Author Topic: Older eyes sights  (Read 5321 times)

Online bob in the woods

Re: Older eyes sights
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 01:34:55 AM »
My rifle sights have a simple 1/4 in square notch on the rear and a wide front {blob....about 1/8th in wide.   When the front sight is level with the rear when sighting, I'm "on" at up to 50 yards or so.   At 100 yards, I put the front sight above the rear sight ie resting on the imaginary line above the notch.
Very fast, and easy to see , since I can concentrate on the target. It doesn't matter if the sights are a bit blurry.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 09:10:02 PM »
I'm 68 and when my vision decided to go it went to where I couldn't see my sights as anything but a blur in 3 months. I make a simple peep sight and have one on all my rifles. Really works for me.
I make the rear sight to the height I want it then make a new front sight and file it down to sight it in.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Lslite

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »
Does anyone offer these type of peep sights for sale ?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »

Lowell Haarer does i believe.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 07:36:21 PM »
I have experimented with peening and shaping the front edge of the front sight blade until I’m seeing a shotgun bead when I look through the widened gap on my rear sight. It doesn’t take much peening to give that effect and it’s much easier to see for me. Also, the big barreled front sight AM uses on some of his guns is the best hunting front sight I’ve ever used for a solid sight pic at 75y and in.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 11:52:04 AM »

I make my own sights and I'm not aware of anyone else making a sight like this. The one Lowell Haarer makes is much different than the ones I make.
My sights are designed to be small and unobtrusive and hopefully to blend with a longrifle. And no, I do not offer them for sale.

Offline meangene1969

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 07:23:28 PM »
Thank you for this post. Great info for a new shooter with average eyes.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 07:40:02 PM »
I've had to make sights for some of my rifles for fellows with poor eye sight.  One of the ones they like best is what I call the punkin' on the post sight.
The rear sight slopes slightly forward rather than to the rear, has a perfectly flat top and a gold band inlet into the centre running vertically from the base to the top flat.  It is about 1/32" wide.  The front sight is standard silver blade but the back edge of the front sight slopes in the other direction, further forward at the base than at the tip, and the tip has a 45 degree bevel filed and polished.  this creates a front sight that is black on the bottom part and is a glowing bead on the top.
The idea is to place the bead on the tip of the gold bar, and on the spot you want the ball to go...punkin' on the post.  Works well for diminished eye sight shooters.  It also helps to place the rear sight on the barrel about 14" or 15" ahead of the breech.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 10:57:30 PM »

I make my own sights and I'm not aware of anyone else making a sight like this. The one Lowell Haarer makes is much different than the ones I make.
My sights are designed to be small and unobtrusive and hopefully to blend with a longrifle. And no, I do not offer them for sale.
Dark horse could you show a picture or explain how your site attaches to the tang . I really like that small size and shape of it .

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43554.msg425873#msg425873

Most of the photos have dropped out of the post but I tried to reattach one that shows  basically how it was done. Do a search for Darkhorse and peep sights, there are several threads. Maybe some good info in a couple.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 07:36:45 AM »
    Not perfect by any means at longer range but a cheap dollar store 1X ( one power) reading glasses keep my shooting targets and small game.  I carry a extra pair in a light tin in my rifle bag.  Give them a try.

MTGUNNER

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 02:21:12 AM »
With the age of 65 I count myself in for the older age, wondering what sort of open sights would be the easiest thing to to sight with older eyes without modern correcting shooting glasses
Thanks for looking and sharing
Hawkeye Hugo
Lots of good looking sights down below, but I Think I'll try a "Skinner Express" sight. ;D

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 04:45:34 AM »
Some good idea's working with those tang peeps for sure... I did notice on the longer ones that they didn't have a small set screw (that I could see) installed to keep them from moving left or right if bumped on the tang - unless I missed something? Overall, a great idea for sure!  :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline oldways

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2021, 04:52:23 PM »
 I don't have the tools or place to try and make a peep sight. You may want to look at track of the wolfs web sight they sell two sizes of dove tail peep sights. I have cataracts and astigmatism in both eyes. I purchased one of there sights and it helped me for shooting targets not so much for hunting.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 02:44:07 AM »
Try putting 4 pound test leader line ...into #14 fly...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2021, 04:24:21 AM »
My fly bag has a pair of 4X readers for running fine tippet lines into small hook eyes.
Coupled with the magnifiers of my bi-foculs, I get that job done just fine. Without those
4X'ers, I'd be lost.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hudson

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
Basically I like partridge sites but with a wide rear notch, wide! Normally an eight inch some times more. Front site, wide or narrow haven’t decided yet mainly with lots of light on both sides of the blade. I have been working with a set of express sites that seam promising
Sharp Site an optical aid has worked well for me; it was designed and manufactured by a good friend sorry to say he is no longer with us.

https://www.ebay.com/c/715232000