Author Topic: Help identifying an old long gun  (Read 2343 times)

Bear Arms

Help identifying an old long gun
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:29:08 PM »
Good Day,
I am researching this old gun I acquired. I was told the owner acquired it earlier in the last century, but that is all that is known about it.
Here are some pics.
The barrel is 44'. I measured the end of the bore at .385mm
I can find no marks on it, no words at all.
Thank You

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help identifying an old long gun
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
1850s Appalachian working man’s rifle. Can you take closer pictures of the buttplate and guard?
Andover, Vermont

Bear Arms

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks
Here they are.

Offline Matt58

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »
nice looking metal work...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 07:22:25 PM »
I cannot tell for sure but the guard and maybe buttplate look like aged brass. True?
Andover, Vermont

Bear Arms

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:08:28 PM »
Yes, I believe it is brass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
Could be Midwest as well. Hard to tell with plain late percussion guns as parts were widely available.
Andover, Vermont

Bear Arms

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 10:16:25 PM »
Most likely 40 cal? And I assume it is not worth much.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 11:34:00 PM »
It appears they replace the original lock with a shotgun lock
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Bear Arms

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Any other educated responses to this weapon id?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »
This rifle appears to be "southern" to me. The long barrel, which appears shortened one to two inches, is more often found on these later rifles in the more southern states. The straight butt lines and pointed toe suggest KY, NC, or parts of TN to me. The cheek does not appear heavily "scooped" or shallowed out, which  is more common on NC rifles and Bluegrass KY guns, but the butt plate, very tall and thin, without an exaggerated top extension and not pinned at the toe, seems more in the KY style than the other states, at least to me...and KY guns outside of the central Bluegrass region have the normal, non-scooped cheeks, often similar with a simple molding line like this one. NC guns, while having triangular butts, at times don't have the comb height the KY guns have. The two flats filed on the outside of the guard's bow [as opposed to the more standard 3 flats] are often found in central-to-northern KY, and parts of NC. We all wish there were a few more distinctive details to better place this rifle... it's just a couple years too late. I would think best chance is KY, possibly NC. A lot more guess than fact, but it's a start. Am I correct in thinking stock wood is plain grained maple? Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:03:02 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 04:19:03 AM »
For myself, I'd like to see at least a few more photographs and a measurement, or two.  A few suggestions:

a.) Muzzle and muzzle treatment, b.) Lower ramrod entry and/or pipe at forearm, c.) Tang treatment and tang

length, d.) Front and rear sight details, e.) Top of barrel between breech and rear sight, e.) Barrel dimensions 

along its length, f.) Lock inletting (lock removed)  [?]  original flintlock, or flint plate converted for percussion.   

g.) stock cleaned [?] or refinished, h.) Location of  percussion bolster [?] in breech plug, i.) Missing [?] set-trigger 

adjustment screw - forward hole for tang bolt,  j.) Stock damage [?] near muzzle, k.) Front

escutcheon [?] under the repurposed brass repair plate.  l.) Ramrod pipe material and treatments.

m.) Measurements between ramrod pipes, n.) Missing barrel underside lugs/tenons [?] or blank filled dove

tailed cuts, o.) Duplicate and now empty holes in stock for barrel pins

My eyes are just not what they used to be... and I have medical proof. 

More a student than anything and definitely a later period rifle, but even plain and simple looking things have details. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:36:03 AM by Collector »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 04:58:53 AM »
Talk about makin do with what ya got. This ol feller has seen plenty of that. Overall I like the look and lines of it. More better pics definalely welcome. Thanks for showing it.
If you like it, aint no bother what it is worth. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Levy

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
Looks kinda like a plain Leman rifle to me.  James Levy
James Levy

Bear Arms

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »
Thank you everyone. Appreciate it.

Offline Collector

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
Bear Arms,

The butt plate and trigger guard of your rifle are brass (with beautiful patina, btw), but a small detail such as documenting it as having ram rod pipes that are iron, together with an accompanying photograph would, were that the case, further help in identifying this as not only a 'southern' piece, but might point towards a more specific area of origin and possibly a maker. 

It really is, all in the details.

Good luck!!