Author Topic: $15 stock blank  (Read 2836 times)

Offline sdilts

$15 stock blank
« on: December 30, 2020, 03:29:41 AM »
I just finished this for a friend.  He got this blank for $15 at Friendship a few years ago. It did have a bit of a bow in it and it was just long enough to use. I'd say he still got a pretty good deal though.

instagram bookmarklet

Offline Daryl

Re: $15 stock blank
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:55:11 AM »
Nice- really great design for a  hunting/stalking rifle. What calibre?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline AMartin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:18 AM »
Paid way to much !!!!

Nice looking rifle .. !!
Al

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 04:51:26 AM »
Really nice. 

Where did you get the plug, tang and associated parts?

Offline sdilts

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 05:49:06 AM »
It's got a 32" 50 cal Rice swamped barrel, 1 1/8" at the breech. It comes in at 7 lbs. He supplied the parts. I believe he got them from TOW a while back. The reason he used the 1 1/8" barrel is because that was the size breech plug he had. He couldn't find a 1" plug. The stock finish is Chambers Oil rubbed back with rottenstone.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
Very nice clean work, and very pretty wood!  Grand rifle.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 06:47:56 AM »
Nice looking rifle with nice wood and workmanship. How did you fit the rib to the bottom of the swamped barrel?

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
A hunting we will go....

Offline sdilts

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 04:42:44 PM »
Nice looking rifle with nice wood and workmanship. How did you fit the rib to the bottom of the swamped barrel?

The rib is soldered on. I used Solder-It silver bearing solder paste. The rib has a milled edge that slightly overhangs the barrel flat. According to MBS, it will fit 13/16" to 1 1/8" barrels. You can adjust the fit by how you tighten the C clamps.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 06:27:48 PM »
That looks to me like a awesome piece of wood, great deal

Offline old george

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 02:26:10 AM »
Did you have to back into the cashier? Should have been ashamed to pay so little for that fine piece of wood. ;D What a find and a nice rifle.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 03:18:39 AM »
That is truly a remarkable piece of walnut!  And a splendid rifle to boot.  An observation though, if I may:  highly figured wood, especially with grain issues through the wrist and lock area, have a tendency to be fragile.  They don't take rough use like being dropped, or aggressive ham-fisted loading techniques. So advise your friend to treat it gently.
Congratulations on a really lovely rifle.  And I would keep the cost of the wood under your hat.  Knowing how it was stolen doesn't add anything to the rifle's value or worth, and only diminishes the character of the purchaser.  Not that it's any of my business.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
Taylor,
Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to my friend. As far as the price of the blank, that is what the seller had on it. It did have a rather good bow in it and was just barely long enough and thick enough. There was no extra wood to play with. I actually had to shorten the desired LOP because that's all the wood I had to work with. It also had some sort of white substance covering it. You couldn't tell it had this kind of figure until I started cutting into it. I wish I had taken a before picture of the blank.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
I just finished this for a friend.  He got this blank for $15 at Friendship a few years ago. It did have a bit of a bow in it and it was just long enough to use. I'd say he still got a pretty good deal though.

Lets see, I see your $15 one and will raise you with a $0 one ;D A friend gave me this blank. It did have a crack in the wrist but I was restocking an original barrel and tang for a customer who was not going to be firing the rifle.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 06:17:46 PM »
That is truly a remarkable piece of walnut!  And a splendid rifle to boot.  An observation though, if I may:  highly figured wood, especially with grain issues through the wrist and lock area, have a tendency to be fragile.  They don't take rough use like being dropped, or aggressive ham-fisted loading techniques. So advise your friend to treat it gently.
Congratulations on a really lovely rifle.  And I would keep the cost of the wood under your hat.  Knowing how it was stolen doesn't add anything to the rifle's value or worth, and only diminishes the character of the purchaser.  Not that it's any of my business.
Taylor is much more polite than I am....That is a beautiful piece of wood but the grain goes completly cross wise in the wrist. I'd drill a hole down that wrist and epoxy an all thread rod 8" or so through the wrist and into the buttstock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »
That's lovely crotch figure in that walnut stock Dennis.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 04:08:38 AM »
 Taylor is much more polite than I am....That is a beautiful piece of wood but the grain goes completly cross wise in the wrist. I'd drill a hole down that wrist and epoxy an all thread rod 8" or so through the wrist and into the buttstock.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike, I'll run that by the owner.

Offline hudson

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 06:49:58 PM »
I absolutely love it.