Author Topic: Portable work bench  (Read 2672 times)

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
Portable work bench
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »
Is there a portable work bench sold today that is worth having? One that could hold a stock blank to route a barrel channel. Key word is "portable". I think I may already know the answer. Thanks!
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Portable work bench
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »
If you want to make your own bench, I really like this knock down work bench.
David

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 02:01:55 AM »
A Workmate might answer your needs. I built this one a few years back and it is portable enough so I can get it in my van, but wouldn't want to move it around all the time either. It was built out of construction lumber with mortise and tenon construction.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:45:17 AM »
I have a Workmate 550 for which I made a new center table piece out of oak and fitted it with a machinist's vise. It isn't terribly stable and I wouldn't want to try debreeching a barrel in it, but it fits in an apartment kitchen and the ability to swap between a cabinet-maker's configuration (as it was originally designed) and the vise makes it pretty versatile - I've made and fitted gun sights, inletted small parts into gunstocks, scratchbuilt model train cars, made a complete dagger and scabbard, did my fist set of dovetails, jointed long boards that eventually became shelves, and worked on powderhorns on that bench, just off the top of my head.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:44 AM »
This is awesome for holding a rifle and very portable.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:57:55 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline tooguns

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 05:25:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I've got a good idea what I need. Thanks!
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »
My workbench is a knockdown type, and can be scaled to suit your needs. But it's a bit more involved than any kit.  It's Paul Sellers' bench made from 2x4's.  One about half as long as my current main bench might not be too bad for moving around. I made mine from watching Pauls free videos.  He also does one in plyboard, but that doesn't interest me.

Oh look, he made a new series of videos (for this design) three years back.  I followed the videos he made "in the garden" about ten years ago.  No shop, just sawbucks and a few basic tools.  A well-tuned and sharp plane being highly utilized. Again, size it up or down to suit your needs.  I've never had a more stable work platform-and it is a knock-down.

Good luck.

Here's the newer video (can also be sourced as his "Woodworking Masterclasses" site in the free section):

SEE #6 to understand where much of the rigidity of this design comes from.  The aprons house the legs you see.  That design is a bit different than the center-well I built.  I'll be making another one of these when I have space for a new bench.  But I'm not traveling with it. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:03:11 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 05:12:01 AM »
tooguns,
I was like you last year and wanted a portable bench so I could transport it with me when we travel and also be able to sit at it to relieve my back pain.
First, I had an adjustable metal saw horse that I added a 2”x6” and installed a tee track down the center. I purchased a couple of Panavise 301 vises and mounted them on oak platforms with 1/4” holes to be able to attach them to the bench tee slot with 1/4” x 20 tee slot bolts and plastic knobs. This allowed quick attachment or movement to accommodate what I needed for my long rifle work. I also did the same with a small machinist vise for working small parts. On the 301s, I replaced the plastic vise jaws with small oak ones with leather glued to the surfaces. I recently took this bench on a trip and was able to finish polishing a trigger guard. The bench broke down easily and was easy to set up.
Secondly, I made a semi-portable bench I could work around but with dual tee tracks (another idea a friend of mine from Canada gave me) to lock down heavier vises. I got the idea from one that David Rase showed on this forum back in 2016 under the title “Sturdy free-standing work bench” that he showed photos of. I modified his design to make mine at a 30” bench height. It works great for using a good stool and I can move around it as I need. I have a stockmakers vise as my primary vise.
If you are a member of the NMLRA, there are photos and more description in the December 2020 issue of the Muzzle Blasts magazine on page 55 (the “Schools On” column). If you are not a member, you can pm me for more details. Good luck and I will be glad to answer any questions you might have.
elkhorne

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 08:52:38 AM »
3 legged sawhorse, https://www.instructables.com/Three-Legged-Knock-Down-Sawhorse/

Add a 2x10 or so on top for a "table".  Or make 2 "table" tops and on one have any vises you need already mounted.  I also made an extra cross piece a little shorter, only 2 foot long.  With 2 sizes in tops and 2 lengths in the cross piece, I have 4 configurations.  I used it for travel, I planned what I would be doing, and only hauled one top and the 2 legs. 

At campgrounds, all of the picnic tables seats are about the same, so I had a seat, a full picnic table and my workbench.  I also had one extra top that I had a mini wood lathe mounted on it.  It only took a minute to load up my project stuff. 

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:33 AM »
This has become my favorite bench and I use it everywhere. It's in my livingroom now. :D

Alan K. Merrill

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »
As an ex toolmaker usually working w/ steel, I've developed a "heavy hand" so my work bench is very sturdy,  bolted to the concrete floor and up against a wall for  handy tool access. Don't think a portable, light weight bench could withstand my "heavy hand. If I were just starting to build MLers I'd have 2 workbenches......one would be very  sturdy and bolted to the flor as my present one is and the other would be a "walk around" bench that's also sturdy and bolted to the floor, but if needed could be portable.  This bench would mainly be used for stock work and would have very handy tool access. Overhead lighting would have to be used.... clamped  or screwed  down  lamps would just get in the way......Fred

Offline tooguns

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
Thanks to all for the great advise! Happy New Year to all!!

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 09:00:14 PM »
Look at Galudwigs post on pattermaking vise placements. He has a stockmakers horse pictured similar to the one I offered plans for a year or so ago. It has been my go to bench ever since I originally built it. My conventional benches have become tool storage areas since I built it. It was designed originally to be portable to go to shows and demonstrations. Total weight approximately 100 lbs assembled. Unfortunately the original plans have perished in a computer crash. I haven’t got around to redrawing and retyping the plans and destructions. Perhaps one of our board members still has a set. BJH
BJH

Offline Longshot

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »
I recall that Tom Curran [Acer] used/uses what I thought to be an ingenious, serviceable and PC correct knock-down bench when on the road. The epitome of 'simplicity is the ultimate sophistication'.  Years ago he shared with me a drawing of the components of the bench, which is now trapped in one of my old computers. I made the bench but no longer have it.  You may recall seeing it at Dixon's.
~Longshot

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 07:15:52 PM »
I built this out of old growth spruce so its light yet sturdy. It knocks apart by taking out the wedges and lays flat in the back of my 4 runner. I use it for doing demos.  There is just enough space for me to lay out my chisel rolls and stocking tools, plane, spoke-shave etc...

Dave Blaisdell