »
 Take a look at this:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14401.msg135296#msg135296

The hole saw is 3/4" see the pix and you will see what you get and what has to be removed so it can have threads cut on it. A little lard will help as a lube, I use Dr. Jackson's Leather Rejuvenator.

As for holding the horn I have tried many different ways but this is the best I have found:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30428.msg291359#msg291359

Any question just ask.

Tim

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 11:31:50 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I remember both of those posts but my luck with the search feature is hit or miss... I appreciate you linking them for me.

This morning I heated the base and put the sizing plug in. I find that step to be the most nerve-racking, even more than drilling the spout. So no photos of it.

Mike

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 12:21:35 AM »
 Everybody does it different, I may trim a bit off the horn but don't round it out until it is thinned and shaped. I may or may not trim some more off the butt. Then I boil it put the sizer in let it dry and see what I've got. If it is close to what I am looking for I turn a butt and see how it fits. Many times the thickness of the horn has to be dressed up to fit the plug right and or the butt needs trimmed up more.
 Lots of steps as you know.

Tim

PS: If the "Search" is giving you problems just go to the "Tutorials" and look through
      "Accoutrements Tutorials, for horn making threads. TC

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
Fascinating.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »
Well, there it is in all of its uglier-than-homemade-soap glory...

Just need a plug for the spout and a strap.

The more I worked on it the "wronger" things went so I just finally had to let it be what it is. I tried hard but this one isn't airtight. The staple is a Romex staple that I heated and twisted and the 5 nails are carpet tacks... Like I said before it's all from stuff I had on hand... Even the dye.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:41:47 AM by Mike from OK »

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 07:24:44 AM »
I forgot to add that I changed the screw tip. I had originally put the external threads on the horn body and the internal threads on the removable tip... Of course this would have made filling the horn as difficult as filling a regular and negated the whole purpose of the screw tip to begin with.

So I cut off the external threads on the horn body and drilled/tapped it for 1/2-13 threads. Then I turned another piece of horn and used the die to thread it and then glued it into the internal threads in the tip.

It worked and should make the horn easy to fill now.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:36:46 AM »
By the way Tim!

You told me the 3/4" hole saw would cut a perfect thread body for 5/8-11 threads... Well a 5/8 hole saw will cut about a .505 thread body which is pert near perfect for 1/2-13 threads.

But I bet you knew that already.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 08:07:08 PM »
By the way Tim!

You told me the 3/4" hole saw would cut a perfect thread body for 5/8-11 threads... Well a 5/8 hole saw will cut about a .505 thread body which is pert near perfect for 1/2-13 threads.

But I bet you knew that already.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

No I did not, I don't think I have ever seen a 5/8's hole saw before but I will look for one.

Thanks, Tim