Author Topic: ALR January 2021 target match [ please note add on ]  (Read 9740 times)

Offline alacran

Re: ALR January 2021 target match [ please note add on ]
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2021, 12:12:15 AM »
I always assume that smooth bore match means gun without a rear sight. Also a gun that is .54 caliber or larger. No set triggers. Even a sling that would go over the barrel instead of a swivel would not be allowed.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2021, 01:12:36 AM »
I had not thought about calibre or bore size, but my understanding is a gun, smooth of bore, no rifling and without a rear sight above the plane of the barrel.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2021, 03:30:08 AM »
Yes, that is correct , Taylor.  I guess I just assume that since none of the smoothbore matches I've attended allowed them. Just to be clear, I'm going on record here that scopes aren't allowed on the rifles either  ;D   And...this is a round ball match.

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2021, 04:14:50 AM »
On page three and still fixing the rules boys?     ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2021, 04:43:12 AM »
& nothing smaller than 16 bore. ::)
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2021, 04:54:47 AM »

Yes Richard.  I'm old and confused  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2021, 06:08:03 AM »
Supposed to be +6 here on Sunday.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2021, 03:39:41 PM »
Supposed to be +6 here on Sunday.
Heat Wave!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »

Yes Richard.  I'm old and confused  ;D

Same here Bob! 

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »

And thus this turns into a prime example of why most people don't shoot competitively.  What was supposed to be just a fun way to shoot has evolved into sudden changes, new rules a week into the match, requirements of NMLRA rules paragraph 4, page 6, subsection C, etc.   You boys have at it, the targets I printed are going in the fire and my smoothbore is heading back to the woods.   
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
Osprey,
I feel for you, And for Bob!
I can not speak for anyone else, but am sure this event was supposed to be a fun thing, yet certain rules seem to be required, and the more this was discussed, more over-sights seem to come to light.
I know this is upsetting to all, But,  not intentional.

FWIW,  I too thought to use a smoothbore,( both original matchlocks and home-mades,) But, all have rear sights, LOL!
Then I thought about percussion and yes, have two I could use,....then remembered one is an 1840's original pattern F EIC musket.  ...it has a rear sight too!
The other percussion is a cut down P '53....and It fires a minie type so it's out as well!  LOL!
Still, we must look on the amusing side of this, and not get bent out of shape..
I still have a flint rifle or two.  :-)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
Richard, I have shot almost every match I have entered before under the NMLRA rules.  It's become ingrained in me and around here, these rules are pretty much assumed to apply by everyone. That's why I didn't list every little detail etc 
And yes, the main object is to have fun and get some shooting done.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:35 PM »
This match is all about getting out and shooting our beloved long rifles. It never has been about the compitition just having fun and seeing what others are shooting. I still look forward to each months shoot even though 2 of the 3 clubs I shoot at are up and having matches and the range I belong to is open for business I will still shoot this every month. If your unhappy with the postal match don't shoot it or win it and set up your own target, distance, and prize.
With all that is going on let's see more smiles and less frowns.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 12:25:52 AM »
Bob,

Please don't worry about this. It is all meant to be fun, and if some of us don't know about rules, its because we never shot at a a proper match!
That's not your fault!
I look forward to trying it with my old rifle.   :)

Quite agree with your post, Muskrat.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2021, 02:10:48 AM »
Well we got out. I have a pair of targets to post, 1st 5 shots on one, a 50 2X and the
last 2 shots on another making my score, it appears, a 50 3X. Seems a 3-way tie.
25 yards - (Laser)
standing/offhand
14 bore rifle
15 bore pure lead ball
82gr. 3F GOEX
.022" compressed denim (back of legs)
Spit for lube

Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2021, 02:43:54 AM »
While Daryl was chewing the centres out of his targets, I blasted away at mine with my smoothie, a Chambers' Pennsylvania fowler in 20 gauge.  Extremely difficult.  The snow and the white target sheet caused the barrel to glare like the snow, making it very difficult to acquire a sight picture that meant anything.  The result was, I was shooting nice one hole groups 2 1/2" to the left.  It took me three targets before I was anywhere remotely happy with my shooting, and the following target does not represent my best by any means.   It is what it isn't.  I will try again another day.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2021, 03:19:33 AM »
Nice shooting all around. Keep the targets coming,  There's still lot's of time.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2021, 04:26:04 AM »
Went out today and shot, 50/1, 50/2 and 50/3, no need for pics. I need a 50/4, will try again next week. Do any of you use  JB bore cleaner? Highly recommend it, after every 100 shots thru the barrel run a patch with JB (5-10) passes thru the barrel. It will tighten your groups up  a little bit , taking a 1 1/2" group down to 1 1/4" maybe 1 1/8". It really does work. It kind of" freshens "the barrel allowing the patch to grab the rifling a bit better. One more question for you guys (Daryl/ Taylor)  up north. You are always referencing temperatures and snow , would you say global warming has not hit you? Are you getting the same amount of snow and cold temps you have gotten over the last couple of years (5-10) ?  I have always wanted to retire up north , I like the snow and cold. Good shooting Daryl.   StevenV

Offline Daryl

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2021, 04:39:03 AM »
Tks Steven.  Our winters (Central B.C.) are definitely warmer than they were 30 years ago, however in other parts of the country, it's colder than it was 30 years ago.
It all depends on where Up North happens to be.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2021, 04:40:02 AM »
Steven:  if we were to judge climate change by this year alone, we'd have to say we ARE being affected seriously.  Normally at this time of year, we'd be in -20 to -30 C. and at least 4  feet of snow.  Yet we're dealing with temperatures above freezing today, a little sun , and only about 18" of snow in our BP field.  So as a result we are able to shoot this year, when in others we would not.  Our warm weather is a result of pressure systems off the west coast sending moist warm air across the province.  The ski hills on the coast and in the Lower Mainland have close to four meters of snow as a base.  We don't get winters now like we used to in the 80's and 90's.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 06:34:40 AM »
Right now we have a artic vortex split, you have the warm air and the people south of you have the cold air.

Offline alacran

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:13 PM »
Taylor that is still fine shooting with a smoothbore and your brother is doing some fine shooting too.
I did the temperature conversion to Fahrenheit and our temps are very close. Our winter has been colder than most and drier than most.
Right now it is -11.1 Celsius here. Will get up to 5.5 this afternoon. If it isn't windy I may go out again. Ln the afternoon the angle of the sun has me grouping to the right not easy to hold off on that target.

Offline Maven

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »
Very impressive shooting so far, guys!  I'm especially impressed with the smoothbore targets.  Btw, I've printed the targets (printer issues*), but am hoping to find a reasonably warm day to shoot mine (and embarrass myself!) before the end of the month. 

*We have a brand new wireless printer that has trouble with the wireless function even though the router is less than 5 feet from it:  Lots of time on the telephone with the manufacturer, but no lasting solution.  I'm thinking a .600" RB from my smoothie may be needed as it may not worsen matters (LOL).  Btw, using a USB cable between my computer and the printer doesn't help at all.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:57 AM »
Looks like I'll be able to go tomorrow.   I've printed targets for every match and between weather,  guests,  holidays and everything else have yet to send a ball.  Should be about 45 f.
Mike Lee

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2021, 07:58:28 AM »
It finally worked out and I was able to shoot two targets this afternoon!  The temperature was in the mid 40s f with a pretty good breeze but it was from directly behind so it was a minimal factor. All in all a good day for shooting.   

I printed up red  circles to cover the 10 ring and serve as an aiming point which worked out well.

The x box was elusive. 

I think the scoring is correct but change them if not.

Mike Lee