Author Topic: Track of the Wolf--Extra Fancy?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Ats5331

Track of the Wolf--Extra Fancy?
« on: January 05, 2021, 02:43:36 AM »
Hi all,

How nice is the curl really on the Track of the Wolf extra fancy stocks?

Thanks!

Offline john bohan

Re: Track of the Wolf--Extra Fancy?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:51:13 AM »
I used one and I was not impressed with the wood, Dave Keck uses 7 grades and I've had really nice wood from grade 5 or 6.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 03:10:57 AM »
Never buy wood without looking at it.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:18:45 AM »
Picking out stock blanks is one of my favorite parts of the entire process. I agree with Bama.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 04:25:52 AM »
looks is not as important as hardness and grain direction.  A little carving and some silver wire work make up for a lot of curl.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
I also suggest looking at the stock in person or at least ask for a photo be sent to me at best before making a decision on the purchase. 
                                                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
Why buy from a middle man?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:19 PM »
News for you guys that have to buy maple stocks in person, there is a half a continent that doesn’t have sugar maple trees. Just sayin’.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
There's also the no cut return policy if you don't mind paying freight both ways a couple of times.  :o
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline FALout

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 03:15:59 AM »
I did the return policy bs with a tulle stock from a kit I bought from Track of the Wolf years ago ( I’ve never bought a kit from them since- I will buy parts from them, just no kits or stocks).  The butt end of the stock kind@ twisted to the left (looking back to front) compared to the barrel channel.  I called them and sent it back, put a small mark on it, and when I received the “replacement” stock, it had the exact same issue and surprise, surprise, it even had the same mark as the stock I sent back to them.  So my kit cost even more then I thought and I was not happy.  I built the kit, test fired it, and promptly sold it.  I had put together 3 other Tulle kits from them for others people with no issues before this.  I won’t say they are not reputable, but I’d be leary of ordering a extra fancy stock.  Now if I was ordering one of Chambers or Kiblers kits with fancy wood, I wouldn’t hesitate, I’ve seen what people have gotten from them.  I can’t recall any posts about Tracks kits having “great” wood.
Bob

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:52:36 AM »
In this day and age there is no reason that you can't get good pictures of the stock blank and even then you can get taken advantage of. I have bought 6 blanks by picture, 3 good 3 not so good. Two of them (walnut) had decaying knots right it the cheek piece area, one of these was small enough that I could plug. The other knot ran up through the cheek piece area and came out in the comb of the blank, this hole was the size of a quarter. This stock did have beautiful figure but there was no mention of the bad spot in any of the correspondence and the pictures I received carefully avoided this area. I sent this one back. I received a supposedly high grade maple stock kit from a pretty well know supplier and the stock did not have consistent curl and it had places that had no curl at all, I sent the kit back.

3 out of 6 were bad, that was enough for me so I will not buy any wood that I have not seen. The only person I buy wood from by picture is Ron Scott. I have bought 2 stocks from Ron by picture and both were better than the pictures. I have known Ron for years and have always found him to be honest and fair.

All others I must see. If you don't make the effort to check out the blanks then don't complain about what you receive. Don't ask someone else to judge it for you, look at it yourself and make your own decision.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline AsMs

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:25 AM »
I bought a stock from Allen Martin that he posted pictures of in the for sale section. Very pleased with the stock. I would not hesitate to purchase a stock he posts for sale.

AsMs

Offline brokenhand

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 06:57:30 AM »
I also bought 2 stocks from Allen Martin that he had advertised on this forum. They were both good stocks that I was pleased with and he gave me a good price on them as well.

Offline AMartin

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and compliments ..
Haven't posted any recently but I have a really good selection of curly red maple ready to go and a fair amount of sugar (hard) maple that I just cut .

Once Pa flinter season is over and I get my butt back onto a normal  schedule .. I intend post another batch of wood !!

Best regards .. Allen