Author Topic: Max Range  (Read 4337 times)

Offline shifty

Max Range
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:43:01 PM »
   What is your max range for shooting a deer  with a 50 cal RB?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Max Range
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:49:01 PM »
125 yards. When I stand hunt I pace off open shooting lanes and know the distances of this tree or that log. 125 yards would have to be a perfect, still, broadside shot with recent practice with that gun and no wind.
Andover, Vermont

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:08:47 PM »
I agree with Rich 100%.

For me it also depends on the rifle and load.   I limit myself to 75 yards with some rifles that I don't feel quite as comfortable with.

Also it depends on the deer.   If it is an "oh my gosh" buck that is not coming any closer I am more likely to take that 125 yard shot.   I can literally shoot a doe every time I go hunting, so taking a longer higher risk shot is something I know I don't have to do on a doe.

Also the older I get the more I am looking for a rest to shoot from instead of making that an off hand shot.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:32:53 PM »
With a 50, I agree with 125 yrs.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »
Anything over 60 yards I’m using a rest.  Not shooting a moving deer past 40 yards. Because we have just one shot. I was telling a friend about a shot I passed up and he was surprised. I explained, “it’s not like hunting with a modern repeater where it seems the first shot is just a warning shot sometimes, based on me hearing 4-5 shots in succession during deer season.”
Andover, Vermont

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
75 yards is my max with iron sights, but at that range I want a good, unobstructed, broadside shot at the vitals.  It really doesn't matter all that much for me cause I would be lucky to even see a deer at 75 yards in the heavy brush where I hunt.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »
My test to answer this question is this:  at what range can I consistently hit a pie plate every time with the rifle I choose (or the bow)?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 10:40:11 PM »
The farthest I've ever killed deer was one at 100 yards and one more at a little over that.  But I was hunting a hay field and using a hay bale for a rest.  I've killed running and moving deer but none was over 20 to 25 yards; beyond that I don't shoot.  Without a solid rest all other shots have been around 75 yds and under, mostly well under.  The .50 with a prb works just fine at 100 yds and beyond.  It's always been my shooting ability that determines whether or not I'm willing to take the shot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline shifty

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
  I was more interested in the killing ability of the said ball. I have killed one deer  at 75yds more or less . the shot was almost dead on frontal the ball hit about 2"s to the right of center and the deer made it about 5 feet after the shot before expiring . Most of my kills with ML and CF have been less than 50 yds and i do not take risky shots if i don't feel it is a perfect shot i pass and i have passed a lot. But more of i ML kills have been with a 54 cal not a 50 some with a 58 cal. Like the above post we just don't get many long shots around our woods most are about 30 yds, I shot a small buck one time with a TC  W M Carbine not RB and he just stood there and looked around for a few seconds then fell over dead, he was at 15yds.  I think that a RB kills really good at the ranges that i get to shoot  game at here.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
Shot placement is more important to me than range.  I tend to over estimate range in the field any way.  Being comfortable with placing the ball where I want it determines shoot/no shoot.  (try shooting silhouettes at 125 + yards).  Also feel there is a huge difference between a walking and running shot.  I don't take runners.  Hunting out west makes the challenge of stalking close a real rush.  Also, terminal velocity and energy are going down like the sun beyond 100 yards.  Penetration is still OK on deer size game but not so much for elk.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »
A patched round ball is grossly underrated as a game getter, if the shot placement is right but shot placement is the most important aspect with any choice of weapon. A 50 cal. is up to the job at 125 yds. if the load is strong enough and the shot is true.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 12:23:25 AM »
It took me 18 years to draw an Arizona muzzleloader tag in 6A.  We drove out a week early to scout and found where we wanted to be opening morning.  As daylight approached other hunters showed up to hunt the same area and ignored that we were there.  Went that way most of the hunt.  Anyway on the last day we were by Rattlesnake canyon just driving around as the snow was so frozen there was no way you could walk and sneak up on anything.  I was driving and all of a sudden my brother in law yells bull.  So I jumped out of the truck and leaned across the hood with my binoculars as I had not seen the bull.  He was a young spike (20 inch spikes) and about 200 yards out slowly walking towards the canyon.  So I grabbed my 58 caliber flintlock out of the truck, primed it and ran about 100 yards towards him.  Wind was in my favor.  Well there I am in the middle of an open field. 64 years old and panting so much I could not hold the gun still.  I looked in front of me and there was a fence post about 4 feet tall so I ran over to it and rested the rifle on it.  The elk was about 125 yards out and walking slowly quartered away from me.  I am very confident with that rifle so I aimed and shot.  He humped up but kept walking.  I had 2 speed loaders with me so I loaded again and ran to another fence post and shot again.  He humped up again but kept walking so I loaded and did the same thing a third time with the same result.  Now he was close to dropping down into the canyon and I was out of ammo.  I walked down to where I saw him last and about 50 yards from the edge of the canyon he had laid down but was still moving.  Brother in law showed up with my last speed loader so I loaded again and aimed at the back of his head.  As I pulled the trigger he dropped his head and I blew off an antler.  I hit him three times in the chest and two of the roundballs went all the way through and one stopped in the right front shoulder.   My load was 90 grains Goex FFG and a .570 roundball  with a .015 mink oiled patch.  Sorry such a long post but I just relived that hunt again and enjoyed it.  Brought all that delicious meat home on dry ice.  One bucket list item complete.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 12:49:23 AM »
Placed properly, a round ball can kill deer at distances far beyond the hunters ability to accurately shoot.  If one has the skill to hit a pie plate every time at any distance in field conditions, then the ball can kill a deer.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 01:24:50 AM »
For me and my eyesight, 50 yards. No matter what caliber. I prefer 58. BJH
BJH

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
Inside of 75 yds is my comfort zone if it's a solid supported shot 100 is doable  past that I'll let it walk and try to be a better hunter the next time out

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
My longest was a 100 yd one shot kill on a "smallish" S. Georgia spike buck. The only reason I took the shot was because I had a rest and had previously paced off the distance. Scouting had revealed the trail that was being used on the opposite side of an open pasture, through an opening in a fence line. I had practiced the 100 yd shot at the range and even with my eyesight and primitive sights on the 50 cal rifle, I had complete confidence in the 90 gn Goex load I was using.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »
Lots of replies about accuracy standards. As there always is to this often asked question.

Another question needs be asked.
How far away can you see a stick just large enough to deflect your shot?

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
Longest shot on deer 90 yards. It piled up in 15 yards. Longest on elk 95 yards. It went much further, but I didn't have enough lead. Got back of one lung. It ate really well. Shots I'm most proud of are those I've stalked in closer than 40 yards.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wolf

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 03:20:48 PM »
i have killed them 60yds with a 50 the longest shot with a flintlock was this year. i killed a doe 93 paces with my 54, that is about all i will shoot one with any open sight gun,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 12:45:53 AM »
I bought a life-sized photo image target of an antelope (they have deer and other species but I was going antelope hunting). Shot off sticks starting at 50-yards and moved back after about 10-shots, to 75- yards. Good group there too so I moved back to 100-yards. Those groups were good but once in a while I would pull one out of the vital zone. I ended up shooting several days at the 100-yard range and the groups shrunk so that they were all easily fatal in theory based on the vital zone. Once this was consistent, moved to 125-yards. There I had to hold quite a bit high but I was able to get 10 vital hits after working at it for a few sessions and over about 40 shots. On the actual hunt the antelope was 137-yards on my rangefinder if he stopped at the barbed wire. Turning to his right would take him further away and left would bring him closer. He chose right so I doped the wind, held a bit higher than my 125-yard hold and hit him squarely. My elevation ended up good but the wind pushed my ball a little more than I anticipated. Mortally wounded, he did not go far and I was able to sneak up to 100-yards and shoot him again, this time precisely where I intended. I hope I made a few points: 1) know your ability 2) know the rifles capability 3) know the real range 4) practice at the furthest you are willing to shoot 5) know how the wind effects your ball 6) practice as if you are hunting (whether off sticks, rest, various positions, etc. If you go through this exercise you will know how far you can shoot and be effective. If the ball goes where you want it even at some surprising ranges it will do its job. I reference a study one State did when they legalized air rifles for deer hunting. A projectile of .30 diameter at a MV of at least 800 fps and a ME of 250 ft/lbs is legal based on controlled kills by biologists and game managers. Whether we agree or not, this was their conclusion based on shooting deer with various sized projectile and velocities. These shots were all at a controlled 100-yards where there was a feeder. Our muzzleloaders are starting off with more ooomph than these air launched projectiles that the State experts deemed sufficient for deer hunting.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:50:18 AM by Sparkitoff »

Too-Tall Hunter

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:35 PM »
I've been following this thread for a while, debating whether to chime in.  This can sometimes be a contentious subject.  I know it certainly is in the archery community!  Sparkitoff, totally agree with spending range time to learn your gun, your load, and your ability.  Another thought I had, is that I didn't get into black powder firearms (muzzleloading, or cartridge) with the idea of reaching 350 yards across my back field and dropping a deer (that is the longest safe look I have where I hunt).  If that was my goal, I would have purchased a TC Encore hand cannon in .308 (cartridge rifles aren't legal in my zone but handguns are).

Deer season here starts in mid-Sept.  I try to get as much time in with my recurve as I can, but am picky about what deer I will shoot (adult doe, and typically let forkies and baskets walk).  As a result, I end up shooting most of my deer during the firearms/muzzleloader seasons.  I shoot my bows nearly year-round.  I practice out to 40 yards in the warmer months, but in the deer woods, 25 yards is my limit and preferably inside of 20.  Needless to say, switching over to a muzzeloader is night and day!

My point being, part of this is perspective and attitude.  With my TC and Investarms guns, 0-50 feels like slamdunk after bow season.  Beyond that is doable, but I want a rest and want a deer that is preferably standing still.  I am still working on getting comfortable with my vintage cape gun.  I have an accurate round ball load for the straight rifled barrel, but only had time to test it out to 50 yards this year, so that was my self imposed limit with that gun this fall.  I shot a deer with it at 30 yards.  I hit a little higher than intended, but she is in the freezer.  Considering how coarse the sights are, not sure that I would want to shoot that gun much beyond 50, but I plan to take it on out to 75 and 100 this summer, just to see what it, and I, can do.

The bottom line for me is that using a black powder/muzzleloading firearm is about nostalgia, challenge/fair-chase, and hunting skill, more than anything else.  Work up a good load for your particular gun.  Learn what it and you can do at various ranges and then stick to that in the field. I guess maybe one last thought.  If the shot doesn't "feel" right, don't take it. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 02:27:59 AM »
My test to answer this question is this:  at what range can I consistently hit a pie plate every time with the rifle I choose (or the bow)?

I agree with this and would add, with the rifle or smooth bore, at which range, using the method of shooting you use, rest, or otherwise.
My hunting rifle has more than enough power to work on deer or moose, right out to 300yards, however I never could keep them on the pie
plate at that range.  With a rest, I can still do it, (I think) at 200yards - but would have to re-test that using the pie plate. I don't shoot as well
as I used to shoot. I think maybe many of us are in that boat, so our new maximum ranges must be reeled in a bit.
I have used a laser range finder for most hunting for the last 20 years or so, so I always know the exact range, if I do not know it from sight or
 memory. 
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 03:16:38 AM »
My estimate of what 100 yards looks like is as far as I want to shoot at a live target.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Phil Neal

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
Much like too-tall hunter I too have hunted with a recurve bow for many years.  Stalking to inside 30 yards was always my goal.  Now with a Muzzle loader inside 100 is my goal.  Open country Nevada mule deer offer a fellow the opportunity to hone his stalking skills.  That said even inside 80 yards I would prefer to shoot off a rest of some sort.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
Yes, absolutely. I use a rest whenever possible. Nowadays I would likely not take a shot over 100 yds without one.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V