Author Topic: J. Scorsone Rifle  (Read 4284 times)

Offline elee

• Starting Member
J. Scorsone Rifle
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
Hello All..I picked up this rifle by Joseph Scorsone at an auction the other day. Due to Covid, the auction was online only, so I only had three low-res pictures to go by, but I took a chance and am glad I did! It is a remarkably beautiful rifle, showing craftsmanship of the finest order. It is .32 cal., 38" swamped barrel, iron mounted, as far as I can tell unfired. I have no idea as to when it was made, any ideas? A small tag in the patchbox reads "Made for Madison Grant", and the initials "EMG" are inlaid at the wrist below the tang. I believe Mr. Grant authored several books on powder horns and accoutrements, but am unsure if that is the same Madison Grant. I can find very little on Mr. Scorsone's work, other than that he is now a practicing ophthalmologist. Any further knowledge of Mr. Scorsone or Mr. Grant would be appreciated! Also, any thoughts on the lock manufacturer? it is unmarked inside and out. The workmanship and architecture of this rifle far surpass any other Longrifle I have ever owned. Looking forward to squirrel hunting with it, along with the beautiful girl pictured with the rifle who is the best hunter I have ever had! Thanks for any input.
ELee

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: J. Scorsone Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
Im impressed with ur purchase.  Very nice.  But somebody seems upset u are using their bed.

Offline elee

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:24:56 AM »
Oh yes...that is definitely her bed. No one else is allowed to use it!

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:01:49 AM »
Back in the 70's and early 80's Joe was one of the very top gunmakers in the country and made some really fine rifles including the one pictured.  Joe has one of the Don Allen stock duplicating machines, and he machined all the stocks for the Bicentennial Rifle project as well as my stocks for a while.  I was in his shop over the weekend, and we were looking at the original pattern for the Bicentennial rifles.
After Joe's youngest son (who was always in the shop with him) passed away due to cancer Joe lost interest in gun building and became an optometrist in Asheville, NC.  He was my optometrist for many years until he retired.  Every time I saw him he would say that when he retired he would work for me putting rifle kits together.  Sure enough, one day Joe showed up and said he was ready to go to work.  He has been working for us now for several years and has not lost one bit of his skills as a rifle builder.  Joe is a fellow Vietnam veteran (marine) and was involved in hand to hand combat among other things.  Later Joe became a long distance runner and ran 50 miles on his 50th birthday.  On his 60th birthday he did 60 miles.  I have the upmost respect and admiration for him and consider him a close friend.

Offline elee

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Thank you Mr. Chambers! When you next see Mr. Scorsone, please tell him how greatly I admire his work....this is a stunning rifle. I am so glad to hear that he is well and keeping a hand in the longrifle community. If by any chance he remembers this rifle, I would be pleased to hear any details.
   Please extend my deepest regrets at the loss of his son, and thank you both for your service.
        Elee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 09:38:37 PM »
Another really nice rifle - love it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »
Thank you for adding that Jim.  It is always great to hear positive stories, especially in 2020.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »
Due to my working relationship at Cumberland Knife & Gun Works formerly here in Fayetteville with the late Lewis Sanchez, I was introduced to many fine gunmakers, especially those that learned their craft from the late John Bivins, such as Joe Scorsone.

Our two booths at Friendship was the "watering hole" for custom gunmakers in the '70's before the Gunmaker's Hall was built. John Bivins, Mark Silver, Joe Scorsone, and Bob Watts were the "regulars". One day when Lew was "holding court", Joe Scorsone walked in with John Bivins and Joe pulled out a big double-edged knife that he had forged. You could tell that Joe was beaming with pride. Lew held it and made one of his usual astute comments, "Hmmmmm, looks like a Roman Bathing Tool!"

As an aside, Warren, then president of the NMLRA, asked if I would trade my two booths in my present location to a pair of booths closer to the end of the row, between Deer Creek Muzzleloading and Koval Knives, which was Ok to me. Then, they removed the center wall to create a walk-through, and the four booths from both sides created the first "Gunmaker's Hall". I was glad to have a small role in the creation.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:55:23 AM by D. Buck Stopshere »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Online Martin S.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »
The rifle is beautiful, but I was wondering if your dog is a toller?

I had one but she passed away due to a brain tumor a few years ago.  I want another one, but my wife is making me wait until I retire.

Offline elee

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 12:59:01 AM »
Hi Martin; the dog is an American Red Setter. American as opposed to Irish due to the efforts of several American breeders to back breed the Red/Irish Setter line to produce a gun dog similar to the original working Irish Setters instead of show Setters bred for head shape, chest depth and feathers. She is six years old, about 40 lb., and the best hunter I have ever owned, also the smartest!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 05:27:14 PM »
Beautiful rifle, handsome dog, looks like they may have used a bit of Springer blood in bringing back the hunter qualities.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 06:19:28 PM »
Pretty dog....

Very similar to a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.  Looks to be similar size and color.

Offline elee

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 03:31:37 AM »
Beautiful looking pup! I like dogs as much as I like guns!

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »
Pretty pup and a pretty gun. Congrats!

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
Great rifle.....I gotta get me some of them acorns, looks good!
aka “digger658”

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 12:48:41 AM »
  Exceptionally nice rifle. You have two pluses. Your dog an a
great rifle. Thanks for showing !!
 Oldtravler

Offline Babills

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 12:03:43 AM »
Nice. I'd be proud to shoot it!

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 12:23:40 AM »
Make that 3 pluses.  Beautiful gun and dog.  And number three I love that nightstand or little table.  Looks to be curly or birds eye maple.   Did you make it?
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Online Martin S.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 07:25:55 AM »
I built the nightstand.  Sorry for the thread drift.

It is curly cherry.

I posted it to show off my dog, who is no longer with us, sadly.

I have to wait until I retire to get another one.