Author Topic: How to install a bronze tumbler bearing in a large Siler?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline satwel

How to install a bronze tumbler bearing in a large Siler?
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
My oldest and most-used flintlock is a large Siler I bought from DGW in the early 90's. The tumbler hole in the lock plate is worn enough so that the flintcock wobbles. The Siler repair kit I ordered includes a bronze bearing for the tumbler. How is the bearing installed? Is it a press fit into the lock plate or is it soldered in place? Have any of you installed one of these bronze bushings? Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: How to install a bronze tumbler bearing in a large Siler?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »
How about calling Jim Chambers and ask him?

I have pressed in bronze bearings into parts but I have had to ream the I.D. to size after they have been pressed in.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 11:33:40 PM »
I brushed a tumbler shaft hole with mild steel several years ago I drilled the hole out, may have used an end mill, can't remember. I turned the bushing on the lathe a little larger that the hole, again I can't remember how much. I then put the bushing in the freezer installed and let it warmup then reamed the hole to fit the shaft. Worked fine,for me, later sold the riflsvthat had the lock. Never heard of a problem with it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:43:09 PM »
When the bushing is installed, how likely is it that the hole for the tumbler on the inside will be off enough to put the bridle and sear out of mesh?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:52:36 PM »
It won't be off at all because only a small bushing is installed and nothing has
changed position.I did an L&R years ago and reamed the hole from .295 to .3125
and put in a .3135 hardened steel bushing and the last I knew it was still working.
Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 12:37:41 AM »
Thanks for that reply Bob. I was thinking that if the old hole was worn off to one side that drilling/reaming might make the new hole off center some and thus make the tumbler of some which might make the bridle and sear off some.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:52:35 AM »
When we install the bronze bushing we simply drill the tumbler hole with a 7/16" drill and press the bushing in place.  They are a little long for the thickness of the plate, so just grind off the excess.
I installed one of those oil impregnated bushing in a windmill that's in our front yard.  That thing has been spinning for over 10 years now and is still going strong.  I don't think you will ever shoot enough to wear it out.  And, it makes the lock feel really slick.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 05:13:34 AM »
My target rifle has a Chambers Siler lock with a brass/bronze plate and I am impressed with it's smoothness and speed.  I honestly believe they are a step up over the steel plates as far as function is concerned

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
I must say, we get some Very useful threads on this forum!

Richard.