Author Topic: Which Kibler to order? It arrived!!!  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Olddoggy2

• Starting Member
Re: Which Kibler to order? It arrived!!!
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2021, 12:07:06 AM »
Gorgeous rifle Sir

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2021, 03:31:49 AM »
I took the rifle to the range today and tried it for the first time.  This is a very nice rifle.  I accidentally lost the fly when I put it back together soI couldn’t use the double set triggers but the standard trigger is very good anyway.  I need to make a higher peep sight as it was shooting about 8” low but that is easy.  I also need to put a less shiny finish on the barrel.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »
I made a taller peep sight, with a thicker rim and started rusting it as well.  I think this one will work better.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:58 AM »
I took the rifle out after supper and played for a bit.  The lock is super fast, personally I think it is as fast as any percussion rifle but I am biased towards flinters.  It was shooting about 5” to the left so I had to move the front sight a fair bit.  After I got home I heated up the lollipop sight with my acetylene torch and bent it to the right.  Hopefully I can have the front sight more centered now. 

I tried a few charges and patches.  Seems it likes about 55 gr of fffg and a 20 thou patch.  I tried 45 gr and it was pretty erratic at 50 yards but increasing the load helped a lot.  It is still a pleasant load so I am not worried.  I am using Graff and sons powder and the fowling seems very light and cleaned up very nicely.  I forgot my range rod in my rush to get to the range before dark so I used the wooden ramrod and that worked just fine.  Now I know I can use it hunting no problem.  I lost the fly so am shooting without double sets until the fly arrives.  In spite of that the trigger is very nice.  I think when new people try this I will get them to use the single trigger.

oldiemkr

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2021, 06:42:30 PM »
I was just wondering how long your Kibler kit took to get from kibler to your door. Seeing you're in Canada I know it could take awhile.
Mine came about 200 miles in Ohio and USPS took over a week. Never mind the two day priority. Also they wouldn't pick it up and bring it to my house. I had to go get it. No reflection on kibler all post office bs.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »
Shipping time wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, I think it took about 2 weeks.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
I roughed up the top flat with 120 grit emery cloth and put a few more coats of rust blue.  It is still a nice grey color but there is a lot less reflection.  I had it out at the range and did a nice job of filling the bullseye with lots of holes at 50 yards.  Then I proceeded to shoot little pieces of paper ripped off of targets that was on the berm, off hand at 50 yards.  The little thunderstick never seems to miss.  The lock time is really fast and the balance is perfect.  A few friends tried it, they had never shot a flinter before.  It was a great afternoon all around.  I ordered a fly to replace the one I lost but am still waiting for it so all of my shooting was just single trigger, can’t wait to use the double set triggers off hand.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2021, 02:18:13 AM »
The replacement fly arrived and and is installed, can’t wait to try it with double set trucks this weekend.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2021, 07:03:09 AM »
You can make a peep like this ....and adjust the height,just by prying it up .

Offline grouse

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2021, 10:27:33 PM »
I like that Nessmuck

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2021, 08:06:28 AM »
Here are some new pics I took of the rifle.

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
Lovely rifle and you did a great job on the finishes (and the peep sight). This rifle looks very svelte in your hands, is it that slim or is this a trick of perspective and photography? The tang looks almost delicate! I am impressed by the inletting. Any worries about bending the tang removing the barrel from the stock?

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2021, 04:42:51 PM »
Thanks, it is super slim and svelte for sure.  I love how it handles, can’t wait to do our trail walk with it.  I can’t take credit for the inletting that is how the stock come from Kibler, it is a Perfect fit all around.  You definitely have be careful taking the barrel out of the stock. The tang is pretty sturdy and strengthens the wrist, the forestock is very thin and fragile, however.  I don’t plan on taking the barrel out again anytime soon.  I plug the touch hole with a wooden pointed stick to clean the barrel with water.  No need to ever remove the barrel again.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2021, 07:11:00 PM »
Have to say how much I’ve enjoyed your thread. My Kibler SMR shipped today, so I’ll hopefully have it at my door Monday.

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2021, 08:10:21 PM »
Thanks,

I am looking forward to hearing about your build.  Your going to love it.
Have to say how much I’ve enjoyed your thread. My Kibler SMR shipped today, so I’ll hopefully have it at my door Monday.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2021, 06:14:10 AM »
Thanks, it is super slim and svelte for sure.  I love how it handles, can’t wait to do our trail walk with it.  I can’t take credit for the inletting that is how the stock come from Kibler, it is a Perfect fit all around.  You definitely have be careful taking the barrel out of the stock. The tang is pretty sturdy and strengthens the wrist, the forestock is very thin and fragile, however.  I don’t plan on taking the barrel out again anytime soon.  I plug the touch hole with a wooden pointed stick to clean the barrel with water.  No need to ever remove the barrel again.

Nope....barrel stays put

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
I just placed an order for another Kibler, this time a Colonial in 54 with extra fancy maple.  I am really enjoying the 45 SMR, I will use it this weekend for two days of shoots including our trail walk, should be great fun.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
This was a wonderful thread all around,  thank you.  I did just the opposite from you,  I ordered the 58 CAR,  and already want the SMR in 40.  Old TV line,  "  You gotta love it when a plan comes together."

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2021, 05:49:32 PM »
We finally resumed our muzzleloading shoots this weekend at our club.  Om Sat we had our trailwalk and my Kibler was awsome!!  Cut the card, hit the tack, cut the match, the popsicle stick, cut two strings, the egg, and lots of odd shaped gongs.  I think I scored 25 out of a possible 28.  The misses were all on me, not the rifle.  On Sunday we had a bunch events and it was great fun for sure.  I was the only person to shoot a flintlock in the main events but it performed perfectly even when we were shooting in the rain.  I even shot my first perfect 50 point target off hand.  (That was a flinter event at 25 yards so bragging rights are pretty low, but I will take it!).

We also had a duelling pistol event at 25 yards so I used my 50 cal flintlock pistol.  Lots of laughs but the flintlock beat all the others in the end,  the final duel I only heard one shot between the two of us butthe spectators and the movement of the swivelling gong indicated I won that one too.  In a real duel we would both be done for...

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Rwn, I know that you already made a taller rear sight, but next time try unscrewing the one that is on there until it is right, then you can measure for the next sight.
And of course, if it is too high, you can file a couple thousandth's off the bottom of the base.
Nice looking rifle indeed!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.