Author Topic: restoring a buggared up muzzle?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

restoring a buggared up muzzle?
« on: December 01, 2020, 05:16:28 AM »
I won't bore you with the long story but does this muzzle look like it could be the cause of some accuracy problems?  The gun used to cloverleaf them at 50 yards, now its about 2.5 inch groups.  The crown has been given a smooth radius and the grooves deepened some to facilitate starting a ball. 

Could I just buy a round grinding ball from McMaster Carr and grind the crown back to a crisp edge?  Would that help restore accuracy?

Offline Scota4570

Re: restoring a buggared up muzzle?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
I'd properly crown it in a lathe.  IF it were mine I'd shorten it a little and move the nose cap back.  That way you know you are back into undamaged bore. 

At least use something with a pilot.   Just removing material with no way to keep it centered is likely to go badly. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:16:45 AM »
I agree that the best course of action would be to cut an eighth of an inch off and re-crown. I recently took about that much off an original barrel. I had freshed the rifling but was trying to avoid altering the muzzle if possible. Sometimes it has to be done and was routine back in the day.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 06:18:57 AM »
Hard to tell but from the photo it looks like there is a sharp edge where the crown meets the lands. Could be cutting the patches.   Could be a lot of things causing loss of accuracy.
" not all who wander are lost"

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:44:08 AM »
It's not cutting patches.  I recovered some and they look like you could re-use them.

So how does one go about moving the nose cap back? This one is epoxied and pinned to the stock.  That's really what has got me stymied.  I've restored or fixed bad muzzle crowns when the barrel had enough protruding that I could file back until the crown was gone and then start over.   

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
Just wondering , would this be a candidate for coming?
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »
Just wondering , would this be a candidate for coming?
Bob

I was thinking the same thing. Joe Woods tool should correct the problem.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »
 I’d try the round stone bur first, and if it didn’t work you can alway go with the guys that perpetually choose the hardest most expensive remedy. I’ve used a stone bur followed by some fine emery cloth on several barrels with good results. You have to buy a good quality stone, a little bigger than the bore, but not bigger than the crown. You have to do some rotating of the drill motor to insure and irregularity in the stone doesn’t cut a groove.
 I suspect your problem stems from when you filed the ends of the grooves. So any grinding with the stone will have to go deep enough to remove that. Good Luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline FDR

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »
Heat will break the epoxy bond. I would use an electric heat gun to supply the heat. Try Harbor Freight for the heat gun.

Fred

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 06:27:56 PM »
Heat will work.  I would use a small propane torch, a heat gun will  take longer and increase the chance of buring the stock, at least in my hands.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
I agree with Hungry Horse, try the simplest solution first. Never pull the engine when you just run out of gas.
Robby
Oh, and when its running like a top, never say to your buddy, hold my beer.
R
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline BJH

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
I would use Hungry Horses method first or one of the stones with a 45 degree point. Slow with a light hand with a eggbeater drill. Then emery paper as described by Taylor S many times on this forum to deburr. Just go deep enough to clean up the existing crown modifications. Use a magnifying glass and good light to be sure you’ve cleaned up the existing work. I bet a hours hand work will fix the problem, as long as you are careful. BJH
BJH

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »
It all sounds good to me, except for coning. That being, if you want to get back to cloverleafs at 50yards.
I would use a 45 degree stone in a drill, then emery or wet/dry paper to smooth and polish. The crown will
just be a bit deeper, is all.
I suspect the filing is what is disturbing the accuracy.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
Anything you do that follows the existing will likely not help. The messed up part needs to be removed.  The new crown needs to be accurate. 

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
The Dixon book recommends using the ball shaped cutter, and rotating the drill in a slight circle as you go, (as has been said), to avoid any irregularities in the head surface. 

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  I will probably go the route of grinding with a ball.  Although, after some more shooting I am not sure this is my problem.  Last time out she seemed to group the balls tightly - just several inches higher than usual.  I had this problem before and thought I corrected it by lengthening the slots on the barrel staples. 

Does tightness of the lock screws have an affect on accuracy?  If so how do you manage consistency?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 09:23:27 PM »
Perhaps, but likley not.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Rifleman1776

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 09:45:37 PM »
As deep as that is a ball might not clean it up enough for you. I suggest a 60 degree cutter held by hand. But, first do check out all other possibilities for the bad grouping.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »
If you crown a barrel with anything but a lathe you really need a tool that has a pilot in the bore. Round stones and other similar tools are not a sure way to get a concentric crown. Tools that do not have a pilot will often work but sometimes they won't. Tools with a pilot always work in the hands of a knowledgeable gunsmith.  Let the argument begin.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Not English

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 04:52:27 AM »
Jacques, Like Scott says heat works. I'd pull the barrel and drill out the rivets first, then heat it with a propane torch. Keep it moving and avoid burning the stock. When you see the metal starting to sweat slightly (moisture bubbles), then it's time to  try and remove the cap. If it doesn't work, a little more heat will help. It will come off.