Author Topic: Round balls  (Read 4001 times)

Offline paulitus

Round balls
« on: December 16, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »
What would you say is the most popular caliber amongst the round ball crowd these days?

Offline GANGGREEN

Re: Round balls
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
That's a rather open-ended question and one that there's no correct answer to.   Popular for what?  For hunting?   For plinking?   I think .50 rifles are probably the most popular for the average deer hunter, but that's primarily because all of the commercial outlets produce a .50 and most only produce one or two calibers total.  I think many/most on this board who are serious big game hunters probably gravitate towards a .54.  I think for plinking you might find a lot of folks using .40s and .45s and for squirrel hunting, probably mostly .36 with a handful of .32s thrown in.  I'm not sure there really is a most popular roundball caliber, especially not on a board where most of the members are builders and can make whatever they choose.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
The most popular target and game shooting calibre in my stable, is my .69.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:47:54 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »
In my shooting club most have 3-4 guns they use for different matches. A heavy bench rifle is usually .50-.54. A cross stick Buffalo gun would be in the same range of calibers. An offhand gun for 25-35 yards might be as small as .32 or as big as .54.

Few hunt squirrels or other small game here. Muzzleloaders used for deer run in the .50-.54 range, typically.
Andover, Vermont

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
I have a .50 and a .45 but if I was to do it over they would be a .54 and .40.
~Bob D.

Offline Not English

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 11:56:29 PM »
I've got a 45,54, and 62 smoothbore, all flinters. I've also got a 50 jaeger in the works. I've always been told that a 54 is really a good balance of ballistics and ball weight. I tend to agree.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 02:09:57 AM »
What would you say is the most popular caliber amongst the round ball crowd these days?

For what use?
Back in the 1750-1820 period most rifles were under 54 caliber with huge spikes at 44 and 50 caliber. The "mountain rifle" of the 1820-1860 period was usually 54 caliber since this would allow the use of the 1/2 ounce trade ball. A few were made larger ans some were smaller. but 50-58 caliber was about the limit given the game in the west and the ranges encountered.
I think the 50 caliber is best all around caliber for most people. But again it depends on the use. For animals the size of elk or larger I thing the 54 is minimum. I have a rifle just a little smaller in bore than Daryls, it shoots a .662 ball at 1600 fps, I would not hesitate to shoot anything in North America with it. But it launches a 16 to the pound ball with twice the powder my 50 cal does to launch a 180 gr ball.
40 is a great caliber as well. But its not a useful deer rifle in my opinion. But it costs a lot less to shoot. And is a good small game rifle.
So really what is popular is not the question its what is your USE for the rifle.

I have a 40  in the works right now if I would just get off my but and get in finished,

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 03:03:34 AM »
I can only guess why you need to know the most popular calibre...for re-sale value!  I have to say if that is your concern, it is a $#@* shoot...the quality, style, finish and craftsmanship of the rifle will be far more of a purchase concern that whether you made it a .50 or a .54 cal.
Persoanlly, I have rifles from .25 cal to .66 cal. and I try to use them all equally, but I usually gravitate to one of my .50's when it comes to shooting accurately for target and trail, and to .62 cal to .66 cal for hunting - anything that moves!  Most of the game I've harvested with a BP rifle was done with a .60 cal. using a 300 gr. ball and 86 gr. FFg GOEX...killer rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:10:28 AM »
.32's aren't popular with the woods walk or Deer hunting crowd, .58's and .69's go over like a lead balloon with the limb chicken bunch. I'd say, generically speaking the .50 is probably by the numbers most popular. If you had one you'd be good for everything except Chipmunks and birds on the wing..... add a .62 and a .32 to the stable and you'd be cleaning house....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:05:07 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 04:02:42 AM »
I can only guess why you need to know the most popular calibre...for re-sale value!  I have to say if that is your concern, it is a $#@* shoot...the quality, style, finish and craftsmanship of the rifle will be far more of a purchase concern that whether you made it a .50 or a .54 cal.
Persoanlly, I have rifles from .25 cal to .66 cal. and I try to use them all equally, but I usually gravitate to one of my .50's when it comes to shooting accurately for target and trail, and to .62 cal to .66 cal for hunting - anything that moves!  Most of the game I've harvested with a BP rifle was done with a .60 cal. using a 300 gr. ball and 86 gr. FFg GOEX...killer rifle.

Building the rifle that uses the one ounce ball was a real eye opener. Shoots wheel weight, pure lead or paper cartridges all to the same point at 50 yards.  It certainly does not lack for power. It makes everything under 58 seem weak.  But it does make some recoil. I built it for a G bear in AK but the opportunity slipped away.
I was dealing on a really nice 28 caliber percussion half stock when I was a kid. Owner wanted a 1863 Springfield and I could come up with one pretty easy, but he backed out before I got the Rifle Musket. He was shooting the rifle and had mould and all.
But like you I like my 50. I think the best compromise for most people. Great killer on deer sized critters out to 120+ yards and will do well in matches past 100.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
Standard calibers are 32, 36, 40, 45, 50, 54, 58, 62.
I have at least one of each and several of some.
Might as well say I don't hunt any more. Legs, back, and balance are gone. But I love to sit in the big door of my basement and blast steel with all of the. The 62s the most. Backyard range.
Tony Maples

Online alacran

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
The way I explained it to my wife who is a golfer. Rifles are like golf clubs only one just won't do.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wmrike

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
At my club I am somewhat of an outcast, as I shoot behemoth .50+ cal. rifles.  I am relegated to the far end of the firing line while everyone else, very much a paper target crowd, is shooting cap guns of .45 cal. or less at 25 yds.  Blessedly, everyone shoots real black powder.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
That's easy it's the one I am shooting today.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Semisane

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 07:55:50 PM »
I just addressed my platoon of muzzleloaders that are racked against the wall of my man cave. Here's how it went.

"OK Troops, line up. Round Ball Twist squad on the left, Shotgun Squad in the center, Fast Twist Squad on the right."

"Round Ball Twist squad step forward and line up according to bore size, smallest to largest."

Here's what the round ball twist's looked like.

32 - 40 - 45 - 50 - 50 - 54 - 54 - 54 - 58 - 58 - 58

I like big balls, I can not lie.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 12:33:49 AM »
Someone like Eddie May who casts and sells balls might be the best person to ask.  Of course that person can only accurately tell you what sizes they sell the most of.

Mould makers likely have a good idea what they sell the most of as well.  Same with barrel makers.

Lots of ways to skin that fish if indeed it needs skinnin.

I'm not listing my notions of what I need, or have because that's not the question you asked. I can tell you this-one of my considerations for not making my deer gun a 50 was because it seems that everybody has a 50 and I'm hardly a crowd chaser when it comes to my equipment. I'd rather have a 47 or 52 and deal with "supply issues" and I might yet.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 02:09:42 AM »
Exactly, Wade. That's just one of the reasons I refrain from popular modern ctg chamberings.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 03:01:20 AM »
Paulitus:  you still haven't told us why you have asked this question.  What difference does it make, "what is the most popular calibre"?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 02:43:09 AM »
Most people around here use .45, .50, and .54. I don't own any of those for the same reason WadPatton stated. I use a .58 or .60 for hunting and a .40 for fun at the club. I have a .52 and .38 in the works though.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 01:30:17 AM »
In general it's the .32 & .36.  For larger it's been .45 up to .62, but mostly .45 at this point.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 03:11:27 AM »
Well, I am quite surprised .69's aren't more popular, afterall, it was THE or A US military calibre from the F&I war (I tHink), through to and into the Civil war
and after, for some time.
Indeed, before the Civil war, many of the .69 Muskets were returned to the armories and were rifled. The issue loads went from 165gr. down to 130gr. for the
round ball loads, to 70gr. for use in the rifles with the 730gr. gr. Minne Ball.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »
Daryl, I see .69's pop up from time to time. Usually Pedersoli Charlevilles if I remember correctly. But they just don't seem to be too widely available.

My .62/20 eats enough powder and lead that I'm not sure I'd want to shoot anything much bigger on a regular basis. Wouldn't mind trying out a .69 for kicks though.

OK, I'll be realistic... If I shot it I'd want to own it.  ;D

Mike

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
Around these parts, it’s .40 caliber or nothing.

Because I’m the only traditional muzzleloader shooter I’ve ever been able to find here in Lost Wages.  :'(

Offline gemihur

• Starting Member
  • think twice, shoot once
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »
I go with the  45 for RB

I Love nature, with gravy and onions.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:40 PM »
Daryl, I see .69's pop up from time to time. Usually Pedersoli Charlevilles if I remember correctly. But they just don't seem to be too widely available.

My .62/20 eats enough powder and lead that I'm not sure I'd want to shoot anything much bigger on a regular basis. Wouldn't mind trying out a .69 for kicks though.

OK, I'll be realistic... If I shot it I'd want to own it.  ;D

Mike

Years ago, in the late 80's, our in-town range (on the city limits) was a full 300 meters. At rendezvous, we used both the trail walk, BP range and the big CF range "up top"
for our shoots. Hanging on the 300 meter target posts, was a 2 1/2' or so, round steel gong.  I had sighted my third leaf for that 300 meter gong.  Several of the 'guys' shot
my big rifle with it's 'big load' on that gong, and everyone who tried, hit the gong, first shot. That was good as none of them would fire another and haven't to the day.
It's actually a fun gun to shoot offhand, with the big load, in my opinion, of course. That load being the same as what was in the late 1700's military issue paper ctg., albeit I
use a much larger ball & better powder, than they did.
Daryl