Author Topic: Estate auction horns (2)  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Randall Steffy

Estate auction horns (2)
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »
Greetings all,
I purchased the two pictured horns at the estate auction of a gentleman who grew up in Fulton County, PA, and made auction purchases around there and Chambersburg, Franklin County, PA. I am hoping to learn the general locale of origin and the possible age of these two. The larger is a screw tip with a length along the long side of 8-3/4", not counting the recently made stopper. The smaller horn has a brass framed mirror on its end and is 4-1/2" long. Was this an adornment added later in life? I appreciate any responses as I am a, sure enough, newbie as related to old powder horns.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Estate auction horns (2)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 05:27:55 AM »
Thank you, Randall for bringing some nice new material around for us to see. I am leaning toward an Adams County origin for the screw tip horn. Though it has some differences, the overall design and actual execution strongly suggest that origin. Flat butt, large collar and interior threads is pretty much the norm for Adams horns. The second one may be a home made horn and it does have a small framed mirror affixed on the butt. This could be reflective of Lancaster horns which were sometimes made with a mirror in the butt. It is part ornamental and part utilitarian it would seem. My take is that the small horn is home made, or gun smith made to accompany a rifle. Not any way to tell this far down the line I expect. Thanks again. 
Dick

Offline Randall Steffy

Re: Estate auction horns (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
Thank you for your timely, informative reply, Dick. I do appreciate your shared knowledge. And as Adams County is just east of Franklin County, the larger horn may then have spent its life close to home! It now resides in Lancaster Co.