Author Topic: Bullet molds  (Read 2450 times)

Steamingspud

Bullet molds
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:43:57 AM »
Hey Guys.
I said bullet molds but actually, it's round ball molds I'm into. You know what I mean.
Massachusetts hates shooters, so I decided it might be a good idea to buy a mold and make my own ammunition. There are different brands of molds obviously, but the one I hear is good is Lee. Is that correct?
And I shoot .50 cal. I'll probably still be shooting .50 cal when I build my next rifle. Should I get a .495 or a .498 mold? I'm not sure if .498 will work, I'm not sure I've ever tried it. Would it be too big for the patch to fit with it?
Thanks everyone

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Bullet molds
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:13:36 AM »
Before I bought a mold, I'd think about buying a box  (or maybe just 50 ) each of .495 and .498 balls and try each, including which patch/lube worked best (i.e. tightest group).   Might even try 490 and 500 balls, too.  Then I'd buy a mold for the best ball diameter.

I have a wall full of Lee RB molds, calibers 36 to 527 RB.  They've given me good service over 25 years (although the very last mold, a .440 double cavity is finicky on closing and mating the two block halves together properly).   Cost for a single cavity mold is $20 or so, including the handles.   Lee molds typically produce an almost invisible sprue mark that isn't always easy to even see.

After Lee, my next choice would be Lyman - steel blocks versus Aluminum for Lee, cost around $50 for the blocks and another $35 or so for the handles, I think.   There are other mold makers, e.g. Rapine, that are probably 'better' than Lee, but also priced significantly higher.   

SCL

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:55 AM »
I've had several .50's and all shot .495's very well.  I prefer Lyman moulds with normal sprues to the Lee and RCBS type with a tangent cuttoff.  Once the tangents are in the bag for a while, it's hard to find the sprue to make certain it's up.
If I had a round bottom grooved barrel, I'd probably go with a .498".
.490's have shot OK for pinking, but for serious shooting, it's .495's for me.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
Were I to buy one 50 mold, which I did, it would be a 495.  They work good in about any barrel I have seen.  Some of the earlier production guns might have been a little tighter but a 495 can be used.  The old Douglas would sometimes do a little better with a 498, but really you would have to shoot off a bench to notice the difference.

DP