Author Topic: Great Set of Accouterments - With John Painter Rife of Botetourt Co., VA  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
A few months ago I acquired a John Painter rifle [back action lock] with its original hunting bag & powder horn, powder measure, and blowing/hunting horn. I thought the accouterments were special, so I picked up the outfit at auction despite the fact I don't collect VA items. When I finally received the set, it was better than I thought. Auction house didn't show the contents of bag. Inside were the original bag strap - which fits up perfectly to the bag where it broke off - and two pieces of the powder horn strap, the ball mold, can of caps, chunk of tow, dirty piece of thin cotton, and thicker piece of jean material. There was also a short length of hickory, probably a piece of ramrod, that apparently was the ball starter. Anyway, despite the rifle not being great, the accessories were very complete, and nice to see still assembled a century and a half or more later. I thought everyone might like to see them..nice pieces...since we haven't had much new on this board in a while. For those who like dimensions, the powder horn is 13-1/8 inches on outside curve, blowing horn 16 inches, and powder measure 4 inches. Horn plug is a very nice stepped "bee hive" style but doesn't show well in picture, and is worn on the sides. Leather is still strong and pliable despite strap breaking off at top of bag. Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 05:48:45 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Great Set of Accouterments - With John Painter Rife of Botetourt Co., VA
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 01:18:26 AM »
 Great set! Always nice to find everything together. Is that an applied band/collar on the powder horn? Very Virginia-ish to me. The Hunting horn with the two bands quite a bonus.

Tim

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:38:02 AM »
I agree with Tim, outstanding set of accouterments and thanks for sharing. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:06:24 AM »
The blowing horn has two applied rings, one reinforcing the bell, and the other on the spout for strap retention. Four tiny, short iron pins attach the support ring at the bell end. There is a small, brass cone attached as a mouth piece. The slightly shorter powder horn has the two smaller, integral rings on spout for strap attachment. It also has a nicely polished back side from a lot of bag wear.

For anyone who might be curious, I didn't show the rifle because this is an "accouterments" board, plus the rifle is rather plain. Rifle is full-stock with back-action lock. Barrel has two elaborate, scrolled initials, "J P." It was once heavily cleaned  and refinished, and is obviously lighter than it should be. It has a smaller, oval side opening cap/patch box with fully engraved lid in butt, and an extended toe plate also fully [and nicely] engraved...otherwise a plain looking rifle. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:19:07 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
Very nice. Thanks for sharing these.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »
 I don't think it would matter if you put the rifle in. Always nice to see the whole set and for me, anyway any Botetourt Co. rifle is worth seeing.

Thanks, Tim

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
Great set and post. I really like to see a hunting horn included. I think they are an understated accouterment to hunting sets from the past. I have one blowing horn with the applied band at the mouth for reinforcement of the strap.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 08:45:46 PM »
Shelby, thanks for posting this as I love seeing the original stuff with a bag.  Can you give us bag lovers some measurements on the bag and some specifics such as bound edges, etc?  I'm wondering what purpose that row of stitches serves on the bottom of the gusset??  Also, is the flap separate from the back or one piece with the back?  I may try to make one like it.

Thanks again!

Scott
Remember Paoli!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
Earlier today I posted pictures of the John Painter rifle that goes with these accouterments over on the Antique Gun Collecting board, in case anyone wants to see a Botetourt Co., VA rifle.

For those of you interested in the bag construction, here's my best efforts on describing it.

1. Width across top of bag... when flattened [but not stretched] = 9-3/4 inches
2. Height, taken on back side, from top of bag to bottom seam where back meets bottom piece = 7-1/8 inches
3. Bottom piece at middle of bag is 2-5/8 inches wide.

Bag is made in four large pieces and one small strip. The flap is a separate piece, along with the front, back, and bottom pieces. The 5th piece is a small strip folded over the top edge where flap and back side are joined, and stitched to hold it all together.

The bottom is "reasonably" even in width across the width of the bag, then tapers up along each side to a point, about 1/3 the way up the side of the bag.

All stitching is welted, with a small strip of leather in-between the two pieces being sewn together.

There is a decorative stitched border around the bottom of the bag, running about 3/8" out from the seam. It appears the same decorative stitch also made a border around the flap, but the stitches are long gone and only a shadow of the original stitch line still remains.

I hope that helps any of you with an interest in the bag.

I am attaching a picture of the powder horn's plug, since the plug can't really be seen in the prior photos. There's a good bit of wear on the plug's edges, but it is a nice bee-hive style plug in end-grain walnut, with a staple for strap attachment.      Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:56:05 AM by Tanselman »

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 04:55:36 AM »
Thanks for adding the bag specifics, Shelby!
Sure is a wide one at the top.
Remember Paoli!

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 04:11:16 AM »
That is really a great set.   Thanks for posting
kind regards, heinz

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 06:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the photos, and good job in being able to acquire the rifle and all its accessories!  I’m not a collector, but I do know how seldom opportunities like that arise!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
Wow, great find. Interesting to me is that short piece of "ram rod". If it was indeed a " bulger", short starter then you have what might be considered "proof" of their use "back then".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:48:44 AM by smylee grouch »