Author Topic: Single of double set triggers? Best for hunting and target  (Read 2189 times)

Online okawbow

Single of double set triggers? Best for hunting and target
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:25:12 PM »
I have rifles that use a simple pinned single trigger and others that have set triggers. I have come to the conclusion, after 50 years of deer hunting; that a simple single trigger is better than double set. Even the double acting set triggers.

Double set triggers just add another thing to go wrong in the stress of a hunting situation. I find myself forgetting to set the trigger or accidentally setting it off with cold fingers. Ive missed more than one nice buck that way. There is more room for my fingers in a single trigger guard. 

When I build a rifle or smooth bore, the quality locks today allow the trigger to be positioned for a smooth and light enough pull for even serious target work. I believe the lock time is faster also, from the moment the trigger is pulled to the gun going off. There is no lag time for the set trigger to operate. There is also less chance for a surprise discharge. I never did see the advantage of a double set trigger on a flintlock, and even a percussion gun works well with a single trigger.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: Single of double set triggers? Best for hunting and target
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
It's also easier to be absolutely silent going to full cock with a single trigger.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 11:41:32 PM »
I like a well tuned single trigger on my deer rifles but I like double set triggers on my turkey rifle. A deer might surprise you then the single trigger is the best for me, but I have ample time to use set triggers for turkey hunting.
I can shoot either one equally well but I give the edge to my flintlock with double set triggers.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 01:48:43 AM »
Im ok with my single triggers for hunting.  But I really like double triggers for my targets and woodswalks.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 05:47:45 AM »
Im ok with my single triggers for hunting.  But I really like double triggers for my targets and woodswalks.

1lb double set on my squirrel gun, anything else on anything else...

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »
I have a Walter Cain Hawken set trigger on my .54 Hawken. It will fire the gun set or unset. I killed one elk with it with the trigger unset, as the situation required a quick shot. I have also shot 3 other elk with it with the trigger set.  That trigger is not heavy unset but has more travel unset.  Something that is not noticed when quick action is required.
The flintlock  I have killed my last three elk with has a simple single trigger that breaks at 2.25 pounds, has no creep or travel, and is quite crisp. This year it was very cold due to the high wind and I had gloves on, no problem.
If you are going to use a set trigger for hunting. It may be wise to adjust it so it breaks between 2 and 3 pounds.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 05:48:17 PM »
The lock and position of a single trigger will determine the trigger pull on any
gun with an external hammer. A spring driven set trigger is another mechanical
functional altogether.I have seen locks that had a poorly fit sear screw that made
the arm of the sear lift and twist before leaving the full cock position in the tumbler.
Precise fitting pins in set triggers are a good idea and that is not hard to do in making
set triggers.
Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 05:56:08 PM »
When I made the set trigger for my "Jaeger" rifle, I found that it could be fired set or unset, and set while the cock was down, on half cock or on full cock.
I think it depends on what you are familiar with, but I usually set that trigger. The pull is nothing to disturb your aim un-set though.

I seem to have one more screw in my set triggers than most I look at.
Put it down to not knowing really what I was doing!....but it's never altered in 20 plus years. still as reliable as when first made.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
 Primitive pinned trigger for my hunting gun. If you don’t think a deer, or a coyote, can hear the click of a set trigger, you must be making some mighty long shots.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
It's also easier to be absolutely silent going to full cock with a single trigger.

With double set, single throw, yes, but with double set double throw triggers, cocking the gun silently is identical to
when using a single trigger. You just use the front trigger only.
Set triggers are quite useful for target shooting, less important for hunting, but:
a simple trigger (only one) can be adjusted much more easily and finely, than-can the front trigger of a double set, double
throw trigger (system).
My hunting rifle (yes I use it for target shooting) has a simple trigger - only one plus it has the cold weather guard.
My "target" rifles have double-set, double-throw triggers, however they don't help me to shoot more accurately than with the simple trigger rifle - go figure.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 09:42:03 PM »
Everyone of my rifles and pistols have double triggers and I use them for every kind of shooting. However I am in the early stages of what I want in a Virginia/North Carolina smooth rifle. It probably will have a single trigger.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.