Author Topic: ALR January 2021 target match [ please note add on ]  (Read 9984 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: ALR January 2021 target match [ please note add on ]
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2021, 02:33:03 AM »
That would work. When hunting "up North" in the special weapons moose hunt, I wore snowmobile mittens with long cuffs.
I was still able to load my paper ctgs. in the .69 rifle without problem.  Temps from freezing (no gloves needed) to -56F - mitten weather.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »
This looks like it'll be my final posting for this month's frolic...my third smoothbore target.  I actually shot this target some time ago, but can't remember the date, though it was in January as is evidenced by the target.  I score it 50 2X though Bob's decision is final naturally.  My method is patched round ball just like I load my rifles.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2021, 04:28:00 AM »
Well, I think I'm safe in assuming that entries are done for this month.
It has been a really satisfying match from my perspective, with 9 submitting rifle targets and 3 submitting smoothbore targets.   :)
  The scores were superb;  congratulations to all.  Off hand shooting "just for fun"  , and still some great scores.
It took a while to go through all the targets, enlarging them for as close scrutiny as I could give.

The final results were going to be problematic with 5 shooters tied with 50 3X , until Taylor managed a solid 50 4 X    Congratulations Taylor  :)

Smoothbore shooters did almost as well with 50's all around.  Daryl took the top prize with a 50 3 X 
Congratulations Daryl

The offer of separate prizes for rifle and smoothbore shooters was something I really wanted to do, just to promote the use of the smoothbores that I have really come to appreciate. [ my go to hunting gun ]   Hopefully more will try these matches in the future with their smoothy.
I guess that Taylor [ rifle] and high score regardless , gets to choose the Feb target .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2021, 05:31:37 AM »
Thanks for putting the January shoot on, Bob.
I'd also like to thank everyone who participated, along with a couple new shooters this month and hopefully to continue this "trend" into the coming year.
We've tried postal matches prior to this at ALR, but this one is the longest running. Lets try to keep the pace up. I need to cast some more balls.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »
Doesn't matter a hoot to me but did I not post a 50 4X also? Just asking? Can't wait for the new target to be posted. Looks like winter is over here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2021, 08:51:57 AM »
Hi Mike.  I believe you mentioned that your one target was a  4X or possibly a 3 X when you submitted it.  .   When I used my clear plastic ball centre scoring aid on the much enlarged target , it was clear that shot # 3 was not 1/2 in the X.  Almost, but definitely not in.  Your target would have won over all the other 50 3X submissions simply because it was the closest to a 4X in the match.....until Taylor shot that solid 50 4X
I should have given you an honourable mention and I apologize for not doing so. I do appreciate you taking part, and hope you'll do so again

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »
Congratulations to Taylor and Daryl for some fine shooting and a thank you to Bob for a very tough target!

Tony

On to February!