Author Topic: Help identifying a rifle  (Read 1696 times)

Woodmanr

Help identifying a rifle
« on: November 30, 2020, 04:53:54 AM »
We have had this rifle for as long as my dad can remember. But we don’t know anything about it. The only identifying marks is partial name on the lock plate. “JAS GOLC___” is what I can read. Someone thought it may be a James Golcher rifle. On the cheek rest there is a crescent shape piece of brass. The patch box does open by pressing a release on the bottom of the stock
Thank you
Wood Roettinger

Golcher made the lock not the gun. I have an original Golcher flintlock that looks like this one.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:09:15 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Help identifying a rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:01:59 AM »
I don't know who made your rifle, but the patchbox looks very similar to the one on page 135, in the red patchbox book by Chandler.  Signed J. F.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
There were three makers who most commonly used the 'Flame' or "Falling Leaf' patchbox finial. Henry Mauger, John Derr, and Jacob Faust.There were several Derr makers and some of them used it too. They all were in or around the Oley Valley in PA for the most part. My guess would be one of the Derrs. Good looking rifle; thank you for bringing it by. The lock is a third tier or late flint mechanism, Piece could have been made in the 1830s and the Golchers were prolific lock suppliers during most of the 1800s. We all enjoy looking at pretty rifles and this is one. It appears to have been scarcely used. Can you give us some more photos of the gun? And, would you consider placing it in the ALR Library?
Dick

Woodmanr

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
I can get more pictures. Anything in particular you would want to see?

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 04:45:11 PM »
I agree with Mr No Gold about the makers of this style patchbox. This rifle looks to have been made by John Derr.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »
Wood, you can lay the gun down on the floor, or some other flat surface away from any distractions and where you have good lighting. Photograph the lock back to the butt plate on both sides of the rifle. Then take a full length shot of both sides. Do a close up of the lock and side plate, trigger guard, muzzle, rear ramrod pipe, and toe plate. That will provide a good set of photos that will allow the viewer to really appreciate your fine KY. Oh yes, you might want to select a neutral background color to bring up the best contrast for the gun. Thanks again!
Dick

Woodmanr

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:46:40 AM »
I’ll see what I can do

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 01:12:55 AM »
I agree with Dick, at least it’s Oley / Montgomery Co furniture. Stock architecture doesn’t, hard to tell from the photo. Dicks advice for the picture will help get a better look at the drop / architecture.

Buck