Author Topic: Serious huntin' gun  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Serious huntin' gun
« on: December 30, 2020, 02:17:48 AM »
        It is not often that the cobbler gets to make a pair of shoes for himself, the same with gunmakers.  I have always kind of liked the look of full stock English Sporting rifles,   There is a nice color plate of a number of them in the Great Gunmakers book.  Three were built by Twigg and seemed like a good basis to work from.  I had on hand a Twigg lock, and a 62 cal. Edward Marshall barrel, that seemed like they would work.  A couple pieces of cast furniture and i was well on my way.   I have never seen one of these rifles in person, just a few photos, so I am sure Smart Dog will set me straight on some screw ups.. I finished the gun about a month ago and the initial sight in was most gratifying.  Now I just need to get myself out of the shop and into the woods to see if I can put the smell of venison in the pan with it.  The gun seems to like 90 gr. of 3f Goex and a .600 ball, I doubt that the deer will like it. 

how to create png image
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Serious huntin' gun
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 02:37:08 AM »
You built yourself a gorgeous rifle, wow!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Clint

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 05:13:44 AM »
The contrast between the second photo, showing the lockside of the butt, and the third photo showing the engraved tang is almost startling! Well thought out rifle.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 06:58:55 AM »
Beautiful!  Im heading home to Ridgway.  The weather doesnt look to good coming up.  Ugh.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »
What's not to like about it?
Looks awesome, even for an English gun..
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Longshot

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
That is a smart lookin' piece.
Salute!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
   Lucky that is one good looking deer thumper... Oldtravler

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
Lucky,

Very nice clean work!
The Twiggs you see in GBG are lovely examples to follow, and for some reason, I Really like the Jackson once owned by the fourth Duke of Aylesford..
You've got me all of an itch to do one of these!

I Think  Jackson is the right name....

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
This gun is real easy to look at.  Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Offline Percy

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 05:23:40 PM »
Really nice looking gun. You certainly do nice work.

Percy

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
Deer picks please.  ;)

She’s a beaut. I do love an English gun.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Wow, I REALLY like this one, and I’ll bet it hits like the hammer of Thor!  Sweet rifle!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
Yes, I like it too. Nice work. Does it slap your face when you shoot it? I,m working on a 66 cal along the same lines some what. Mine will weigh approx 9&1\2 lbs and plan on something like a 4 dram load.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 01:46:11 AM »
       Thanks for the nice comments on the "huntin' gun"    The early English architecture with the straight comb line and a broad flat butt plate seems to soak up recoil very well.  There is no face slapping with 90 gr. of 2F that I am presently using.   Previously I owned a 62 cal. half stock  sporting rifle with much the same architecture.  One day at a shoot while loading and BSing, I accidentally double charged.  When I touched off 180 gr. of 2f, I sure knew I had shot something serious.  It was one of those times that you looked to see if everything was still where it was supposed to be---It was a bit of an overload for cross strings at 15 yds...
       I have not gotten to drop the hammer on a deer yet.  A bad knee and 8-10" of snow makes it hard to get to where the deer are. 
Ron 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »
Cool beans! My hunting rifles are all rather large bore. .58 cal deer just find them poisonous. I have a similar rifle in the works for myself. What is your rifles finished weight? Looks like serious medicine for deer or Pa. elk hunting. Or black bear for that matter. My kind of deer rifle. BJH
BJH