Author Topic: Casting and Moths  (Read 2468 times)

Daryl

Casting and Moths
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
Was going to put this in 'Over the Fence', but it realy belongs here where more will see it.  I was casting 15 bore balls yesterday & while waiting for the sprue to solidify, saw a flash of white over my 20 pound lead pot, raised my gloved left hand just as the pot seemed to expload, which sprayed molten lead at me.  I smelled some hiar burning- probably due to my not shaving for a few days prior to yesterday - or maybe neck/chest hair around the V-neck of the sweater.  I had a few drops of lead on my T-shirt as well- none on my glasses, but picked up some 'spots' on my face, bald head and the left hand holding the mould got a few burns- all-in-all, no damage, except for the sweater - sure glad I had it on.  The lead on it is quite heavy with dribbles below the splashes and that would have burned my chest badly. My jeans had a lot of lead on them as well, however it picked off quite easily.  The holes in my 'crocs' let some through to my feet, however that didn't hurt - much.
so- beware of flying insects when casting - that can happen with flies in the house, or bugs outside as happened to me.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:27:49 PM by Daryl »

Offline T*O*F

Re: Casting and Moths
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
Also a good reason to wear cotton or wool clothing, instead of polyester when casting.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Glad you are OK.
Could have been much worse.

Sure it was not a miniature homicide bomber??

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

jim m

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »
glad you are ok, but how dare you kill an innocent little insect. wait till PETA hears about this!  >:( :D ;D ;D

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:20:07 AM »
I suggest you collect the splattered lead, melt it again, and cast it as a small moth. That might be a great keepsake and conversation starter.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:42:54 AM »
Kamikazi! :o