Author Topic: Additional surprise  (Read 3082 times)

Offline smokinbuck

Additional surprise
« on: December 08, 2020, 01:10:14 AM »
I recently acquired a rifle by Joshua Zartman, 1816 - 1891, Licking County (Newark) Ohio.the rifle is in excellent condition inside and out and is well marked as to the maker. The additional surprise was found on the underside of the butt stock. Carved there clearly is "J Stilly Dec 13, 1869". Perhaps the owner at the time, I will be checking the census.

Mark

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Additional surprise
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 01:26:26 AM »
Awesome condition & Icing on the cake finding the owners name.  I always like stuff like that. Thanks for sharing.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:38:41 AM »
That is really nice!
Hope you have luck on the owners name!
John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:47:45 AM »
What year did Zartman leave Armstrong Cty PA?  The Zartman’s and Schreckengosts were intermarried. My 4th great grandmother Susannah Zartman was married to gunsmith Benjamin Schreckengost. Zartman May well have learned the trade from Schreckengosts. There are Stilly’s in our area.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 03:49:51 AM »
There is a restored grist mill in VA that was built by Zartmans of the same family
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:46:44 AM »
Shreck,
I haven't found a Benjamin and only one mention of Pensylvania. Elizabeth Zartman married Dr Stevens and they lived in Phiadelphia. All of Joshua's family were born and lived in Ohio. I will continue to look.
Mark

Offline redheart

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
Smokin cool rifle!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 05:47:48 AM »
Oops sorry. Catherine Susannah Zartman was married to my 5th great grandad Conrad Schrecengost.
Birth  View
Birth
11 Oct 1759 • Warwick Twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
I’ll have to dig a little

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »
He sure had a good hand with a graver!!! Nice!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Joey R

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 12:57:43 AM »
Yes indeed! His signature on the top flat is a work of art of it's own.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »
Beautiful gun.  Thank you for sharing. 

Offline quaint acres

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 08:55:29 PM »
There is a restored grist mill in VA that was built by Zartmans of the same family

If you are referring to the mill in Opequon, VA outside of Winchester, then yes it is currently owned by a ZARTMAN, my father. However it was built by the Glass family. We are simply the caretakers now in a long line of owners, and yes my parents have restored it, but not to a functional status as a mill. Most of the equipment inside had already been sold off.

Also if anyone hear's of ZARTMAN rifles for sale, please contact me. Thank you.

Offline tak

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:43 PM »
Shreck,
I haven't found a Benjamin and only one mention of Pensylvania. Elizabeth Zartman married Dr Stevens and they lived in Phiadelphia. All of Joshua's family were born and lived in Ohio. I will continue to look.
Joshua Zartman’s father, Alexander IV, moved from Northumberland Co., PA, in 1811 to Hopewell Twp., Perry Co., Ohio. Joshua was born in 1816. Alexander IV’s father was Henry. Henry sister was Susannah Zartman Schreckengost. Joshua Zartman is my great, great, great uncle.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2023, 06:02:47 AM »

If you are referring to the mill in Opequon, VA outside of Winchester, then yes it is currently owned by a ZARTMAN, my father. However it was built by the Glass family. We are simply the caretakers now in a long line of owners, and yes my parents have restored it, but not to a functional status as a mill. Most of the equipment inside had already been sold off.

Also if anyone hear's of ZARTMAN rifles for sale, please contact me. Thank you.

AOLRC has a couple shows every year. One in Marrietta & the other in Newark, be a good place to look.  Here is their Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1883927131852802  Watch Old Barn auctions, they sell a lot of Ohio guns. https://www.oldbarn.com/
Keep an eye on these shows, if you see one in Pennsylvania, you might try that. You may need to join the CLA to attend.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=453.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:55:42 AM by Avlrc »