Author Topic: Advise for shipping a black powder rifle  (Read 2006 times)

Offline brokenhand

• Starting Member
Advise for shipping a black powder rifle
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:01 AM »
I am trying to find out the legal ins and outs of shipping a rifle I have to a buyer in Iowa. I am in Arkansas, and have never done this before. Any advise will be appreciated. I have a pretty good idea about what kind of box and packing. Just don't know about legalities and should I use UPS or USPS.  Also would it have to ship dealer to dealer. I'm thinking not? Thanks

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Advise for shipping a black powder rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »
I am trying to find out the legal ins and outs of shipping a rifle I have to a buyer in Iowa. I am in Arkansas, and have never done this before. Any advise will be appreciated. I have a pretty good idea about what kind of box and packing. Just don't know about legalities and should I use UPS or USPS.  Also would it have to ship dealer to dealer. I'm thinking not? Thanks

No legalities involved at all. Box it up. Send it USPS directly to the receiver. Or UPS. I think you have to ship UPS from the Customer Center at a HUB and declare it but that’s it. No need to declare it at the PO.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
Die before you use USPS right now.  The Covid, Christmas, staff shortage, Vaccine, inflated volume since lock downs  and sinking local morale have stretched out my Chambers Kit on Priority mail to where I am going to have to ask for a trace by the Chambers folks.  The last tracking entry puts this 4 foot by 8 inch box hung up between Harrisburg and Newmanstown ( 40 or so miles)  and has been that way for six days without any change to a tracking effort.  I would not bet on UPS, either.

I would stay in touch with your customer and advise him that you are going to wait until more of the rat has passed through the snake.   That way you both know where the gun is.

I truly don't know whether this ungainly box is sitting at shipping somewhere because it won't fit conveniently into somebody's SUV mostly because all the other smaller boxes made it here in spite of being shipped after the Chambers kit.

I am really hesitant to unload on these  USPS folks because they are truly beleaguered in these extraordinary times.  Karen at Chambers told me that this problem is universal for now.  I've always felt that you could take their word to the bank.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
USPS is very slow right now. I just received a 2 day small flat rate box mailed 12/8. Still waiting on a rifle mailed about that same time. Also another small package is hung up in MD!

I feel sure all will eventually get here! Very bad time to ship anything!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »
I just shipped a rifle a couple weeks ago. I usually use USPS but because of the holidays decided to go with UPS instead even though it was more money. It was a bad idea. Package arrived with the end cut out of the box and all the accessories missing.Luckily I had wrapped the rifle so tightly it did not slide out the bottom of the box. I contacted UPS they said they were so backed up they could not do anything about it tell the middle of January. Never will ship one again around the holiday's. It's just not worth the headache.

Chad

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
What I got told from asst postmaster here in Charleston, is a lot of packages are still in the truck trailer sitting on the yard at destination Po ,or also havent left originating post office distribution center. The Bill Large barrel I sent to Springfield, Mo was returned to me cuz I got the buyers adress slightly wrong, and when it did show up on my porch,the tube was busted, barrel and other contents gone, and was obviously opened as the end cap drywall screws had been messed with.
This is a really bad scene lately.
Good luck with your chore. Just wait til mid Jan or?
Best regards and luck, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline brokenhand

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »
Thanks for all the advise and experiences. Not sure how I will play this.