Author Topic: help on Kiser  (Read 5319 times)

jwh1947

help on Kiser
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
Several years ago I examined an attractive gun on a local boy's wall marked A. Kiser.  Another gun, so marked, surfaced at Morphy's auction (#1296).  Does anyone have any documented info. on this maker?  Sellers says unlocated.  I can add nothing.  Would appreciate knowing something about this man.  JWH

Offline Spotz

• member 2
Re: help on Kiser
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »
A resounding "I don't know" from the Upper Susquehanna.  Morphy's indicated that the "A. Kiser" rifle was from the Upper Susquehanna and it was a plausible attribution.  I have a lot of Upper Susquehanna information, but never ran across this maker.  I have seen several rifles signed "A * K" from the Upper Susquehanna, and interestingly, they had the very straight (block-like) signature identical to the more complete A. Kiser signature observed at Morphy's.  I am intriqued, but feel comfortable that we can add another maker to the Upper Susquehanna school.  I am going to follow-up on researching this individual as soon as time permits.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
I've seen a nice fullstocked "A. Kiser" rifle here in a family in Indiana, full patchbox and silver fish shaped inlays along the forestock. The "long lost" Kiser gunsmith is Abraham Kiser of Juniata County, PA.  He worked in "Kiser Hollow" in Fermanaugh Twp. (at least in 1827) based on the birthplace of one daughter. The marriage and burial records of the Mifflintown Westminister Presbyterian Church in Fayette Twp. contain the following two entries:

1.  1809 Marriages:   Abraham Kiser to June Lowery on November 16, 1809

2.   Burials:    Caroline Kiser -   Nov 1827 to 17 Feb 1903
Mrs. Caroline Switzer for many years a resident of Mifflin-
town died at her home in Lewistown on Tuesday aftersnoon Feb
17 1903, aged about 75 yr.  Her death was due to a general break
down of her once vigorous body.  The deceased born in Ferman-
augh Twnp, north of Arch Rock in what is known as Kiser Hollow.
Her father, Abraham Kiser was a gunsmith of wide renown.  Her
husband, Isadorcus Switzer died in this place about 20 yrs ago.
One child, Mrs. John Bender, of this place survives her.  Her
remains were brought to this place and interred in the Presbyter-
ian Cemetery on Friday last.

Hope this helps.                   Shelby Gallien

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
Shelby.....very interesting.   I am active in the Juniata County historical society and I find it very interesting to find another
gunbuilder from Juniata County, not too many known.   We have an excellent archives section and will check further on
this builder.   Mifflintown and the arch rock area are about 7 miles west of me.............Don

jwh1947

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »
Darn, this site is useful.  Thanks guys, for a good start.  You realize that this stuff is substantial addition to the common print on the subject.  I was suspecting central PA based on architecture and applications.  Some at Morphys were talking Ohio, but I didn't see this in the piece at all.  Thanks again.  JWH

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:11:46 AM »
It definitely says a lot about the need to pick others' brains, and glean information from each other before it is lost. 

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:36:14 AM »
Thank you Shelby! 

This kind of is why I truely enjoy and value this site.  What a resource!  With Shelby's lead I did some quick digging thru the census records.  Mr. Abraham Kiser (or Keiser) shows up in the census documents in Mifflin County (later became Juniata county), Fermanagh Twp. in 1800 & 1830.  In 1810 he shows up in Mifflin Co., Milford Twp..  I haven't found him yet in the 1820 records.  In 1840 he's listed as being 60-70 yrs. of age and residing in Mifflintown Borough, Juniata Co.  I couldn't find in him in the 1850 census records.  However, I did find a Jane (or June) Keiser age 69 living in Lewistown Borough, Mifflin Co. residing with daughters Rachel, Ann and Caroline.  Perhaps this is Abraham's widow?  I speculate that Abraham died prior to 1850 while living in the Mifflintown or Lewistown area.  I did find it interesting that the name is consistently spelled "Keiser" in the census documents, while it is clearly spelled "Kiser" on the rifle recently sold at the auction in Denver, PA.

Any chance you can get some photos of the "A. Kiser" rifle

Mark Loudenslager

Offline Loudy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:45:53 AM »
I got ahead of myself and launched that last post before I finished my final thought... 

Shelby... Is there any chance you might be able to get photos of the "A. Kiser" rifle that found it's way out to the "Hoosier State"? 

Mark

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 05:08:47 AM »
Mark, the owner of the rifle used to be a work acquaintenance of mine, about 20 years ago. I'll check the phone book to see if he is still around.... don't know, since he was about 350 lbs. in those days, not built to survive old age well. But I'll see if the gun is still around, or if his wife still lives at their old address.
What I recall of the rifle, which really caught my eye back in those days (before I discovered that early guns from Kentucky are the neatest ones around... chuckle, chuckle), is the following:

1. Stock, very much PA, pretty straight butt lines, no pronounced Roman nose or obvious upper susquahanna butt details. All original dark finish, good curly maple, forestock molding
2. original full length barrel, but only about 40 inches, not too long.
3. originally flint, Germanic lock, converted to percusison.
4. full brass box, but don't remember its design.
5. small silver fish inlays along the forestock at wedge locations.
6. I think I recall the bore was pretty good size, maybe around .45
I'll check on it Saturday, and see if I can run it down.   
                                                                                                           Shelby Gallien

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:33:45 AM »
There were two A. Kiser rifles sold at Morphy's Auction.  One definitely looked Upper Susquehanna, but the other looked earlier, with straighter lines.  It also had a daisy head patchbox with more of a Lancaster feel to it.  Neither rifle looked like it had been re-stocked.

It seems that this gunsmith had a long career, which could possibly explain the different architecture in the rifles.  Thanks for the information Shelby, very interesting stuff.

Frank

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
May I add another ingredient to this fermenting mash? I have a Washington Court House, Fayette County, Ohio, rifle made by J. Moyer (probably the J. Moyaer in Gardner) that was made in 1850 and so marked on a brass plate let into the top flat of the barrel. A gaudy rifle with some 50 plus inlays and with silver furniture, it has a name engraved on the PB lid: Washington Keiser. Was he a relative to the Kiser we are discussing here? I don't know. The piece came out of the Herman Dean collection many years ago and scant research has been done since.
Since the name is close, there may be a connection. Anyone out there know?
Dick