Author Topic: military Jaeger on virtual library  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Tommy Bruce

military Jaeger on virtual library
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
Hello all,  I've been contemplating doing a Jaeger  for a possible BAR reenactment group.  Does anyone have anymore info on the Military Jaeger that is photographed in the Virtual Library?  I'd love to see some pictures of the tang area.  It doesn't look like there's any carving and the lock looks almost like a large siler.  Any help would be appreciated.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: military Jaeger on virtual library
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »
The lock will probably be a tad larger than a Siler.  Generally, these military rifles had just a teardrop shape carved behind the tang, matching the teardrops behind the lock panels.  I don't think this particular gun is quite as attractive as some of the others I have photos of.  I'll be glad to email you a few.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
Thanks Chris,

I appreciate the photos.  You've been a wealth of information on the topic of Jaegers. 
R. Kipling

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:08:58 PM »
Im still actively looking for examples of traditional Jaeger slings of the same period.
Military or civilian....I hope its okay to post it here as I assume a sling may also be considered for the rifle you are making? Any info would be much appreciated.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:02 PM »
T.C., climb aboard!!  The more the merrier.  I guess I never put much thought into the sling.  My game plan was to cut down a military sling similer to what I use on my Brown Bess.
R. Kipling

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »
Thanks Tommy....Im looking for information and/or documentation on civilian sling styles suitable for a pretty high end jaeger...Trying to find info on 18th century non-military sling of any sort is turning out to be quite a challenge....
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »
Here' a picture of the only rifle sling I can find at the moment.

A plain leather strap, sewn on the ends to length.  Nothing much to it.

Wood and iron last 200-300 years, no problem.  Leather, on the other hand...

The Poser rifle that is in "The Great Guns" has a simple greenish woven linen strap.  Attached to the swivel in front with a brass button (kinda like the way they use a "Chicago screw" now), and I think put on the rear with the stocks sling button.  No hardware at all.

I have a photo of a rifle sling that belonged to some nobleman.  It is about 3" wide, black leather, with two smaller ends sewn on so it can be attached to the sling swivel and button.  It has large metal letters attached to the face of the sling standing for person's name and title.  It's in one of my many auction catalogs, and I haven't found it yet...  If I remember correctly, it's dated around 1800 or so.  If you have "The Collectors' Illustrated Encyclopedia of The American Revolution" it's constructed like the embroidered sling shown in that book.  I wonder about the date of that sling...

In the period images I have showing slings on rifles, I always see just a simple strap.  Nothing fancy.  Feel free to browse through this album: www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Jaeger 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:17:57 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tom patton

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
Chris,that sling in the Encyclopedia ,illustrated as a "civilian Jaeger rifle strap from Pennsylvania" was owned by Edward Charol a well known collector of early Americana and is illustrated on P.35 of Neuman and Kravic"  A few years ago George Carroll  known to many of us, brought one down to the Robin Hale show and as I recall it was very similar to the one mentioned above in Neuman and Kravic.I liked at and it looked very good.
Tom Patton

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Chambers' Steinschloss book shows a number of sling swivels. Surprisingly simple, even on the fanciest of guns. For front attachment, just a rounded hoop, with flattened ball ends for the screw to go thru. The rear attachment is most often a button, but I have seen a few with a steel screw in post with the sling buckle screwed to the post.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
A swivel at the rear is quite common also.  I have one old gun with a button, two with swivels (or at least, swivel studs), and one that is missing, so I don't know what it was.  I can say what I have, because none of them are really worth stealing!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:44:02 PM by Stophel »