Author Topic: Travlelling ink well  (Read 1666 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Travlelling ink well
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:28:12 AM »
Over the years going to gun shows , auctions flea markets looking for old guns I would see alot of interesting stuff . Not always having enough funds to by an old gun  I'd try to pick up some kind of period item.  This is one such item. It's an ink well made to be used on a lap desk or at least  I think that's the idea . . the brass  handle  holds the pen and quill.  I believe at one time there was a glass bottle that went inside.  I found it interesting and wondered what travels it went on.
I.m sure some of you guys have picked up a lot of junk along the way also. It.s always fun to see.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:30:48 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Travlelling ink well
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:52:35 AM »
Very interesting find, Jim. I like it! You might float that by art DeCamp; he likes these early ink wells. Honestly, I don't ever remember seeing one before. Gotta love the ALR because if you are patient you can find hens teeth here. Thank you for posting it and enlightening some, or all of us. Much appreciated!
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »
Great little item I’ve not seen before
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »
Glad you like it. One day I was looking at a book of John Audubon's prints. There was one of him drawing on a lap desk with an ink well like this one. He had his hand across the handle to hold it in place while he drew. Not to long after that I came across this so I had an idea what I was looking at.

Picture to show where the pen slides in handle.

JIM

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:42:01 PM »
Very nice.  I have never seen one either.  Thanks for posting and now I am looking for one darn you!!!!

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin