Author Topic: Possible John Hagy rifles with photos  (Read 1258 times)

Offline DaveM

Possible John Hagy rifles with photos
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
JTR and anyone interested - to follow up on the Poulin auction thread, here are two rifles that I think may be later rifles by John Hagy, the maker of lot # 3508.  I did a little digging about Hagy:

- Born in Cocalico Township, in February 1771. 
- Appears on the census in 1793. 
- Married in 1795. 
- His father was a Jacob Hagy, who was a weaver, and John had one son Daniel who was a farmer.  So I believe there was only one John Hagy gunsmith. 
- Lived near the village of Shoeneck, near Denver, PA and about 5 miles from the Berks County line (near where Morphy Auctions is now located).   
- Was still taxed as a gunsmith as late as 1850 in the West Cocalico Twp tax record. 
- In his 1849 will he describes himself as a gunsmith. 
-  Died in 1856. 

In the pictures, the two later guns are shown together in many of the pictures.  But I  also include a few side-by-side photos with the gun currently at poulin.  If Hagy made these two later rifles they may be of a type he made later in life, after some evolution of patchbox head shape, comb to a later style than his earlier work.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Possible John Hagy rifles with photos
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
You make a good argument. Hagy is likely the guy. His style bounced around a bit, but he was still fairly true to his school. There is one Hagy rifle that is one of the finest Lancaster rifles that I have ever seen. I think that it can be found in Jim Whisker's book on the gunmakers of Lancaster. Thank you for bring this to our attention and to see the validity of your research.
Dick

Offline DaveM

Re: Possible John Hagy rifles with photos
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 03:42:25 AM »
Dick, thank you for your input!  I found my copy of Whisker.  I believe you refer to the first of two Hagy rifles pictured and I agree that is a real beauty!  The second Hagy in Whisker looks like it has the same oval design as the tang carvings on his other rifles, but instead of behind the tang it is in the carving behind the cheek piece.